Diesel in Northampton

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

On Monday morning we will be passing through Northampton on the Nene then on up to Gayton. The thing is we are a bit short of diesel. Canal plan reckons it's 5.75 hours cruising from where we are to Gayton and I'm not sure we've got enough. I've dipped the tank and we've got about 5" left. This being a new (to us) boat means I don't know if that's enough. Is there anywhere in Northampton that sells diesel?

PS Hate the guillotine locks on the Nene!

It's very easy to miss the turn for Billing.. It's right after a bridge, and the sign is small. But yes, they sell diesel. There is also the marina in Northampton, which I would think sells diesel. Local boats will also know when the coal boat is due through. They sell diesel too.

As you come into Billing Aquadrome, keep right and go past the boats, keeping them on your left. The service point is in the far corner. Colin is the chap who will serve you, and he is very helpful if you keep him chatting...

Don't Northampton Marina sell diesel? Run by a forum member.

As you're in Northampton and heading up to Gayton, you might be caught up by Bletchley who sell fuel, they were in Titchmarsh heading towards you at the beginning of yesterday. 07856 (space to confuse spam bots) 686 (another space) 363 or nenefuels (at sign) gmail.com

Having said that, you're not going far. If the fuel take off is horizontal from the tank, measure how high it is, then subtract that from the 5" to work out how many inches of diesel you have left accessible.

I'd be surprised if you used more than 3 or 4 litres from Northampton to Gayton, though, it's slow going in tickover (so fuel efficient) and idling in locks.

If you wanted to be certain, I'd buy a 5 litre petrol can fill it with white diesel from a garage, and pit that in the tank, which would easily see you to Gayton.

I'd happily go up the flight and arm with 5" left in the tank on my previous and current boat, so I reckon you'd be alright.

On Monday morning we will be passing through Northampton on the Nene then on up to Gayton. The thing is we are a bit short of diesel. Canal plan reckons it's 5.75 hours cruising from where we are to Gayton and I'm not sure we've got enough. I've dipped the tank and we've got about 5" left. This being a new (to us) boat means I don't know if that's enough. Is there anywhere in Northampton that sells diesel?

PS Hate the guillotine locks on the Nene!

We saw you going through Ditchford lock today, hubby said what a lovely colour boat you have. If you have gone passed billing turn, you have Northampton marina at Becketts Park and then by the carlsberg building Morrisons is walking distance and they have a petrol station.

Sorry, we don't sell diesel at northampton marina. You're best bet is to catch Bletchley.

Just to add, Northampton Marina is just a marina and services, no chandlery or shops, although you can get your EA navigation key and river license here!

No apology needed, most of us would assume a marina has diesel, its just we're actually in the lock island and its something to do with transferring fuel over water. (I'm sure someone will know all the legal requirements and technical difficulties of this, but I'm just the cleaner! ;-) )

No apology needed, most of us would assume a marina has diesel, its just we're actually in the lock island and its something to do with transferring fuel over water. (I'm sure someone will know all the legal requirements and technical difficulties of this, but I'm just the cleaner! ;-) )

Rules and regs, where would we be without them ...

If you're not sure if you'll make it to Gayton or not, & you dont see the coal boat Bletchley, I would recommend getting a bit from Morrissons. After you've gone through Northampton Lock, you will see a yellow & green pedestrian suspension bridge, it's before Southbridge (the main road) which is before Carlsberg.
Moor there & Morrissons is to your right.
I came down the Northampton arm Friday & it's very weedy (cut weeds, in the cut), it took me almost 8 hours when I was expecting 4. Every lock set against me, & not much water between locks 13 & 2

Well, we love the arm! The weeds aren't that bad, the local IWA branch have been working hard all the way down the arm to spruce it up, but occasionally bits do fall in the cut, and along with reed roots that naturally break off and 'club' together. Most of the top gates have been fixed, but some of the bottom gates leak so they will end up set against you when coming down, and there are a couple of pounds that leak. We usually bring a lock full of water down with us! ;-)

Having said all that, its a beautiful arm and well worth doing (imo)

• Greenie 1

14july06005.jpg

Favorite lock, worth a coffee break and watch the mayhem above, M1 !

The trees have grown since that was taken. You can't really see the M1 anymore.

Since giving up the rat-race and moving onto the boat, I've taken to greeting traffic jams seen from the boat with a cheery "Hello Lemmings!".

I've got to get my entertainment somehow!

MP.

The trees have grown since that was taken. You can't really see the M1 anymore.Since giving up the rat-race and moving onto the boat, I've taken to greeting traffic jams seen from the boat with a cheery "Hello Lemmings!".I've got to get my entertainment somehow!MP.

Yes it was taken a while ago.

Well, we love the arm! The weeds aren't that bad, the local IWA branch have been working hard all the way down the arm to spruce it up, but occasionally bits do fall in the cut, and along with reed roots that naturally break off and 'club' together. Most of the top gates have been fixed, but some of the bottom gates leak so they will end up set against you when coming down, and there are a couple of pounds that leak. We usually bring a lock full of water down with us! ;-)

Having said all that, its a beautiful arm and well worth doing (imo)

Obviously you havent spent enough time in Northampton. When living in Northampton you are supposed to be a miserable old sod complaining about anything & everything. Take a look at the comments on the Chronicle & Echo website for examples!

Edit. But they did show a sense of humour on the toilet thread

I had considerably more water than that 1 st photo. The weeds were between locks 14 & 17

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Yes, i had noticed that! ;-)

I think it's normal to complain about where you live though, especially if its the same place you were born, but I do try to see the good in people and places even though I'm a Gainsborough lass!!

It could be worse, You could have been born a Scunthorpe lass.