looking for a boat to rent in central london

luna rosa

Featured Posts

• 2 months later...
mackdewin, on 28 Jun 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:mackdewin, on 28 Jun 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

Hey there are many boat rentals from from where you can rent a bot. i knew a boat rentals named Prime Luxury Rentals this may be useful for you. Best of luck!

I think the request was for a rental a little nearer 'home' but your suggestion could be useful for any USA members.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thank you. I am wanting to do a narrowboat holiday so I'm trying to glean as much info as I may beforehand.

Well - you've come to the right place - - ;)

When (roughly) are you looking to hire, for how long, in any particular part of the country - - and how many of you in the party?

You'll get loads of advice, (some of it, doubtless, conflicting, but the vast majority of it will be based on experience and personal opinion)

Welcome to CWDF.

And what sort of thing interests you? Although the canals pass through lovely countryside much of the time, they are in origin one of the foundations of our industrial revolution, and tremendously interesting from that perspective.

But if you just want to sample proper ale, they can help with that too.

I'm wanting to do a longer term rental, more than a fortnight. 3-4 months would be ideal. I've been looking at places such as Escape the Rat Race, and looking at the boats on Apollo Duck. A Black Prince holiday is just not going to be long enough for me. I don't just want to pilot a boat for two weeks. I want the opportunity to stop in a town for a week or so, get to know the name whomever is working behind the bar at the local pub before I head out to the next market town, and know England by the time I go home.

Backstory:

Not married, no kids, self employed artist, house is paid off--so I can justify crazy long holidays. It will be just me for the most part. My sister flies international for Delta, she'll come hang out with me here and there. Back when I was married, once a year the ex and I would do the typical version of an American's European vacation. She would plan them out and I would hate every second of it. For example, our Italy trip was 2 days in Rome, a day in Pisa, a day in Siena, a day in Florence, a day in Venice, fly home out of Milan. All I saw of Italy was the inside of a Fiat Multipla (I guess it could be argued that is better than seeing the outside of a Multipla).

I have since learned my lesson and now I'll save up for a few years and stay in one place for as long as I can. Not only do I get to see sights I've never seen before I actually get to know the people, which to me is the better of the two. I went to Paris last year I rented a cheap flat for two months and by the time I left I could speak pidgin French. The trip before that I spent six weeks in Scotland. It takes longer than six weeks to understand a Glaswegian.

I've been to London a few times, now I'm wanting to know what England is like on the outside of the Ring Road. Can't think of a better way than at 4mph. And it seems like y'all boat folk are a community unto yourselves, all be it spread out, so there is the community I get to meet.

I looking at making the crossing sometime in 2016.

Edited by AllenG

I'm wanting to do a longer term rental, more than a fortnight. 3-4 months would be ideal. I've been looking at places such as Escape the Rat Race, and looking at the boats on Apollo Duck. A Black Prince holiday is just not going to be long enough for me. I don't just want to pilot a boat for two weeks. I want the opportunity to stop in a town for a week or so, get to know the name whomever is working behind the bar at the local pub before I head out to the next market town, and know England by the time I go home.

Backstory:

Not married, no kids, self employed artist, house is paid off--so I can justify crazy long holidays. It will be just me for the most part. My sister flies international for Delta, she'll come hang out with me here and there. Back when I was married, once a year the ex and I would do the typical version of an American's European vacation. She would plan them out and I would hate every second of it. For example, our Italy trip was 2 days in Rome, a day in Pisa, a day in Siena, a day in Florence, a day in Venice, fly home out of Milan. All I saw of Italy was the inside of a Fiat Multipla (I guess it could be argued that is better than seeing the outside of a Multipla).

I have since learned my lesson and now I'll save up for a few years and stay in one place for as long as I can. Not only do I get to see sights I've never seen before I actually get to know the people, which to me is the better of the two. I went to Paris last year I rented a cheap flat for two months and by the time I left I could speak pidgin French. The trip before that I spent six weeks in Scotland. It takes longer than six weeks to understand a Glaswegian.

I've been to London a few times, now I'm wanting to know what England is like on the outside of the Ring Road. Can't think of a better way than at 4mph. And it seems like y'all boat folk are a community unto yourselves, all be it spread out, so there is the community I get to meet.

I looking at making the crossing sometime in 2016.

Great stuff.

Well - 3 - 4 months is a great length of extended holiday, and I am full of admiration for your plan.

As for rental for that period of time, yes - there's ETRR, you could also consider speaking to a number of the hire companies and agreeing a (much reduced) rate for a 4 month hire, or, as another on the forum is currently considering - buying a boat and selling it at the end of your break . . (assuming you ever want to finish - iof course!)

;)

Great stuff.

Well - 3 - 4 months is a great length of extended holiday, and I am full of admiration for your plan.

As for rental for that period of time, yes - there's ETRR, you could also consider speaking to a number of the hire companies and agreeing a (much reduced) rate for a 4 month hire, or, as another on the forum is currently considering - buying a boat and selling it at the end of your break . . (assuming you ever want to finish - iof course!)

;)

6 months is as along as the Crown will let me stay without being married to a Brit.

I toy with the idea of buying a boat and then selling it at a deal of a lifetime cut rate when I'm done. But as a foreigner that's a hell of a lot of risk. Do I buy sight unseen, how do I have a survey done without being there, I don't even want to think about the taxes, what if I can't sell it, etc.? Not that any of that will stop me from looking at boats on Apollo Duck, or Rugby and the like (I've been lurking for a while).

I'm going to get a butty buddy pass from my sister and come over this fall or next year and do nothing but look at boats for a week. I think that is the only way for me to really know which way to go.

Edited by AllenG

I'm going to get a butty buddy pass from my sister and come over this fall or next year and do nothing but look at boats for a week. I think that is the only way for me to really know which way to go.

On that note, if you were going to go to one boat rally in a year to see the largest verity of narrow boats that one could, to which would you go?

Edit, apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, it was unintentional.

Edited by AllenG

On that note, if you were going to go to one boat rally in a year to see the largest verity of narrow boats that one could, to which would you go?

Edit, apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, it was unintentional.

It might be better to go and see a good broker with a decent selection of used boats available. You certainly wouldn't want to buy new as that would guarantee a large loss, and anyway getting a boat built is a struggle, particularly if you are in a different country.

And before you ask, Rugby Boats has a good name. http://rugbyboats.co.uk/

I've met a couple of people from across the oceans who have a "share" in a boat.

One of them travels over from Australia to boat for 6 weeks every year. Another has two shares and does 12 weeks.

Edited by mark99