Towpath Mooring Management 31 March 2014

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

We have just come down from Bulls Bridge through Little Venice to the Lee Navigation. We were astonished by the extent of mooring with almost every single possible mooring spot occupied many double and triple moored.

To this extent it will be seen as successful but we were really worried by the prospects of moving these boats now that the winter concession has finished. After months of convenient mooring, how many will be willing to leave and where will they go?

The retrospective on this may be more complex than initially expected.

For those interested in these things the latest update on Towpath Mooring Management

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5864.pdf

• Greenie 1

We have just come down from Bulls Bridge through Little Venice to the Lee Navigation. We were astonished by the extent of mooring with almost every single possible mooring spot occupied many double and triple moored.

To this extent it will be seen as successful but we were really worried by the prospects of moving these boats now that the winter concession has finished. After months of convenient mooring, how many will be willing to leave and where will they go?

The retrospective on this may be more complex than initially expected.

Sorry not quite sure what difference winter makes I am sure I must be miss understanding something in your post. There are a lot of boats in London all year.

Sorry not quite sure what difference winter makes I am sure I must be miss understanding something in your post. There are a lot of boats in London all year.

First: observation in comparison with same time last two ?three years

Second: similar observations by others

Three: London winter mooring scheme which has encouraged double mooring where previously usually single. In several cases triple is happening.

Four: we saw absolutely no visitor moorings that were not occupied in a clearly longer term basis

. . .

If today's experience is the same year long (and I know it has long been difficult) then it is not worth coming to London as a visitor. I will take some convincing that all but a very small number will still be in place in a month' time probably much longer.

The volunteer lock keeper reported that nothing has been done about excessive over staying on the Victoria park VM.

Although the CaRT web site claims that the new winter moorings in London would be on non VM locations, there are so few designated VMs that the winter spaces are all on places where visitors moor.