Installing an isolator switch.

Featured Posts

I wish to put an isolator switch near the bow located AGM battery (it drives the gurly fan thingummy in the pointy end)

The 'charging' cable that runs the length of the boat is fused, and I wish to add an isolation switch near the battery (so I may disconnect when equalising the leisure bank at the blunt end)

Should I fit the switch between the battery and the fuse, or should the fuse be between the battery and the switch - - (or does it not make a difference?)

Many thanks for your help

Sounds to me like a poorly designed set-up in the first place if your bow-fan battery remains connected to the leisure battery bank with the engine OFF. What stops the leisure batts draining it when you are watching the telly?

I'm inclined to say it needs a split charging relay (the same as the starter battery has) to isolate it. Then you won't need the switch you mention.

Additionally though, I think it should have an isolator switch in the positive battery lead anyway to comply with BSS.

MtB

I wish to put an isolator switch near the bow located AGM battery (it drives the gurly fan thingummy in the pointy end)

The 'charging' cable that runs the length of the boat is fused, and I wish to add an isolation switch near the battery (so I may disconnect when equalising the leisure bank at the blunt end)

Should I fit the switch between the battery and the fuse, or should the fuse be between the battery and the switch - - (or does it not make a difference?)

Many thanks for your help

Battery -> Fuse -> Isolator

I would put it at the leisure batteries as it may be more convenient than at t'other end.

I probably do not understand the question but I would expect there to be an isolation switch near to the bow-thruster battery to comply with the BSS.

Only to isolate the bow thruster.

Additionally though, I think it should have an isolator switch in the positive battery lead anyway to comply with BSS.

They should be one to isolate the bow thruster (as well as a fuse). You can't use the same isolator to isolate the batteries unless it's one of those combined ones, which may be an option.