Chelsea Moorers Told To Weigh Anchor

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Just caught a 'snippet' at the end of the Radio 2 news saying :

"Chelsea boaters told to weigh anchor and clear off to make way for the Russians"

Anyone any idea what its all about ?

Googled "Chelsea boaters told to weigh anchor" and this was one of the newpaper reports

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/chelsea-houseboat-owners-told-to-weigh-anchors-to-make-room-for-russian-megayachts-9225380.html

In 1905 there was a mutiny on board the Potemkin. Probably not the same ship.

Martyn

I se they managed to find a moorer who didn't have a beard and a bobbly hat (and indeed who was rather photogenic), that should help get public sympathy on the boaters' side.

Good name for her boat as well. Any connection do you think? Edited by Nightwatch

O'dear - more London boaters made homeless.

With the apparent migration (of all boats under about £25k) heading Southwards, "someone" is going to have to do "something" soon.

It will be anarchy and chaos.

Is it down to the Government or local Councils ? - as we continuously hear that "C&RT is not a hosuing authority"

• Greenie 1

In 1905 there was a mutiny on board the Potemkin. Probably not the same ship.

Martyn

Good name for her boat as well. Any connection do you think?

That's the Potemkin to which I was referring, possibly in jest.

Yes, I did notice the rather fitting name of Miss Leotard's boat!

I see that the person the Standard interviewed just happens to work for the BBC....

Would we have even heard about it otherwise, as it's only a handful of boats that are affected.? And the story mentions that other boat owners there are afraid to put their heads above the parapet?

I see Miss Leotard says "something should be done because people who live on the river need to have rights"

Do they? Really? Maybe it's actually the other way around and people who need to have rights shouldn't live on the river.

If she wants security of tenure she has the right to buy herself a house or a flat (or a residential mooring) just like everyone else in the UK.

However, she claims she cannot afford a flat in London. There is no automatic right in the UK for anyone to be able to afford a flat in London. Maybe there should be, but currently there isn't and I don't see that changing in the forseeable, in our free market economy.

MtB

• Greenie 3

Why not?

Not sure about mooring availability, though.

Tim

Round the edge, maybe, but it's far too big for even the Grand Union.

If she can get to Liverpool, the Ship Canal and Manchester dock area still have some wharves.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

Round the edge, maybe, but it's far too big for even the Grand Union.

Salford Media City is on the Manchester Ship Canal.

I don't know what that boat's original purpose was, but it was clearly built for lumpy water.

Tim

A friend of mine bought an almost new boat sold by a BBC producer who had paid a fortune to have it built and then decided he didn't like canals.

The boat was externally stunning, and internally as well, however, it was an AntonyM fitout and a pile of shite under the skin.

I just read the article on FB. I don't know what they're complaining about. They're tenants on a rented mooring.

I've rented houses and flats all over the country where work has taken me, for years. Sometimes the landlord has put the property on the market and I've had to move out when it sold. In one case the landlord put the rent up and I chose to move out as I didn't think it was fair value for money anymore. I didn't complain or demand rights - I accepted that as I was merely a tenant. So are they.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

The battleship Potemkin passed under Tower Bridge about an hour ago. Now we know where it's going.

You must be mistaken, the real battleship Potemkin was scrapped in 1923.

Talk of "Russian mega-yachts" is the Evening Standard's hyperbole, as Roman Abramovich's yacht certainly wouldn't get under London Bridge and I imagine would probably not fit through the Woolwich barrier. What Ms Leotard actually said seems to be:

"I expect you will see big Russian oligarchs down here in about five years’ time". So she was talking about the size of the owner rather than the boat?

Seriously, yes she seems to be yet another person trying to talk up their entitlement to a prime residential London mooring at way below market value, when no such entitlement exists. The article didn't mention any denial from her of the landlord's accusation that she'd failed to provide insurance documents. "People are terrified" she says. Yeah right. Just move the boat to a cheaper location and stop whinging. Better get it insured first if you plan a voyage to Salford! Or sell it and buy the flat you say you can't afford... does she know how cheap flats are in say Croydon (a pretty easy commute) compared to central London?

They came for the Jews, but I said nothing, because I'm not Jewish.

Then they came for the gays, and I said nothing, cause I'm not gay.

And when they came for me, there was nobody left to help me...

Some of you may find that karma can be a real bitch.....eventually..

• Greenie 1

Funny how the picture showed a person at the wheel of a static houseboat probably permanently moored there, as if she was going anywhere!!!!

She is soon, so she's practising what it feels like to be at the wheel. Over the next week or two I expect she'll progress to turning the ignition, a short blast on the horn and finding out what the other controls do. Maybe even a short test excursion to Battersea.

I se they managed to find a moorer who didn't have a beard and a bobbly hat (and indeed who was rather photogenic), that should help get public sympathy on the boaters' side.

It did take 12 hours in "make-up and wardrobe" to transform her from this, though...

great-grandfather_grice+(2).jpg