New marinas - Doncaster area

CygnusV

Featured Posts

Well, there is one in Donny town centre - full of water, but no boats or services last time I was in the area. Anyone know what is happening there?

Stainforth, also Nr Donny. We saw the plans before the recession (while at the New Inn, hush hush then) and heard a rumour this last week that things are afoot and moving forward again. Are they?

On a wider area and basis. Who knows what is happening where, in terms of new, extended or closing marinas? Consensus appears to be that the economy is moving again, so how are the waterways benefitting?

Edited by CygnusV

Well, there is one in Donny town centre - full of water, but no boats or services last time I was in the area. Anyone know what is happening there?

Stainforth, also Nr Donny. We saw the plans before the recession (while at the New Inn, hush hush then) and heard a rumour this last week that things are afoot and moving forward again. Are they?

On a wider area and basis. Who knows what is happening where, in terms of new, extended or closing marinas? Consensus appears to be that the economy is moving again, so how are the waterways benefitting?

I asked about the same marina proposals for the S&K on here recently. No body seemed to know. The plans still feature on the developers web site though.

http://www.waystone.co.uk/Stainforth

Personally I don't think there is sufficient need for such a development, the demand for boating and mooring services up here couldn't even sustain Staniland at Thorne which ceased trading recently.

Edited by The Dog House

There was a story doing the rounds of the towpath that Richard Budge was going to build a marina at Selby on the cleared land by the side of Selby Lock. Not heard anything for a long time. Apparently as it would have its own access directly into the River Ouse it would not need an access agreement to Selby canal.

Unless I'm putting the wrong search terms into Google, there seems to be a dearth of statistics about trends in the use of inland waterways. The best I could find in a quick search is a CRT document comparing numbers of boats passing through the same locks in 2012 and 2013, mostly counted by telemetry, i.e. automatic counting from instruments. These "lockage" figures show only a tiny increase overall for 2013, but with some regional variation, and come with the reasonable warning that differences in weather and stoppages from one year to the next can make them unreliable. They are of course a measurement of boat movement not numbers.

As CRT must have a database of licenced boats to record and enforce payment of licence fees and to be able to inform owners when a problem is reported with a boat, I know as an IT expert that it should be a simple matter for them to monitor trends in the numbers, broken down by the available data such as mooring type and area, boat type etc. I would be astonished if they don't use such data internally for forward planning, and see no good reason why aggregated statistics shouldn't be published, for example to enable anyone considering building a marina to develop their business plan to support a loan application.

The long term future of the network is a subject dear to my heart, as I'm steadily becoming more interested in boating and hope that the network will be there in good health for myself and future generations to use. I would expect that with the economy increasingly showing signs of recovery, currently doing well in London but spreading outwards as is often the way, spending on leisure boating should be increasing, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Timothy West & Prunella Scales series "Great Canal Journeys" encourages more people to try boating too. It looks as if CRT were keen to help that series get made, with good reason.

Anecdotal evidence suggests a particular upward trend in the numbers of CC'ers (genuine and of the not-so-mobile variety!), probably because some enjoy the lifestyle and others find it a cheaper alternative to bricks and mortar, but that won't help the marinas of course except that they get a little temporary mooring income. This growth in CC'ers will be limited by available mooring space unless they spread themselves out more evenly, because ultimately the CRT has to keep the Regent's Canal and western K&A open for navigation.

• Greenie 1

I do wonder if there is the demand in the current climate.

The moorings at Clayworth on The Chesterfield have always had a long waiting list but currently it is practically non existant. I know not everyone wants to be on a canal where you have to deal with a tidal river to go anywhere other than that canal but it is certainly fairly close to Doncaster

There was a story doing the rounds of the towpath that Richard Budge was going to build a marina at Selby on the cleared land by the side of Selby Lock. Not heard anything for a long time. Apparently as it would have its own access directly into the River Ouse it would not need an access agreement to Selby canal.

You mean this Mick. Planning approved it seems.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10911933.___Unique____marina_development_set_for_approval/

I wonder what the implications (if any) are for the LTM's at Selby lock if that goes ahead...

Should have Google a bit more. Perhaps not approved:

http://selbytimes.info/dismay-as-marina-plans-blown-out-of-the-water-p1087-1.htm

I wonder what the implications (if any) are for the LTM's at Selby lock if that goes ahead...

The plans on the council website show the marina entrance just above the lock where the pontoons are now. Shows some linear moorings from the marina entrance to the swing bridge. The plans not being passed would seem to be over the mix of housing, which can be fixed and the developers unwillingness to contribute a large sum of money to the councils funds, which might not be fixed!

Should have Google a bit more. Perhaps not approved:http://selbytimes.info/dismay-as-marina-plans-blown-out-of-the-water-p1087-1.htm

The plans on the council website show the marina entrance just above the lock where the pontoons are now. Shows some linear moorings from the marina entrance to the swing bridge. The plans not being passed would seem to be over the mix of housing, which can be fixed and the developers unwillingness to contribute a large sum of money to the councils funds, which might not be fixed!

I read it as the Selby Times article referring to the plans being rejected is an earlier piece as it refers to eight story buildings. The Yorkshire press article refers to a previous rejection and refers to four story buildings, which was presumably approved after a revised planning application was submitted.

Should have Google a bit more. Perhaps not approved:

http://selbytimes.info/dismay-as-marina-plans-blown-out-of-the-water-p1087-1.htm

Hi Pete.. long time no see.... Hope everyone is well..

Looks like the developer may have changed from Richard Budge - But I can also understand the developers not wanting to stump up a million pounds plus to the council. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.... As I said it was some time back that I saw a plan it was on-line and in the form of a coloured brochure. There were moorings for about 80 boats and some commercial properties. I don't remember any housing but its quite a while ago now. The main item was the provision of a set of lock/flood gates giving access directly onto the river. I wondered at the time why they would want to go that route rather than from the canal!

I hope is comes into being as it would provide some much needed moorings around the Doncaster Selby area. As for the existing Selby moorings - I would imagine that CaRT would have to give up some of its linear moorings, but who knows in this current climate.

I read it as the Selby Times article referring to the plans being rejected is an earlier piece as it refers to eight story buildings. The Yorkshire press article refers to a previous rejection and refers to four story buildings, which was presumably approved after a revised planning application was submitted.

I was going by the dates. The Selby Times one was dated 31 March 2014 whereas other ones are earlier.

Hi Mick. Hope Mags is OK. The latest plans on the council site say 32 berths. If it comes to pass, it is Simon Banks that I would feel more sorry for. He and his dad worked hard to get their yard etablished.

I was going by the dates. The Selby Times one was dated 31 March 2014 whereas other ones are earlier.

Hi Mick. Hope Mags is OK. The latest plans on the council site say 32 berths. If it comes to pass, it is Simon Banks that I would feel more sorry for. He and his dad worked hard to get their yard etablished.

I think all the articles on the Selby Times site carry the current date.

I do wonder if there is the demand in the current climate.

The moorings at Clayworth on The Chesterfield have always had a long waiting list but currently it is practically non existant. I know not everyone wants to be on a canal where you have to deal with a tidal river to go anywhere other than that canal but it is certainly fairly close to Doncaster

As far as I am aware these are only available through the boat club and when we inquired last year although there wasn't a waiting list they were still full......

We CC purely because there are no moorings available in the area. The linear moorings at West Stockwith could be extended but there seems to be a reluctance to do this?

As far as I am aware these are only available through the boat club and when we inquired last year although there wasn't a waiting list they were still full......

We CC purely because there are no moorings available in the area. The linear moorings at West Stockwith could be extended but there seems to be a reluctance to do this?

There are two at Shireoaks for auction at the moment.

Im a little sceptical about the actual demand for more moorings in the area. There will no doubt a temporary higher demand as those at Stainiforths seek new moorings (unless a buyer is found of course).

There are plenty of CRT long term moorings that fail to find a bidder in the area and they often end up on the Buy it Now section of the website.

The marinas at Goole are always popular and run waiting lists but they tend to cater more for the estuary and coastal cruisers who want to be close to the tidal waters. Away from that access Im not so sure there is that demand for more moorings.

Yes, I am aware of the Shireoaks moorings but only one of them is big enough for our boat and we are considering it.

The last mooring to come up at Stockwith (again not big enough) went well over the asking price so there was demand for that one at least.

At 65ft choice is limited.....