Good knot book?

joe1978

Featured Posts

wink.png

I must tie at least three double slipped reef knots every day

Richard

Three?

When my son started school he was worried he couldn't tie one, he agreed to intense driiling from me and 15 minutes later he could do it. Proud moment for him, and me.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Ok you got me

Humph

That's twice then, I got you at Swallow cruisers as we chatted about knots with the guy pumping out Tawny's tanks. From you I learned how to get a rolling hitch the right way up at the same time

Richard

That's twice then, I got you at Swallow cruisers as we chatted about knots with the guy pumping out Tawny's tanks. From you I learned how to get a rolling hitch the right way up at the same time

Richard

Pulling to the right or left?

Don't answer that it's getting too heavy.

Mike the Boilerman, on 29 Mar 2014 - 8:49 PM, said:

I too find the lighterman's does the job in 99% of cases.

When I need something else, I generally find the bird'snest/macrame knot does the job admirably.

I expect you all know it already smile.png

MtB

i know someone who uses that all the time, i am fine with it now, its not my rope, walk away monkey, just let it be, honestly I am fine with it and it doesn't bother me at all

i know someone who uses that all the time, i am fine with it now, its not my rope, walk away monkey, just let it be, honestly I am fine with it and it doesn't bother me at all

I don't suppose the 'someone' is a GURL by any chance is it? (Maybe even slightly, just a little bit?)

MtB

Richard

I remember demonstrating my alacrity with a rolling hitch - But I don't remember the knot you got me with. What was that then?

Mike the Boilerman, on 29 Mar 2014 - 9:04 PM, said:

I don't suppose the 'someone' is a GURL by any chance is it? (Maybe even slightly, just a little bit?)

MtB

in this particular case the someone is very defiantly a girl, a bit of a smasher to be honestcloud9.gif

I remember demonstrating my alacrity with a rolling hitch - But I don't remember the knot you got me with. What was that then?

Double slipped reef knot - most common knot in the country

Richard

A brief bit of guidance please. smile.png

I was in the Scouts for a very long time, a not so long time ago so I am reasonably ok with all things knotty. The wife on the other hand is rubbish and a rotten pupil too (although to be fair that might be more of a reflection on me!)

So can anyone recommend a good easy to follow knot book for her? Was going to just buy any one off the jungle themed internet retailer but though I'd ask here if there are any better than others?

Cheers

Joe

Many people have difficulty leaning knots from books.

Those same people often have difficulty with learning from the various animated programs/apps that are now available.

One very simple technique in teaching knots is to stand alongside the 'pupil' (rather than in front) having them copy you.

It really works but may require a little ingenuity when teaching how to moor.

Double slipped reef knot - most common knot in the country

Richard

Ah...I don't remember at all

How's about a double slipped reef knot with locking half hitch?

I think I use that one most of all

Your shoes never fell off

Richard

My shoes never fall off because I read Ian's Shoelace Site.

In 2007, I was asked to attend the World Scout Jamboree held in Essex. I came up with the idea of getting 100 scouts from 100 different countries to each tie a knot to celebrate 100 years of scouting. The finished result is here.

Whilst engaged upon this, I was approached by a scout leader who informed me that he had just purchased a narrowboat and asked if I knew how to tie one up.

The resulting demonstration resulted in a multinational crowd of over 100 who kept asking what a narrowboat was. The crowd only disappeared when someone said that a narrowboat was 'on site' and offered to show them.

Several days later, I found that I only had 91 knots and decided to go 'walkabout' to find the final nine 'contributors'.

I got the final nine but also found out that the narrowboat was actually a wooden sculpture of a Viking long boat complete with sail, oars and shields.

I always wonder if Viking Afloat did more business as a result.