Good knot book?

joe1978

Featured Posts

A brief bit of guidance please. :)

I was in the Scouts for a very long time, a not so long time ago so I am reasonably ok with all things knotty. The wife on the other hand is rubbish and a rotten pupil too (although to be fair that might be more of a reflection on me!)

So can anyone recommend a good easy to follow knot book for her? Was going to just buy any one off the jungle themed internet retailer but though I'd ask here if there are any better than others?

Cheers

Joe

In my experience it is difficult to learn knots from a book although it can be done. However, on the internet there are several sites that give a video demonstration of knot tying so your wife may find that easier to follow than a book. (Not suggesting that your wife is thick but that is genuine advice!)

Dave

I have several knot books, all with different methods of describing the tieing of knots. I don't get on with some and get on well with others. No idea what your wife might like

Personally, I haven't found a good internet video yet. If you want to arrange a rope into a knot, they are fine. It's a bit different when you haven't got a flat surface to arrange the rope on and there's a boat attached to it

Richard

I've got Knots 3D app on my iPhone and that seems quite good. It shows you the knot being done in 3D and you can slow down or speed up the rate of the demo while you study it. It also breaks the knots down into various main categories if you want to search for a particular genre of knot.

Roger

I like the idea of knots being sorted into 'Genres' :)

I did have a modern copy of the Ashley book of knots but unfortunately it was very poorly bound and fell to pieces very quickly which was disappointing :( considering I bought it new...

Wow loads of help here cheers.

Never even thought of an app. Usually the first thing I try as well!

I'll point her in the direction of the apps and if she doesn't get on with them then book too.

Just the basics required really. I always end up checking her work (at her request) when mooring up as inevitably it's just a combination of loops and half hitches!!

Edited by joe1978

I've got Knots 3D app on my iPhone and that seems quite good. It shows you the knot being done in 3D and you can slow down or speed up the rate of the demo while you study it. It also breaks the knots down into various main categories if you want to search for a particular genre of knot.

Roger

I like the look of that too - there's a couple of knots I've always had difficulties with and this app demonstrates them better than anything else I've seen.

The trouble with knots though is not so much learning how to do them it's how to remember how to do them.

Edited by Neil2

When I joined the fire service in '74 I learned a myriad of knots but only ever actually used a few of them in anger. Under a bit of pressure the more obscure ones could disappear in a large bundle of knitted rope especially the running double pretzel rescue knot with two half turns and a half hitch on the bight.

Eventually most of them were omitted from the national fire service drill book.

When I joined the fire service in '74 I learned a myriad of knots but only ever actually used a few of them in anger. Under a bit of pressure the more obscure ones could disappear in a large bundle of knitted rope especially the running double pretzel rescue knot with two half turns and a half hitch on the bight.

Eventually most of them were omitted from the national fire service drill book.

Yep - down to about six now - and I don't think the reef knot is there at all

My copy of "The Ashley Book of Knots" has thousands of entries so, first of all, you need to decide which knots you want/need to learn. Always glad to be of help!

I have that too. I bought it at Cheshire~rose's charity auction at the Loughborough Christmas banter in 2013. I only got it because RLWP missed it in the bundle so didn't bid.

He's not cross about that at all.....not one little bit

What knots do people regularly use? For me it's bowline, figure of 8 or 9,round turn and two half hitches, lighterman's hitch, sheet bend.

Double slipped reef knot

Bet you do too

Richard

I have that too. I bought it at Cheshire~rose's charity auction at the Loughborough Christmas banter in 2013. I only got it because RLWP missed it in the bundle so didn't bid.

He's not cross about that at all.....not one little bit

glare.gif

Richard

I use bowline, rt&2hh, lighter Mans aka tugboat hitch and my favourite a special don't know the name hitch going down Thames locks which a lock keeper called a 'steamers hitch' it slips under a lot of strain but everyone thinks you've hung the boat up :lol: