Beta Marine BD3 engine

Featured Posts

I agree, it's a great engine. Based on the Lister CRK.

MtB

Really? I thought that both the BD3 and the CRK3 were produced at about the same time and that both were based on a Ford tractor engine, suitably "badged"? When beta switched from a Ford to a John Deere base engine it changed its name to a JD3.

Really? I thought that both the BD3 and the CRK3 were produced at about the same time and that both were based on a Ford tractor engine, suitably "badged"? When beta switched from a Ford to a John Deere base engine it changed its name to a JD3.

Correct. Both Beta and Lister marinised the Ford engine but when Ford decided to discontinue the engine (something to do with emissions not meeting the required standards IIRC) Lister ceased doing that type of engine and Beta went to a John Deere for their equivalent suitable core engine.

Roger

Twenty five years ago we fitted a C-Power Ford BSD3 in Wyrd. After a few initial problems owing to the inherent 3 cylinder out of balance forces, the same reason I believe that led Lister to give up on it, we bolted it down to very solid beds since when it has behaved perfectly. Why is this not a 'vintage engine' and I ask this as one who has more than most of that ilk sat in his workshop. The engine is based on the old Ford Dexta tractor engine which i believe can trace its roots back to the 1930's and has a torque rating which makes many older traditional engines look silly. It has, in our case been worked hard in our tug, used as a tug for the majority of its life. The C-Power version is responsive and powerful and not de-rated as Beta did to avoid the high end harmonic vibes.It does not of course have the brass fittings used by Beta and beloved of many but then again this does mean that more time can be spent boating and less wasted polishing. Regards, HughC.

• Greenie 1

Why is this not a 'vintage engine'

Because mine was built in 1994, for a start!

In addition it was key start, had one too many cylinders and a rev counter, revved to 1500rpm (or might have been 2000), was not available as a twin and had an enclosed flywheel.

But the deciding factor was that it never went wrong. And if it did, you could call Beta and buy any part you needed for it.

I grant you the exhaust was always dirty enough to qualify as 'vintage' though.

:)

What DO we mean by vintage engine anyway? We all recognise one when we see it but most of the attributes I list above can be found on one or another engines regarded by the white beards as a real vintage diesel.

MtB

What DO we mean by vintage engine anyway? We all recognise one when we see it but most of the attributes I list above can be found on one or another engines regarded by the white beards as a real vintage diesel.

An engine no longer available that has been overhauled/refurbed sort of suggests it's a vintage.

(Or if its name starts with a letter "K" or ends in "ER"). wink.png

Edited by mark99

That is why the Beta engine number starts with CRK also the Lister manual lists all the spares by their proper part numbers

I just tell people I have a tractor engine unless they are smartarses who think they can tell me what engine I have. If they say Lister or Beta I say no its a Ford, I was even told they were actually made under licence by Perkins but have never been able to check that or it would give a fourth option.

I just tell people I have a tractor engine unless they are smartarses who think they can tell me what engine I have. If they say Lister or Beta I say no its a Ford, I was even told they were actually made under licence by Perkins but have never been able to check that or it would give a fourth option.

Some assembly Was carried out by Perkins,never complete manufacture

CT

Could anyone tell me the location of the engine number on a BD3 please? (I'm not at the boat now)

I believe it starts K or M ?

Needed to reference a replacement drive plate.

Looking into getting an R&D Marine damper driveplate as a replacement, they need the info to match up.

Cheers

Bill

Don't know if you fond it but its here

tTIUCTD.jpg

3DcgNg9.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have a Beta Manual and a Prm 150 Manual on softcopy which I can email if pm'd with email address.

Also got hardcopy parts list from Sleamen & Hawken which do parts for Lister Crk 3

Tonka, I've been away for a while and haven't read this until now. If you're still about, can you let me know - and maybe send me a copy of your Beta manual, plus your list of parts?

Yours hopefully

Loafer

Twenty five years ago we fitted a C-Power Ford BSD3 in Wyrd. After a few initial problems owing to the inherent 3 cylinder out of balance forces, the same reason I believe that led Lister to give up on it, we bolted it down to very solid beds since when it has behaved perfectly. Why is this not a 'vintage engine' and I ask this as one who has more than most of that ilk sat in his workshop. The engine is based on the old Ford Dexta tractor engine which i believe can trace its roots back to the 1930's and has a torque rating which makes many older traditional engines look silly. It has, in our case been worked hard in our tug, used as a tug for the majority of its life. The C-Power version is responsive and powerful and not de-rated as Beta did to avoid the high end harmonic vibes.It does not of course have the brass fittings used by Beta and beloved of many but then again this does mean that more time can be spent boating and less wasted polishing. Regards, HughC.

My Beta hasn't got the brass bits, closest is a copper mushroom on the air cleaner and a piece of copper pipe from the rocker cover to the air cleaner to scavenge the oil fumes. Its quite an old one without an electric stop.And yes it bolted to a couple of bits of oak

• 2 weeks later...

My BD3 sounds great. Especially at idle! It thumps away nicely at about 300rpm.

NOW, please, my question:

At low rpm, my BD3's rhythm is a clear 'ONE two three ONE two three...'etc, with the definite emphasis on the 'ONE'. Outside the boat, all you can hear is the 'ONE' thump.

So why is it that ONE of the cylinders sounds louder than the other two?

Eh??

My BD3 sounds great. Especially at idle! It thumps away nicely at about 300rpm.

NOW, please, my question:

At low rpm, my BD3's rhythm is a clear 'ONE two three ONE two three...'etc, with the definite emphasis on the 'ONE'. Outside the boat, all you can hear is the 'ONE' thump.

So why is it that ONE of the cylinders sounds louder than the other two?

Eh??

I have my tickover higher after having the engine stall when a heavy load went on the alternator as I was approaching Glascote bottom lock