Temporary mooring swap

frogprints

Featured Posts

We have had our garden end mooring in Cheshire for over eight years now.

It has great access to a number of rings as well as LLangollen, Anderton/Weaver, Macc, etc but I fancy a change of scenery and was wondering about the practicallity/legality of swapping for a season/year with someone with a mooring say in W Yorks?

Is it/can it be done? I can't find any reference on the forum.

But it's at the end of their garden - so they would be imposing these conditions on themselves!

In addition the EOG conditions from CRT specify you'll need permission from them, but it looks to be more for formality than anything else.

P3. The right to use the Mooring is personal to you and you may not assign it or this Agreement to
any person. You may allow another person to use the Mooring for short periods but only with our
permission which shall not be unreasonably withheld.

Yes, but there's no harm in asking at a particular marina. I suspect this isn't a black and white issue, but one of many grey shades.

Most Marina's will hold the mooring for you at a discount, but let the mooring out.

Edited by Robbo

Again, 'most' marinas -- implies not all marinas. Worth Asking.

It would be a stupid marina owner that allows "swapping", there's no benefit in it for them, if they have the space they will want the additional mooring money from the other boater, if they don't have the space they could offer the originally boater a discount to keep there home mooring and offer the other a discounted temporary mooring.

CRT moorings are better as their conditions only require they give you permission, but won't "unreasonably withheld" it.

It would be a stupid marina owner that allows "swapping",

Assuming that the same fees are paid(dependent on boat length) whichever boat is occupying the berth, what's stupid about consistent income?

Assuming that the same fees are paid(dependent on boat length) whichever boat is occupying the berth, what's stupid about consistent income?

Just swapping would not benefit the marina financially, especially if the marina has a waiting list.

But it would not lose money either, so there would be no disadvantage. If my boat and your boat are both 45 feet long, it shouldn't matter one jot to the marina management which boat is in the space.

Edited by Athy

Yes it is. For example, I have rental properties. These produce a regular, consistent income. As long as the same amount comes into my account each month, I don't have strong feelings about who wrote the cheque.

Yes it is. For example, I have rental properties. These produce a regular, consistent income. As long as the same amount comes into my account each month, I don't have strong feelings about who wrote the cheque.

Ah, but if the Marina has a waitiong list, and it can 're-let' the mooring whilst the regular mooer is away (and whom is still paying his mooring fees), the marina will increase his income from that mooring)

You obviously don't care about the neighbours or your houses then.

?????

I have no idea what you're on about.

If you don't care about who rents your houses out or if they sub-let, then you obviously don't care about the neighbours of your houses. Most land lords don't allow sub-letting as the tenants won't be vetted.

Quite right, it doesn't matter. A landlord's indifference doesn't have to extend to the behaviour of his tenants: it might, it might not. There is nothing in your posts to suggest you don't care, and we would be quite wrong to infer either way.

In general, it just illustrates my point that if you don't ask, you don't get. Just another example of my 'glass half full' mentality.

If you don't care about who rents your houses out or if they sub-let, then you obviously don't care about the neighbours of your houses. Most land lords don't allow sub-letting as the tenants won't be vetted.

Do not quite follow that point up until recently my son leased a 5 bedroom property on the basis that he would sub let the other 4 rooms this is quite common practice as he was the leaseholder he was responsible for paying the rent. In London most tenants sub let it is the only way they can afford the rent and landlords are fully aware of this What on earth does it have to do with the neighbours when I rent out a property I do not ask the neighbours.

In addition the EOG conditions from CRT specify you'll need permission from them, but it looks to be more for formality than anything else.

Don't believe it...

I have just purchased land with mooring rights for 2 x 60ft boats and CRT have no rights to say who moors there all I have to do is pay them a very small fee the rights to moor pre date even BW

We're in the same position. Initially we were told that there were no Bottom of Garden moorings where we are until we produced deeds and letters from them that showed that we had the rights. The previous owner had a pair moored there.