New Mills Marina

Machpoint005

Featured Posts

Having moored with them for a year now, I've found them far more efficient and accommodating than BWML ever were.

They seem to have high standards for their facilities, and are mid range in pricing. Im at one of their own built marinas, so not sure what standards you will get at one they are taking over.

Just heard that operation and management of the marina is to be taken on by Pridewater Estates. Does anyone have any experience of their existing marina operations at Fazeley Mill, Grove Lock or Kings Orchard?

Kings Orchard sells diesel at a good price, 80p

So does the local fuel boat.

I understand that Pridewater has undertaken to deal with the infrastructure issues at NMM, so it seems the intention is to do things properly.

I believe Pridewater Estates are not a million miles from the same management as Greenford or T Harrison Chaplin, the waterside contractors.

N

Yes, I'd noticed that -- probably not a bad thing at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Furness Vale are extending their marina and will be providing 36 residential moorings when completed

Si Network Rail dropped their objection and it got through planning then? The upper Peak Forest obviously don't want visitors then - the few decent towpath mooring opposite that piece of land. So

Well six letters (I wrote in about lack of visitors mooring) of objection just about sums it up

Buxton Advertiser 23rd March

Winter along here isn't going to be much fun, we have only ever moored there once - but that's 15 spaces gone

Edited to add that it doesn't mention residential - it mentions 'boat storage on an annual basis' in the article - unsure of that meaning, but I bet it's not residential

Edited by StarUKKiwi

Well six letters (I wrote in about lack of visitors mooring) of objection just about sums it up

Buxton Advertiser 23rd March

Winter along here isn't going to be much fun, we have only ever moored there once - but that's 15 spaces gone

Edited to add that it doesn't mention residential - it mentions 'boat storage on an annual basis' in the article - unsure of that meaning, but I bet it's not residential

One of the other boaters close to me told me that they have put their name down for a residential mooring there ( I can't categorically confirm that all the planning permission has gone through yet to be honest )

• 2 weeks later...

Si Network Rail dropped their objection and it got through planning then? The upper Peak Forest obviously don't want visitors then - the few decent towpath mooring opposite that piece of land. So

I fail to see why "No Mooring" opposite a marina should be automatic, especially in a case like this where the existing visitor moorings are the best on the canal.

Why not write to CRT now, getting in the case for retention of these moorings BEFORE the marina owner asks for no mooring to be installed.

George ex nb Alton retired

I fail to see why "No Mooring" opposite a marina should be automatic, especially in a case like this where the existing visitor moorings are the best on the canal.

Hope you're right although as mooring is not allowed opposite the existing marina, I fear the worst.

The thing that makes this spot so appealing is the open field on one side and the views over the valley on the other. I suppose there are worse things than having more boats moored opposite but it will destroy the unspoilt feel of that stretch.

Hope you're right although as mooring is not allowed opposite the existing marina, I fear the worst.

The thing that makes this spot so appealing is the open field on one side and the views over the valley on the other. I suppose there are worse things than having more boats moored opposite but it will destroy the unspoilt feel of that stretch.

If I were feeling churlish (perish the thought), I could suggest that the continuous line of boats currently "visiting" that mooring has exactly that effect on walkers, anglers, cyclists AND other boaters cruising through. rolleyes.gif

If I were feeling churlish (perish the thought), I could suggest that the continuous line of boats currently "visiting" that mooring has exactly that effect on walkers, anglers, cyclists AND other boaters cruising through. rolleyes.gif

I felt churlish once - - (but couldn't find a churl that appealed)

;)

I felt churlish once - - (but couldn't find a churl that appealed)

;)

Lol, we like to.go.through that section but they are the nearest VM to New Mills and the only ones with nice views up the top end.

Good point George, who is the best person to contact?

Lol, we like to.go.through that section but they are the nearest VM to New Mills and the only ones with nice views up the top end.

Good point George, who is the best person to contact?

The local manager is David Baldachinno (I think that is the correct spelling)

An e mail to the address below suggesting CRT insist on the VM remaining in use even if the marina is built would be a good start.

Enquiries.manchesterpennine@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Well I will certainly send one, but there needs to be more than one email sent

Edited to add - email sent

Very true! I will add my weight but that should virtually guarantee that the moorings will close.smile.png

I will also inform contacts in the Macc Canal Society and FV Boat Club.

• 6 months later...

I have just called in and had a look at New Mills Marina. The renovations being carried out by Pridewater Estates look first class, very sympathetically done to maintain the caricature of the old buildings. Once the pontoons have been replaced I think it will be the place to moor.

Indeed.

Where do you moor at the moment?