Gas Fridge wont light

junior

Featured Posts

This weeks conundrum is my gas fridge!

Got back to the boat today and went to light the fridge as usual, and it won't light. I'm not doing anything different to what I usually do but this time it won't light.

It is a 3 way gas/mains/12v fridge, but only runs off the gas. The gas has not run out as the hob is working fine.

Normally I turn the knob to the 'high position', hold it in and give a couple of pushes of the ignite button and it makes a kind of "pooft" noise and the tiny flame is visible down in the viewing aperture. Sometimes I only need to hold the knob in for 10 seconds and it will stay lit, but on a few occasions I've had to hold the knob in for up to 10 mins before the flame will stay lit. After this it works fine.

Today I am doing everything normal but I'm not getting the "pooft" noise and the flame won't light. At first I thought there was no ignition spark but now it's a bit darker I can see it through the viewing aperture. It does seem to look a bit weak/faint, but because I've never paid any attention to it before I can't say for sure if it's normal or not.

Any ideas folks??

my fridge has an electronic ignition and became difficult to start. I took the fridge out and had a look at the back and found that where the spark earths to had become somewhat corroded, a quick rub over with some sandpaper and it was good to go as the young people say.

I probably shouldn't be suggesting this, but...

If the viewing tube is completely open frome pilot burner to the front (with no glass) then you may get it to light by holding the button in for a good while to let the tube fill with gas/air mixture and then apply a light to the front of the tube. You will get quite a "pooft" when it ignites, but with luck the pilot will light. You then have to keep the button held in until the flame has been detected.

my fridge has an electronic ignition and became difficult to start. I took the fridge out and had a look at the back and found that where the spark earths to had become somewhat corroded, a quick rub over with some sandpaper and it was good to go as the young people say.

Well I never. Thread over. I just pulled the fridge out and found the thin wire that goes from the ignition switch down into the bottom of the fridge. I pulled the spade connection on and off a few times and whilst there was no corrosion visible, this seems to have fixed it.

That's 2 things in a week I have manged to fix myself thanks to suggestions off the forum and at a cosy of zero pounds!

Have a look at the flame through the window in the fridge. If it's sort of orange and sparkly it's likely that a bit of rust from the flame tube has fallen down and bridged the spark gap, then been dislodged when you moved the fridge. In that event, or if it does it again, take the little tin cover off the flame gubbins at the bottom ( 2 small Philips screws), waggle the twisted metal thing in the flame tube enthusiastically ( a small flue brush is better,) then give the flame gubbins a good blow/hoover out. Try not to disturb the spark electrode. Push the button a few times to confirm you are getting a spark. Then refit the tin cover and light it.

Your on-off home/away usage is ideal for promoting rust in the flue tube so really a good boogie out once a year is needed.

N

Many years ago when I had a three-way gas fridge, if it was difficult to light it was always down to crud in the bottom exactly as Bengo describes, i.e . flakes of rust (and the odd dead spider).

Edited by dor

Agreeing with everything that has been said so far - we also find that, with ours, it sometimes helps to run it on mains electricity (from our generator) for half an hour or so before succeeding in getting the gas to ignite . . .

To keep these fridges working nicely its wise to give them a service at least once every two tears.

By pulling out fridge dismantle the burner bits and clean, sweep the flu, probe the jet out ''important this as its usually not thought about';and make sure that the thermocouples bulb is in the flame. Quite simple to do as long as your careful and don't rush.

To keep these fridges working nicely its wise to give them a service at least once every two tears.

By pulling out fridge dismantle the burner bits and clean, sweep the flu, probe the jet out ''important this as its usually not thought about';and make sure that the thermocouples bulb is in the flame. Quite simple to do as long as your careful and don't rush.

Did that and was not careful enough with the jet, It didn't half burn well until I got a new jet.

With ours its a location thing!

Removed from its cubby hole, and directly connected to a cylinder through a stand alone regulator, everything works as it is supposed to - there is always gas at the pilot, the igniter always produces a spark, and you can't fail to light it.

However, if you go through the extensive procedure of installing it back in its cubby hole, reconnected to the correct supply, and it becomes completely temperamental again.

It's dead frustrating, but I can't work out how you fix something that works 100% reliably when you can get to the bits, and very much less reliably when you can't! :banghead: