slow-cooked meat ideas

nichimyo

Featured Posts

First idea:

Lamb with rosemary and a few shreds of orange peel. Use the juice of the orange in the gravy and add a slosh of vodka (not too much or it will be bitter).

Second idea:

Shove a whole lemon and some garlic up a chicken.

Third idea:

Beef in a gravy flavoured with red wine and Stilton cheese.

Yours please.....

Edited by nichimyo

First idea:

Lamb with rosemary and a few shreds of orange peel. Use the juice of the orange in the gravy and add a slosh of vodka (not too much or it will be bitter).

Second idea:

Shove a whole lemon and some garlic up a chicken.

Third idea:

Beef in a gravy flavoured with red wine and Stilton cheese.

Yours please.....

beef, onion, garlic, carrots, stout, served on a mustard parsnip mash

First: Yuk! Each to their own, but far too lamby for me.

Second: Aren't chickens supposed to be cooked hotter and quicker?

Third: Now you're talking.

Stewing steak (or venison) in nice sized chunks.

Put in a freezer bag, add a couple of tablespoons of flour, salt and freshly ground pepper, maybe paprika, and give it all a good shake. Remove meat, chuck bag away, saves washing up.

Brown the meat in a slug of olive oil then chuck in a few shallots (topped & tailed & peeled, whole), carrots (coarsely chopped), garlic according to taste (I'd use half a bulb, peeled and smacked with the side of my cleaver), celery (I cubed some of that celeriac in last time, dunno where it went), passnips, turnip, anything else that takes your fancy, tin of chopped tomatoes, half-a-handful of mixed herbs, bottle of NewkyBrown or a couple of glasses of wine, maybe a glass of sherry, lid on, int' th'oven for 1 hour gas mark 2, then down to mark 1 and leave 4 or 5 hours.

Chuck some dumplings in half an hour before you want to serve, job's a good'un and only one pot to wash.

I always cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

(or something like that). W.C. Fields.

Second: Aren't chickens supposed to be cooked hotter and quicker?

"Supposed" is the key word. If we alway cooked how we are "supposed" to, well... chicken is "supposed" to be roasted with sage and onion stuffing, according to some. Nuff said LOL

I've got a fab Chinese recipe for boiled chicken which I do in the pressure cooker.

What did the poor chuck do to deserve that?

Janet

Can I just answer that by saying: "I like animals. They taste delicious."

"Supposed" is the key word. If we alway cooked how we are "supposed" to, well... chicken is "supposed" to be roasted with sage and onion stuffing, according to some.

I was referring to food safety and the desire not to be poisoned, it was nothing to do with tradition. It was a question rather than a statement, is it okay to slow cook chicken?

I was referring to food safety and the desire not to be poisoned, it was nothing to do with tradition. It was a question rather than a statement, is it okay to slow cook chicken?

Ah, with you now. Tortured (battery) chicken, I wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge-pole. Free-range, I've never had a problem. I always wash the bird inside and out with lots of very cold water, scrape off any blood etc sticking to the inside. Start it off hot, turn it down after 20 minutes.

I suppose it depends on your confidence in the source of the bird.

Ah, with you now. Tortured (battery) chicken, I wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge-pole. Free-range, I've never had a problem. I always wash the bird inside and out with lots of very cold water, scrape off any blood etc sticking to the inside. Start it off hot, turn it down after 20 minutes.

I suppose it depends on your confidence in the source of the bird.

You can cook it as slowly as you want.... The key is to raise the temperature throughout to above 63' C for a period of........Doh!!! I can't remember how long.....You must be careful not to dry the old bird out though, which is why slow cooking is usually undertaken with fatty/cheap cuts of meat.

Tortured battery hen is, so I'm given to believe, best eaten 'A La Kentucky', though with all those nitrogen burns from standing and sitting in it's own excrement I will take that under advisement.

Edited by tomsk

You can cook it as slowly as you want.... The key is to raise the temperature throughout to above 63' C for a period of........Doh!!! I can't remember how long.....You must be careful not to dry the old bird out though, which is why slow cooking is usually undertaken with fatty/cheap cuts of meat.

Tortured battery hen is, so I'm given to believe, best eaten 'A La Kentucky', though with all those nitrogen burns from standing and sitting in it's own excrement I will take that under advisement.

I believe it needs 4 hours - but you need to be sure your temperature is accurate.

Matt

(edited for spelling)

Edited by matt

1) Slow cooked lamb shoulder.

Get a good shoulder with fat on if possible, put in a roasting tin, with 3 cans of tomatoes poured round it, salt, pepper, bit of olive oil, and quarter a couple of onions (you don't need to peel).

Put in the oven at breakfast time (pre-heated to maximum), then turn down to 100C when you put the meat in and eat for dinner.

2) Slow cooked pork shoulder

Nice big fatty shoulder (Berkshire), score it, put it in on a rack in tray, pour boiling water over it to shrink the fat back, pour off the water, pat dry. Put in to a pre-heated to maximum, after 10 mins turn down to 90C, leave for 20h (after 30h it goes a bit dry on the edges). About half an hour before you take it out, turn to maximum to crisp it up, don't put salt on it until as late as possible. All the leftovers make superb curry.

Matt (a slow cook meat fanatic)

It probably goes without saying on here - but don't even bother trying to slow cook supermarket meat, it's all water and no fat - I doubt you'd get a shoulder from a supermarket anyway, it all goes to sausages.

Find a good farm shop selling their own meat - especially rare breed meat - in my experience it's the same price as supermarket meat but has more fat which is more flavour.

I can highly recommend Holly Tree Farm on the Knutsford junction of the M6 (J19?). You need to call first for roasting joints.

Matt.

• 2 months later...

This is one of my family's favorites. The smell whilst cooking is heaven and not too many complicated ingredients.

Lamb and Apricot Casserole

1 1/3 cup (250 g) dried apricots

5 tbsps vegetable oil

1 medium-sized onion, finely sliced

1 kg (2.2 lb) boned lean lamb, cubed

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tbsp spoons lemon juice

450 ml hot water

1 - 2 tsps sugar

50 g toasted pine kernels (optional)

method

1. Heat the oil and brown the onion lightly.

2. Add the lamb and fry gently until evenly browned.

3. Drain off excess fat.

4. Add the cinnamon, lemon juice and hot water to just cover the meat, cover the pan and cook for about 40 minutes.

5. Add the sugar and the apricots and cook for another 30 minutes.

6. Sprinkle with the toasted pine kernels if using them

Yum Yum...sounds FABBY!

:cheers: I keep meaning to put this on the cooking thread:

I had a couple of silicone coated? 'toasting bags' as a gift. Brilliant for making toasted sandwiches in a toaster and MUCH cleaner than using an electric toasted sandwich maker. These came from Homebase, £3.45 for 2 bags (JML do them as well) - can be used 100 times and easy to rinse out.

Edited by Christine