CaRT Towpath Consultation

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

Wow, this is the first item where I see a few small, but significant, references to boaters. As an important , and relevant, part of the waterways.

Perhaps CRT are realising that the non captive users of our ' national heritage' are not going to put their hand in their pocket...

Everybody can use the canal for free. Apart from us boaters...

Well, I've also completed the consultation. It's barely a consultation really as it mostly asks for affirmation about how important what they've already decided is.

There's nothing acknowledging that boats are people's homes and harmonious, respectful and safe shared use of your front doorstep is what this Towpath Code really ought to be addressing IMHO.

What a load of corporate bollocks

I read some of this stuff and wonder. 'The Tow Path Code' - some (probably many) people have spent many hours pouring over this type of document and coming up with this cobblers.

What difference will it really make? The commuter cycle louts will continue to believe that it's their own personal race track. Fishermen will continue to block to path with their rods etc and life will continue based on the local users and circumstances at the time.

No one really takes any notice of these 'codes' - they just carry in doing what they've always done. Having a 'code' will have a negligible effect on users behaviour

Why not spend the money on maintaining the path and let the users use it as they see fit.

....... rant over

Wasn't this mentioned a couple of weeks ago when we all put pretty much the same comments about dog-poo and cyclists ?

Edit : As the 'survey' button is already highlighted and it wont let me use it I'm guessing it is he same one

Yes,

Although posted here as new news, the survey has been running a week or two now, I think.

What a load of corporate bollocks

I read some of this stuff and wonder. 'The Tow Path Code' - some (probably many) people have spent many hours pouring over this type of document and coming up with this cobblers.

What difference will it really make? The commuter cycle louts will continue to believe that it's their own personal race track. Fishermen will continue to block to path with their rods etc and life will continue based on the local users and circumstances at the time.

No one really takes any notice of these 'codes' - they just carry in doing what they've always done. Having a 'code' will have a negligible effect on users behaviour

Why not spend the money on maintaining the path and let the users use it as they see fit.

....... rant over

Yep just management speak , maybe volunteers will be out during the rush hour stopping passing cyclists and others to hand out copies.

The only 'code' idiot cyclists would understand is the barcode on the end of a 6ft long piece of 4x4 pse timber from B&Q

Or fix a piece of plastic pipe to towpath at an angle to divert their wheels into the wet bit :rolleyes:

The only 'code' idiot cyclists would understand is the barcode on the end of a 6ft long piece of 4x4 pse timber from B&Q

Or fix a piece of plastic pipe to towpath at an angle to divert their wheels into the wet bit rolleyes.gif

Are you advocating violence against anyone cycling above an unknown-to-them speed limit that you've decided upon?

Wow, this is the first item where I see a few small, but significant, references to boaters. As an important , and relevant, part of the waterways.

Perhaps CRT are realising that the non captive users of our ' national heritage' are not going to put their hand in their pocket...

Everybody can use the canal for free. Apart from us boaters...

Not true though its it?

For now at least the canal is partly funded by boaters and partly by a government grant. So anyone who pays tax of is contributing to the canals.

Thanks Nigel filled it in strange how the boaters are so far down the list yet we pay for it!!

Peter

Or more accurately we boaters pay about a third of it.

• Greenie 2

Are you advocating violence against anyone cycling above an unknown-to-them speed limit that you've decided upon?

Oooh, I hope not. Not until we've all got behind the hedge with our cameras ready, anyway.

Not true though its it?

For now at least the canal is partly funded by boaters and partly by a government grant. So anyone who pays tax of is contributing to the canals.

Boaters pay at point of use. As a boater who also pays his taxes I pay twice.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

need to install barriers/styles at regular intervals so cyclists dismount With CaRT key operated locks for gateways in them to give access for disabled .

BW had:-

• Been there,
  • Done it,
  • had them smashed,
  • removed some,
  • allowed the rest rust away

The other users don't require use of locks, and the availability of tens of thousands of gallons of water to pass through them though do they.

Or water points, or Elsan points, or rubbish disposal points. They don't need tunnels or aqueducts to be navigable. They don't necessarily even need that a breached length of canal gets fixed.

Our privileged use of the canals requires hugely more infrastructure and maintenance than any of the other users, at vastly more cost.

The collective cost of what we pay in licence, (and maybe mooring), fees to CRT, added to the contribution we make through taxation would still not cover the costs, so I reckon we need to be grateful for all those other tax payers helping to bank roll our chosen pastime!

• Greenie 3

The other users don't require use of locks, and the availability of tens of thousands of gallons of water to pass through them though do they.

Or water points, or Elsan points, or rubbish disposal points. They don't need tunnels or aqueducts to be navigable. They don't necessarily even need that a breached length of canal gets fixed.

Our privileged use of the canals requires hugely more infrastructure and maintenance than any of the other users, at vastly more cost.

The collective cost of what we pay in licence, (and maybe mooring), fees to CRT, added to the contribution we make through taxation would still not cover the costs, so I reckon we need to be grateful for all those other tax payers helping to bank roll our chosen pastime!

Quite so.

Are you saying you would rather pay once but pay all of it? I am afraid that is likely to double your licence fee rather than a small amount in your taxation.

• Greenie 1

I don't need tarmac towpaths to race on. Come to think of it, in the early 1970s on the Shroppie, I didn't even need, or have, any towpath.

I know that boats require a lot of infrastructure, but I will always react when told that other users don't need to pay a penny "because THEY already pay taxes".

Are you saying you would rather pay once but pay all of it? I am afraid that is likely to double your licence fee rather than a small amount in your taxation.

No. As above. I am simply railing against the idea that others do not need to pay at point of use because THEY have already paid via general taxation.