Can anyone suggest a good (ie practical and understandable!) guide to boat electrics

Featured Posts

My first post as a new member. All comments/help much appreciated.

We've just bought our first narrowboat after many years as hirers. I'm now trying to get my head around what we've bought! I'm making progress but the electrics are leaving me stumped. The boat is well equipped with 12v, 240v, shore power, victron 1500w inverter/charger etc. and lots of wires! Can anyone suggest a good book to help me understand what it all is and how it all works?

Sorry I'm on my tablet which is not the best for doing linky thingys but do a Google search on Nigel Calder boat maintenance. Many people consider the books to be THE bible for boat maintenance.

Welcome to the forum by the way! ;-) It can get a bit lively in here at times so have fun!

Definitely yes! Google Nigel Calder for his list of books - nautical. I suggest the boat owners mech and elec. I had one for years then left it on a boat that I sold! It's an excellent book to skim through - then you know where to go for specifics

When I bought a yacht in 2006, I bought several of the above books and found them a bit useful. However, most times I had a query or a problem, I would search the web to get me up to speed on the issue, then focus on a solution with the ybw.com forums, or here since buying a narrowboat in 2011.

Of them all, the two I have used most are Nigel Calders book and The 12 Volt Bible.

Not as versatile as aluminium foil! ninja.gifsmile.png

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003MAEDNA

31SKwzKvquL.jpg

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thank you to everyone for all the tips. I have the 12 volt bible from a previous life in yachts. As suggested, very good but outdated as no reference to 240v circuits, inverters or modern charging systems. I agree that the internet (and this forum) is going to be a great resource but sometimes it's nice to sit down with a book....the Pat Manley book sounds like it is worth exploring. Special mention for smileypete's foil cat hat. Watch this space!