Coventry Victor WD3 gearbox needed

juppiejo

Featured Posts

Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I recently bought a really nice boat, a vintage dutch pusher from the 1930's. It's equipped with a Coventry Victor WD3 engine. The gearbox is stuck and replacing the lamellae unfortunately is not enough: the gears are really worn out. Looking for parts hasn't been really succesfull yet, so I am also looking for a replacement gearbox. Does anyone here happen to have an old but working WD3 gearbox that's just waiting to be placed back in a boat again? Any tips? I am aware of this website http://www.coventryvictor.free-online.co.uk/ but I haven't been able to contact them yet.

It would be a pity if I had the replace the full engine.

Any other ideas would be very appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jaap Jan

--

+316281449

8$(KGrHqIOKo0FGsK6vnRRBRuezSbCjw~~60_35.J

It looks as though it may be from the same stable as the BMC/Newage mechanical boxes. If so, I doubt whether you will find any new spares, but you might stand a chance of finding another box for parts.

Tim

Hi, We run a coventry victor HDW in our small boat. I had a similar problem and could not find a gearbox. In the end i had to have a coupling machined and made an adaptor plate to fit a second hand hurth gearbox. Since then two gearboxes for the HDW have come up on ebay. I kind of keep an eye on any CV marine parts which come up on ebay ( looking for a workshop manual ) and i'm pretty sure that i have seen one or two like the one pictured over the last few years. I'm not sure how many different marine gearboxes CV have made but I purchased a gearbox hoping to adapt it for our engine from a stationary engine man who didn't need it. It was from a single cylinder cv engine ( not sure which type ). It wasn't strong enough for the HDW and was quite badly corroded on the casing, with a damaged friction plate and a complicated linkage for the clutch and gear selection which was shot. I offered it free on this site. Any way to save space in the end i scrapped the casing but the gears and bushes and a duplex drive chain looked unworn so have kept them.

Thank you both for the quick responses. @David: I just sent e-mail to Richard, hopefully he knows something

@Tim, thanks as well: this widens the search!

Here is one example of the later BMC/Newage mechanical box. Only a limited picture, but it does indicate some similarity.

and Here is an engine & gearbox on ebay

And another

Please don't assume it is the same box, but worth investigating IMO.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Here is one example of the later BMC/Newage mechanical box. Only a limited picture, but it does indicate some similarity.

and Here is an engine & gearbox on ebay

And another

Please don't assume it is the same box, but worth investigating IMO.

Tim

Thanks Tim! It does indeed look it, although the casing for the chain gear seems smaller... I am currently investigating with Richard of Primrose Engineering whether it is a BMC A or B series.

Hi, We run a coventry victor HDW in our small boat. I had a similar problem and could not find a gearbox. In the end i had to have a coupling machined and made an adaptor plate to fit a second hand hurth gearbox. Since then two gearboxes for the HDW have come up on ebay. I kind of keep an eye on any CV marine parts which come up on ebay ( looking for a workshop manual ) and i'm pretty sure that i have seen one or two like the one pictured over the last few years. I'm not sure how many different marine gearboxes CV have made but I purchased a gearbox hoping to adapt it for our engine from a stationary engine man who didn't need it. It was from a single cylinder cv engine ( not sure which type ). It wasn't strong enough for the HDW and was quite badly corroded on the casing, with a damaged friction plate and a complicated linkage for the clutch and gear selection which was shot. I offered it free on this site. Any way to save space in the end i scrapped the casing but the gears and bushes and a duplex drive chain looked unworn so have kept them.

Thanks! It might be a very good option actually (and easier to ship than a complete gearbox...). Do the gears look anything like in this exploded view? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ahEBIMSYI-OFJhZmlaX25LNW9vS3NWN2tvX25sNDJWMFdr/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks all! Your help is already overwhelming!

What I find somewhat difficult is to determine this actually is the right box. Especially the chain gear at the prop shaft end seems different from both the CV engine mentioned by Keiron (no chain gear in this picture, also another CV engine than mine... ).

Also the BMC boxes attached to the Petter engines seem to have a smaller chain gear.

Now this isn't the biggest problem: the chain gear is ok. But will the rest fit. Anyone have experience in this?

Thanks all! Your help is already overwhelming!

What I find somewhat difficult is to determine this actually is the right box. Especially the chain gear at the prop shaft end seems different from both the CV engine mentioned by Keiron (no chain gear in this picture, also another CV engine than mine... ).

Also the BMC boxes attached to the Petter engines seem to have a smaller chain gear.

Now this isn't the biggest problem: the chain gear is ok. But will the rest fit. Anyone have experience in this?

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'chain gear'?

The drawing link that you posted seems to imply there was an option between chain and gear reduction, these would give opposite rotations of the prop shaft (Right & Left -hand props, maybe for twin engine installations). One of the ebay Petters looks as though it has a 3-wheel reduction, which would give the same rotation as the chain reduction.

As an aside, your link seems to show 'Herringbone' - type gears in the reduction. I don't know whether the BMC/Newage ever used these, although it did use splined mountings for the gears, as per your link, which is quite unusual.

Tim

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'chain gear'?

The drawing link that you posted seems to imply there was an option between chain and gear reduction, these would give opposite rotations of the prop shaft (Right & Left -hand props, maybe for twin engine installations). One of the ebay Petters looks as though it has a 3-wheel reduction, which would give the same rotation as the chain reduction.

As an aside, your link seems to show 'Herringbone' - type gears in the reduction. I don't know whether the BMC/Newage ever used these, although it did use splined mountings for the gears, as per your link, which is quite unusual.

Tim

What I meant is the chain reduction. I am wondering if the gear-version gives the same reduction ratio as the chain version does. By the way, a closer inspection learned that 'everything with cogs' in the box is really worn, including the main shaft, and needs to be replaced. We might have found a box in The Netherlands though. The suggestions given on this forum have already proven to be very helpfull, thanks for that. If the one here isn't right, there still seem hope for me to find one in the UK!

What I meant is the chain reduction. I am wondering if the gear-version gives the same reduction ratio as the chain version does. By the way, a closer inspection learned that 'everything with cogs' in the box is really worn, including the main shaft, and needs to be replaced. We might have found a box in The Netherlands though. The suggestions given on this forum have already proven to be very helpfull, thanks for that. If the one here isn't right, there still seem hope for me to find one in the UK!

If you count the teeth on both chain sprockets and the teeth on both gear wheels in the two types of reduction boxes it will tell you the reduction ratio. Example ---exactly twice as many teeth on both types of reduction boxes chain or gearwheel type output shaft to prop shaft than their mating drive sprocket or gear on the gearboxes output shafts = 2.1

Thanks bizzard! This way I'm learning more and more :-).

@all

The contact who might have the box here in NL is somewhat late with responding, so I'll have to search for alternatives as well. Do you guys know if the BMC or Newage boxes were installed with other engines than with Lister Petter PH series?

Thanks

Thanks bizzard! This way I'm learning more and more :-).

@all

The contact who might have the box here in NL is somewhat late with responding, so I'll have to search for alternatives as well. Do you guys know if the BMC or Newage boxes were installed with other engines than with Lister Petter PH series?

Thanks

Other Petters (PJ was one, I think) and various BMC engines. Might have been others, don't know.

Tim

The bell-housing is different and it's got an add on reduction at the back, which affects the way things look , but:

The top opening is further forward than on RLWP's piccies;

The 'starter motor pinion' housing bulge seems longer than RLWP's version;

I think the front left corner area is different- a left side view of the B series box would help here.

Someone has also eaten a large piece of the bell-housing! detective.gif

Juppiejo, do you have any front and side views of your box? The measurements as in Richard's pics will help too when you have them.

N

N

Ok, I have more info of mine: The gearbox itself is 37 cm, from the flywheel housing to the flange (so including the reduction).lengthwise box A comes pretty close it seems... But now the top view, this looks somewhat different...

foto+2.JPG

foto+1.JPG

What do you guys think, this is yet another type...?

Thanks all for all the help untill so far, it proves to somewhat more difficult...

@Richard: I'll try to get some pictures and measurements of the gears axes etc.

Some more pics that might help with the idenitification

foto+2.JPG

The cover plate of the flying wheel!

foto+1.JPG

Top view

foto+3.JPG

A further look inside!

top-view.jpg

end-view.jpg

The inside diameter of the reverse band is approx 5 1/2"

I have checked the reduction box I have. It has the casing for three wheels but only contains two, the same ones that your gearbox has. Your gearbox has a two wheel reduction box casing

Richard