;) tips to repel horrid nasty bitey midgie mites

tree

Featured Posts

Hmm..twas a most beautiful,glorious sunfilled day..

and then moi noticed ahem!!

Midgies a flight..aha!! You blighters yer ain't making a feasty out of moi, hence here are a few tips to put them off nibbling any bits and bobs ..

Garlic tablets ..do not use if allergic to garlic.

Citronella oil mixed with olive oil ( do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients ) you can purchase the oil from Boots.

Moi uses : Botanics Aromatherapy Citronella Oil .. Tis Citronella Pure Essential oil, and moi uses olive oil as the base oil and adds up to 5 drops of the Citronella oil in to 10mls of the Olive oil.

But You Must Always Consult your Doctor or a Qualified Aromatherapist before use..

It works for moi and moi saplings as we tend to get eaten alive without ..but it might not work for everyone. So moi parting words are thus :

If in DOUBT ..first CHECK it Out before use :)

I find that simply Moving helps,,

In Scotland Caledonian Canal it was a nightmarish experience,,but move and all was well.

But you are dead right,,I have got one of those Electric Stones,(don't know the proper name). But a few drops of the oils,plug it in and hey presto no Um 'Black Pepper' in your mashed Potato.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I find that simply Moving helps,,

In Scotland Caledonian Canal it was a nightmarish experience,,but move and all was well.

Hmm..wouldn't work for moi as the lickle blighterrs loveeee moi blood :(

Middle sapling at Edinburgh uni so ensures bless she has her mamma's concoction :)

Stop farting about and get some exercise and enjoy some sadistic sport.

Just wait for them to land then splat them with your mooring pin hammer.

Great fun.

If you mean when they land on your arm, shouldn't that be "masochistic" sport?

George ex nb Alton retired

Sit next to my sister. She's a magnet for midges, so they leave you alone!

Then you must have ' Sweet Blood ' then Tree.just like your nature,

so i would take it as a complement

Sadly a girl at work who gets bitten, says they go for rotten meat. Work that one out!!

From a combination of personal experience and what I've heard from others, I think these are factors which increase your chances of being bitten:

Being near water, especially still fresh water. Not much you can do about this on canals, but my late father who was an ex scout master and very experienced at camping said he would always pitch tents away from any stream or pond for this reason.

Being in the west of Scotland. Easily avoided.

August/September. There's a lot more midges about then.

Evening, specifically the twilight period. Some might feel this can be avoided by going to the pub at the end of a day's boating.

Exposed skin. On a hot day, try long sleeves and trousers as the sun goes down.

So, if you wear shorts and T-shirt near water at twilight in September in the west of Scotland, you are in the words of Private Frasier DOOMED I say, DOOMED.

another vote for Avon Skin so Soft dry oil spray...the green labelled 'fresh' variety..works for us, but, as I found out last year, nothing seems to work on those nasty blighters, Horseflies...still got scars to prove it...

Hi- The OH is allergic to wasp stings and reacts badly to any insect bite- so we've tried a fair few things. The ones that we think helped: Vitamin B1- used a high dose before and during a holiday to India and it seemed to help. Avon skin so soft-already mentioned. One thing that helps heal the bite and reduce the itching and swelling is tiger balm (doesnt stop you being bitten but helps a lot after)- I think boots sell it now and some oriental shops. I bought the OH some new stufff from Hong Kong- called Pearls Mosquitot, made in Italy- Its Deet free and based upon a wild tomato extract (IBI246)- He'll try it this year- but it stinks.

another vote for Avon Skin so Soft dry oil spray...the green labelled 'fresh' variety..works for us, but, as I found out last year, nothing seems to work on those nasty blighters, Horseflies...still got scars to prove it...

We use a stretch of river we call muggers alley whicj for some reason has a LOT of Horseflies and by chance I discovered that the pong of my dogs towel attracts them. So with dogs towel on the bench seat and electric tennis racket in hand we can now navigate unscathed, the horseflies having chased us along will alight on the smelly towel and get the electric coup de grace.

Phil

2water1 vinegar in a spray bottle,works with midges and sandflies but not too good with mossies.Some great stuff here called "Bushman" but I think it would end up killing the user afer a while,if you get it on any clothing it destroys it,got some on my mouth and my lips went completely numb.