The keel that went to Leicester

sultan derocco

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any information on the West Country keel that went under steam from Leeds to Leicester in the early 1970's (or thereabouts). The original engine had been stripped out and it was fitted with a single cylinder non-reversing steam engine and a vertical boiler. What was its name? What became of it?

Sultan

It was Frugality on which Chris Topp was living at the time. Chris was one of the founders of Dorothea Restoration Engineers, who have been involved in the restoration of a wide range of machinery since the 1970s. I worked for them in the late 1970s at places such as Eling Tide Mill and Sheffield Industrial Museum. Chris then developed a wrought iron business, working with real wrought iron, rather than steel. He made the replica of the wrought iron Mary Rose cannon which completely changed historians' perceptions of the power and accuracy of such cannons. On the boating side, he owned the old A&CN keel June, which he put into sailing condition. Frugality ended up at Kildwick after Chris had removed the steam engine.

I've seen pictures of a working boat,going through the lock at redhill about that era. I've tried searching for them,but I'm on a phone so difficult. Don't know if this is the boat your on about.

What sort of working boat?

Tim

Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't remember the name. I was aboard for the passage of Beeston Cut.

Air draught was a problem solved by adding water ballast as I recall.

I was involved in the moving of the Ruston steam shovel from Hull to the Beamish musem and owned one share in the Dorothea engine.

I remember accompanying Chris on motorbikes from Hull to Beamish - me on Velocette and Chris on his Norton which had a broken frame.

Was Frugality the original name - it reflects the times accurately ?

Is she still afloat?

Sultan

Well I thought it was a short boat Tim but could have been a west country wherry. I can't find the picture again at the moment

There was a cargo of timber taken from Manchester to Leicester in the mid-1960s, some by Narrow Boat but the bulk by Short Boat, and at least one of the Short Boats (the MARION, IIRC) stayed in the Leicester area, being broken up a few years later. Maybe it was one of those?

Tim

I thought wye was working down that way until the 70's sometime. Anyway I remember seeing a picture of a widebeam working boat in redhill lock from about that era and wondered if it might be the op boat. But that's sorted now. I still wish I could find the photo again.

Edited by kris88

Three L&LC short boats were sent to work in the Leicester area in the 1950s, and there are several photos of them at that time. Then there were the ones Tim talks about, with the wooden ones possibly ending up as pontoons in a marina rather than returning to the L&LC. Frugality was the original name of a West Country keel, one of several built at Mirfield before and after the 2WW. Amongst the others I seem to recall were Ethel, Angela Jane, William Hennel,and Serenity.

• 9 months later...

There was a cargo of timber taken from Manchester to Leicester in the mid-1960s, some by Narrow Boat but the bulk by Short Boat, and at least one of the Short Boats (the MARION, IIRC) stayed in the Leicester area, being broken up a few years later. Maybe it was one of those?

Tim

That was a Ken Roseblade contract I was asked if I was interested in being involved, as one of his motors (Jack Monks ?) had engine problems but they got it fixed in time, so my boats & self/wife were not required.