Rubbish canal art created

bottle

Featured Posts

So they are going to clean up the canal and pile the rubbish on the towpath and call it art.frusty.gif

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/rubbish-canal-art-created

“The Rochdale Canal is a real asset for the city, the people and the wildlife of Manchester – but only if we all look after it. We hope this project gets people to stop and think about what they do with their rubbish, and what an amazing city we have.”

People that dispose of rubbish in the canal do not think.

“The Rochdale Canal is a real asset for the city, the people and the wildlife of Manchester – but only if we all look after it. We hope this project gets people to stop and think about what they do with their rubbish, and what an amazing city we have.”

..and if they did think: I chuck a shopping trolley in a canal. Someone pulls it out and makes a sculpture. I'm assuming a nice sculpture (in the mind of the artist). I see sculpture and am moved. To do what? Chuck another trolley in to see what else they can make?

I think people who come up with these schemes have thinking issues too (let's hope they don't read Descartes). Still, it's dredging...

So they are going to clean up the canal and pile the rubbish on the towpath and call it art.frusty.gif

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/rubbish-canal-art-created

With my towpath task force volunteer hat on , this project kicked off in Newton Heath last month. The volunteers removed various items from the canal then the "Artists" arrived and took pictures from different angles of the said items. Much discussion by the artists of the creative possibilities for a cash register, a kids bike, a commercial big red wheely bin and a few unidentified items. I 'm not sure , but I think CaRT CaRTed the stuff away for disposal. Also, I don't know if anyone's getting a grant for this project- the canal cleaning team certainly weren't.

ETA, read the story now, someone is getting a grant

Edited by billh

Why all the negativity before anyone's even seen what gets made? Sounds like a great idea to me. The canal gets a much needed dredge and the locals are made aware of what can end up in the canal. It might make them value more.

Hopefully they'll come to Birmingham soon.

I'm damned if I can see the problem. If it comes to a choice between dragging rubbish out of the canal and sending it off to the dump, or dragging rubbish out of the canal and using it in local arts projects - while raising awareness of the problem of rubbish in the canals - well, it's not much of a choice, is it?

Boaters will be the first to benefit from these volunteers' efforts to clear the canal, and to respond by sneering at the local artists and community groups who are getting involved - "they are going to pile the rubbish on the towpath and call it art," indeed - seems mean-spirited in the extreme. Thanks and good luck to them, I say. I hope they enjoy themselves and produce something other people can enjoy.

I applaud the clearing of the canal but my taste in 'art' is not a pile of rubbish.

Tracy Emmens bed was not art,it was a pile of rubbish.

A number of bricks laid on the floor was not 'art' it was bricks laid on the floor

Get my drift. smile.png

Slow down folks!

Firstly they are not going to "pile the rubbish on the towpath". There will be an exhibition of the works in Picadilly Place on May 22nd.

Secondly, how can you criticise these works of art before you have seem them!

I'm damned if I can see the problem. If it comes to a choice between dragging rubbish out of the canal and sending it off to the dump, or dragging rubbish out of the canal and using it in local arts projects - while raising awareness of the problem of rubbish in the canals - well, it's not much of a choice, is it?

Boaters will be the first to benefit from these volunteers' efforts to clear the canal, and to respond by sneering at the local artists and community groups who are getting involved - "they are going to pile the rubbish on the towpath and call it art," indeed - seems mean-spirited in the extreme. Thanks and good luck to them, I say. I hope they enjoy themselves and produce something other people can enjoy.

Well said. Seems like a win-win project to me

I applaud the clearing of the canal but my taste in 'art' is not a pile of rubbish.

Tracy Emmens bed was not art,it was a pile of rubbish.

A number of bricks laid on the floor was not 'art' it was bricks laid on the floor

Get my drift. smile.png

very definite views on what Art is there. I'm quite interested in this question

so what qualities do Equivalent VIII and Tracey Emin's Bed lack so that they are not Art would you say

or perhaps they have qualities that prevent them from being Art?

Some people seem think that "Art" can only consist of a framed print of "The hay wain" .... very sad.

Surely, the advancement of mankind has always been down to those who see no boundaries.

It's a funny thing what some people consider art.

My mate tells the tale about a mate of his who use to be the odd job man/gardener at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park at Bretton. One day he is trimming a hedge having left his very old push bike leant against his equally old wheelbarrow. As he is trimming the hedge on the blind side from the bike 2 art lovers are heard by him discussing just what the artist was trying to portray through his works.

Apparently they stomped off in a huff when this guy popped his head over the bush and explained where they were going wrong

So they are going to clean up the canal and pile the rubbish on the towpath in Picadilly Place and call it art.

But these artworks you disparage, consisting of nothing more than piled-up rubbish, are the product of your own (sadly limited) imagination. You have no idea what the eventual sculptures will look like. It could be this,

article-0-11901E92000005DC-631_634x676.j

or this,

hubcaps.jpg

or goodness knows what. Human creativity is a wonderful thing.

Just because they're using a pile of junk, doesn't mean it has to look like a pile of junk - any more than a stone sculpture has to look like a lump of rock or a painting has to look like some splodges of paint.

• Greenie 1

I've learned something today: a new definition of art.

Art is only art if Bottle says it is.

To each their own I say. There's art I like and art I don't like. If someone produces art that I don't like but others do, then good luck to them.

It's a big world out there. Enough for everyone.

Yet more stuff coming out of the Cut,

See https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=528710313912699&set=a.528709663912764.1073741834.506012156182515&type=1&theater

including at least 10 bikes, 2 motor scooters, 2 supermarket trolleys, a load of scaffolding bars and other assorted junk, and that was just out of the lock chamber at lock 71.

This chamber has an interesting construction, the floor of the invert appears to be at least 7ft below the normal low water level, however the gates and cill are at about 4ft 6" below normal low level.

Interesting what happens with mining subsidence or is it a hang over from the water channelling?

I've learned something today: a new definition of art.

Art is only art if Bottle says it is.

To each their own I say. There's art I like and art I don't like. If someone produces art that I don't like but others do, then good luck to them.

It's a big world out there. Enough for everyone.

and where did I say that ?

I could have written the last two lines, so agree with you.biggrin.png

Post #14 says a lot, a lot of pretentious nonsense is talked about 'art'

and where did I say that ?

How else are we to interpret the following:

"pile the rubbish on the towpath and call it art"

"Tracy Emmens bed was not art,it was a pile of rubbish. A number of bricks laid on the floor was not 'art' it was bricks laid on the floor"

The message is pretty clear: if you don't like it, it isn't actually art - it's just something people call 'art'.

Because I decide to call it 'not art' does not stop you calling it 'art'

That is what it is all about, difference of opinions as to what is 'art'

To me the two pieces mentioned are not art but they may well be to you, that is your and my choice.

We shall just have to agree to disagree as to what art is.

Because I decide to call it 'not art' does not stop you calling it 'art'

That is what it is all about, difference of opinions as to what is 'art'

To me the two pieces mentioned are not art but they may well be to you, that is your and my choice.

We shall just have to agree to disagree as to what art is.

Why can't we just agree to disagree as to what is good art and what is bad art, or what art we like and what art we dislike? Why make it about whether things count as art in the first place? Trying to define what's 'art' and what isn't is a mug's game.

If you see a film that strikes you as being a load of rubbish, you don't say 'that wasn't even a film, though other people can call it a "film" if they like'. You just say 'that film was a load of rubbish'.

Point missed, Art is that which is seen by the eye of the beholder. The important thing is this is funded Art creation, so someone has paid money to have this Art created, and that money has trickled down to C&RT, amongst other. Lots of new people, in designer wellies, turned up and gave their time to haul stuff out of the cut. A film is being made about the event, which may help the cause of the canals. Fishermen were made happy because the fish were captured, and looked after. Locals took a passing interest - a major achievement in Newton Heath! This is a good thing for the canal, whether the finished product will be "Art" remains to be seen.

--

Cheers Ian Mac.

• Greenie 1

Why can't we just agree to disagree as to what is good art and what is bad art, or what art we like and what art we dislike? Why make it about whether things count as art in the first place? Trying to define what's 'art' and what isn't is a mug's game.

If you see a film that strikes you as being a load of rubbish, you don't say 'that wasn't even a film, though other people can call it a "film" if they like'. You just say 'that film was a load of rubbish'.

Yeah. What he said!