Engine not starting after new alternator fitted

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

As discussed in http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=5dc518cf8a09055355d099b8c954c3c2&showtopic=62621 I bought a replacement alternator and fitted it.

Its exactly the same and fitted with a new belt.

My problem now is the engine won't start!

Initially when I turned the key nothing happened at all but after checking all the wiring is seated properly the engine tried to start. I did the usual heat for 30 seconds and then turned the key.

The belt just spins and there is no sound of the engine attempting to start properly.

I have checked and the diesel line is open, the battery is hooked up and the charger has been on so it is charged.

The only thing I think is different is that the spring in the hole at the top right of here..

WP_20140312_010.jpg

..doesn't glow red when I turn the key to "heat". I am pretty sure it did before (although I may be mistaken).

Could this be it or is there something else I should be looking for?

I am still learning about engines and electrics so sorry if this is a stupid question :)

The bulb may be part of the heater circuit try replacing it. Have you a multimeter or a 12v bulb fitting with a neg and pos wire to check if electric is getting to the heater plugs? feel the heater plugs to see if they get warm. Disconnect the heater plugs and touch a live wire to them one at a time no spark = duff heater plug. Is there enough charge in the battery to spin the engine fast enough?

You have either wired the alternator wrong or done something with the wiring which has caused a fuse to blow????

There is likely a single fuse on or near the engine which protects all of the engine wiring but not the starter circuit.

...............Dave

Thanks all!

I checked the wiring and found a loose connection in the D+ connection. The spring glowed under heat and the engine started and ran fine.

The charge light stayed on so the alternator is also working :)

I let it run for 30mins the the belt didn't make a noise at all. Glad it is all sorted!

I do not think that is correct. Charge lights normally go out when the alternator charges. You did rev the engine didn't you.

Oh! hmmmmm..

Yes I did rev the engine but maybe not enough.

Guess I need to check the wiring and try again then. Another job for the weekend :(

Thank you both for the heads up!

A simple first check is to turn a light on, one with a bulb not LED and rev the engine to see if it suddenly goes brighter. Secondly a multi or volt meter across a batteries + and - terminals and rev again, the meter should begin to rise to 13-14 volts and so on.

A simple first check is to turn a light on, one with a bulb not LED and rev the engine to see if it suddenly goes brighter. Secondly a multi or volt meter across a batteries + and - terminals and rev again, the meter should begin to rise to 13-14 volts and so on.

Great advice, thank you. I will try that tomorrow morning.