Insurance

Wakes

Featured Posts

Can't seem to find boat insurance that includes contents, only the first £250 is included for stuff like pots n pans. My house insurance won't cover for stuff taken on board. What do others do? Wakes.

Wakes, on 13 Mar 2014 - 2:47 PM, said:

Can't seem to find boat insurance that includes contents, only the first £250 is included for stuff like pots n pans. My house insurance won't cover for stuff taken on board. What do others do? Wakes.

If you are talking 'personal possessions' then our house policy does cover stuff when we are not at home, (but we do not live aboard so our boat is not our main home.)

I believe some boat insurers will increase cover for a modest increase in premium.

I have a residential narrowboat policy with Towergate Mardon which covers contents much like a household policy …..Having never made a claim Im not sure how good they are…..and given the stress I'm having at the mo with car insurance claims I hope I never have to!!

Cheers

Gareth

Machpoint005, on 13 Mar 2014 - 2:55 PM, said:

Do you habitually take much more than £250 worth of stuff with you on board, or is it to live aboard? These are two different questions, so there are two different answers.

it is surprisingly easy to get up to that figure. people really should sit down and tot up what they have at home and what they take on their boats - most would be surprised at how quickly you can get into four figures, what with TV's, Cameras, lappy's etc etc.

it is surprisingly easy to get up to that figure. people really should sit down and tot up what they have at home and what they take on their boats - most would be surprised at how quickly you can get into four figures, what with TV's, Cameras, lappy's etc etc.

Perhaps it's just me with a cheap telly, clockwork phone and no PC on board then?

Machpoint005, on 13 Mar 2014 - 3:07 PM, said:

Perhaps it's just me with a cheap telly, clockwork phone and no PC on board then?

I doubt it!

But I suspect for the majority of folk, especially those that live aboard and the boat is their home would easily top £250

We spend a deal of time on board, and have most things duplicated from the house, and use Towergate Mardon for our insurance - and they will cover anything you take on board - and with different levels of premium depending upon what the items are (I think?!)

Forget GJW. They will hike premium each year and then make you play games to match what they would charge a new customer. Now have a policy wirh contents and a good load of 'all risks on and off boat' cover for portable items w Collidge and Partner. No fiddling of premiums and a joy to deal with on any changes

Forget GJW. They will hike premium each year and then make you play games to match what they would charge a new customer. Now have a policy wirh contents and a good load of 'all risks on and off boat' cover for portable items w Collidge and Partner. No fiddling of premiums and a joy to deal with on any changes

Now that's odd because our GJW premium hasn't risen for several years. In fact I honestly can't remember when it went up significantly.

Roger

We're with Haven Knox-Johnson, they have contents cover on their policy, you just tell them how much cover you want & any very expensive items you have onboard, just like a house policy. They are very reasonable and really easy to deal with