New Marina at North Kilworth

Kwacker

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Some of those moorings seem to be a long way from anything.... there seems to be no car parking by the mooring pontoons so I guess you drive your car there, unload, drive back to the car park (wherever that might be) and then have a long walk back to your mooring.

Maybe they have done as some other marina's have and allowed berth users  to look out on countryside rather than crappy japanese suv's. The appalling mess created at cathiron lane with windscreens glinting on the horizon is a complete environmental eyesore, whereas at yelvertoft you don't have to look at cars. After all if you want to park next to your home wimpy will build you something. We had a bwb mooring once a mile from the car parking and it was a residential...

6 hours ago, StephenA said:

Some of those moorings seem to be a long way from anything.... there seems to be no car parking by the mooring pontoons so I guess you drive your car there, unload, drive back to the car park (wherever that might be) and then have a long walk back to your mooring.

Their web site clearly shows which moorings have parking next to your boat:

Mooring-Plan.jpg

Tim

On 18/03/2018 at 11:17, Kwacker said:

Wow!

Photos courtesy of their website.

E7D3848B-E5C4-45A0-AA35-668B4C41E399.jpeg

BAFDD7C8-9647-48A4-9F51-37C0E1D52F52.jpeg

Lovely photos, although the water level in the Marina looks high under the pontoons, but the water level on the piling opposite the entrance looks low ish. Is it an optical illusion, or are moorers going to get wet feet when it has rained.

I can't easily find what the total number of boats in this apparent monster is expected to be, but it looks like a lot.

Am I alone in thinking that large single developments of this kind on a summit known to regularly suffer water shortages are not the smartest idea in the world?

I'm far from opposed to the idea of marinas generally, but can't help feeling that more but smaller wouldn't put such heavy pressure on certain stretches of waterway.

• Greenie 1

Just now, alan_fincher said:

I can't easily find what the total number of boats in this apparent monster is expected to be, but it looks like a lot.

Am I alone in thinking that large single developments of this kind on a summit known to regularly suffer water shortages are not the smartest idea in the world?

I'm far from opposed to the idea of marinas generally, but can't help feeling that more but smaller wouldn't put such heavy pressure on certain stretches of waterway.

Does it not work the other way?  They have just built a large storage reservoir for the summit pound.

Is there a feeder coming into the new marina from somewhere?

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Does it not work the other way?  They have just built a large storage reservoir for the summit pound.

Is there a feeder coming into the new marina from somewhere?

I don't know?  Is there?  Details?

Will the boats moored in this "large storage reservoir", (assuming that is your meaning), not be wanting to go up and down the staircase locks at each end of it, thereby placing far greater demands on the summit than were they not berthed there in such large numbers.

I'd be very interested in any argument that could establish this is a good thing for water resources overall.

Without evidence of how they may have mitigated against the possible impact, this looks a poor choice of location for such a large marina to me.  Any links to anything that explains why I am wrong, please?

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is the marina and the 'large storage reservoir' possibly one and the same thing?

That's my working assumption until told otherwise - see my post.

The counter to that of course, is that marinas are generally only built deep enough to allow boats to navigate and moor, not to the much greater depths generally found in most storage reservoirs.

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't know?  Is there?  Details?

Will the boats moored in this "large storage reservoir", (assuming that is your meaning), not be wanting to go up and down the staircase locks at each end of it, thereby placing far greater demands on the summit than were they not berthed there in such large numbers.

I'd be very interested in any argument that could establish this is a good thing for water resources overall.

Without evidence of how they may have mitigated against the possible impact, this looks a poor choice of location for such a large marina to me.  Any links to anything that explains why I am wrong, please?

I do not know either.  That is why I asked the question you seem to have taken umbrage to.

Yes, I was inferring that the new marina will store quite a few extra lockfulls of water on the pound.  If the boats all left the marina on the same day and went down the locks that would be bad, but how likely is that?

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The counter to that of course, is that marinas are generally only built deep enough to allow boats to navigate and moor, not to the much greater depths generally found in most storage reservoirs.

Agreed, but even a 4' depth of water over that area is surely an improvement on the field that was there previously for water storage.

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It isn't an effective storage reservoir if you can't drop the level in the reservoir to keep the level in the canal up.

The lake next to the marina is fed by the brook running to the right of the first picture. This is fed into the canal about 300 yards the other side of the main road and then leaves via an overflow into the level at the side of the marina. 

So all the water in the brook is available to the summit pound.

Edited by matty40s

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I do not know either.  That is why I asked the question you seem to have taken umbrage to.

What umbrage? :huh:

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, I was inferring that the new marina will store quite a few extra lockfulls of water on the pound.  If the boats all left the marina on the same day and went down the locks that would be bad, but how likely is that?

If you introduce lots of extra boats to a summit already having a history of water shortages, and they use the locks, (in whatever numbers - even if only a few a day), you need more than an extra store of water to compensate.  You need an extra source of water.

It seems unlikely this marina has come up with a way of putting extra water in the canal to compensate for the extra lock usage it must surely generate, but if it has, I was rather hoping someone could explain.

Until that explanation occurs, I'm not seeing it as a well thought out development.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Agreed, but even a 4' depth of water over that area is surely an improvement on the field that was there previously for water storage.

I believe some of those berths are for wide beams, which will not be using the locks.

Bod

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Kwacker said:

Not long now! 

Once the tracked vehicles have finished their work, they will finish the roadways and car parks and we’ll be in.

C00B6E73-7615-49F6-85B0-7F4C18AFAC9D.jpeg

15C048F7-30A7-4703-8F54-860BAC097A89.jpeg

585FFB89-27D0-4956-BA53-68F421985C4C.jpeg

DC962B8F-290C-4016-BD4A-087AA5FB4290.jpeg

Rode past here on my old Kwak a couple of weeks ago Kwacker. Did I imagine seeing a few boats moored in there then? 

On 19/03/2018 at 20:02, Bod said:

I believe some of those berths are for wide beams, which will not be using the locks.

Bod

They should be chained to the pontoons, not allowed out, that canal is not big enough for them.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

5 hours ago, ianali said:

Rode past here on my old Kwak a couple of weeks ago Kwacker. Did I imagine seeing a few boats moored in there then? 

No you did see some boats. There were some moored there when we passed in April. I did think some of the pontoons looked difficult to access on a windy day. 

Is there something I'm missing, or are boats going to find it difficult to get in and out of some of those pontoons because they're too close to the pontoons opposite?

I'm thinking here of the pontoons just inside the inner part of the marina; it looks to me from the aerial photo like there wouldn't be room to turn when all the berths are occupied, unless those berths are only used by shorter boats?

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Is there something I'm missing, or are boats going to find it difficult to get in and out of some of those pontoons because they're too close to the pontoons opposite?

I'm thinking here of the pontoons just inside the inner part of the marina; it looks to me from the aerial photo like there wouldn't be room to turn when all the berths are occupied, unless those berths are only used by shorter boats?

Most looked ok as I cruised by, but some must be hampered seriously by the islands and peninsulars. If windy, as I said above it may prove impossible. Maybe they will put boats in these that don’t plan to move (much) 

• 10 months later...