New Marina at North Kilworth

Kwacker

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

As the inclined plane at Foxton was introduced to enable wide boats then the summit level must be suitable for wide beams. They would only be able to navigate along the summit pound though.

I thought it was built to take a pair of Narrowboats

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought it was built to take a pair of Narrowboats

According to the details on the Foxton web site it was to take a pair of narrowboats or a single wide boat. The intention was to also widen Watford locks but that never happened.

Very arguable I would say whether much of the Leicester summit was ever suitable for loaded wide beam traffic, (given it would need to pass others coming the other way).

Clearly it was not originally designed or built for it, and I doubt any real widening  improvements took place as a result of building the inclined plane.  Happy to be corrected though if the evidence is otherwise.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of those moorings seem to be a long way from anything.... there seems to be no car parking by the mooring pontoons so I guess you drive your car there, unload, drive back to the car park (wherever that might be) and then have a long walk back to your mooring.