New Marina at North Kilworth

Kwacker

Featured Posts

Greenie Kwacker lets all be more positive this is a new marina which will give competition and valuable new moorings for those who do not wish to CC or live on the towpath.

These marinas are also a water buffer for the canal levels (mini reservoirs)

I looked at their website which then caused me to look at Debdale Wharf Marina which is owned by the same people. They offer molten zinc spraying as protection for the bottom of your boat. An interesting concept providing you can protect it from knocks and scrapes.

This picture was taken from the main road, the stream is way over to the right and the line of trees follows the canal with the Wharf beyond

Kilworth%2Bmarina%2B23%2Boct.jpg

I took this one from the towpath where the entrance to the canal will be. There is a large bank of soil to the extreme right which seems to be there to shield the wharf from the noise .

Kilworth%2Bmarina%2B23%2Boct%2Bb.jpg

are you on commision??

I see many posts on here that are negative with regard to the waterways, I just think it is marvelous to witness the birth of something positive, involving huge amounts of investment of both money and skill.

well you should be, Have you been in touch with debdale to see if you can set up an update blog or something, I was doing similar for Barby moorings and the only difference is signs, water and boats now- 4 years on, I guarantee that this will be delivered proffesionally and with customer service in mind.

are you on commision??

well you should be, Have you been in touch with debdale to see if you can set up an update blog or something, I was doing similar for Barby moorings and the only difference is signs, water and boats now- 4 years on, I guarantee that this will be delivered proffesionally and with customer service in mind.

Pretty sure this won't be another Barby, I know the folks at Debdale, so know how well they operate.

What has grabbed me about this development is the way they have endeavoured to blend it into the bend in the canal and the hillside, unlike say Yelvertoft, which to my eyes is just a windswept, water-filled pit. This one looks like it could be a really nice place to be.

From their website - http://www.northkilworthmarina.co.uk/

"Weather permitting, phase one (which includes all moorings) should be complete by late summer 2015 and phase two (workshops, chandlery etc.) by the autumn of 2016."

ps I'm with you on tunnels, especially Braunstone, last time through I followed an old thumper and came out half choked and deaf :)

Edited by Kwacker

You should worry, after 30 years of using every incarnation of Windows, my sons talked me into changing to Apple and I now feel like a total computer novice again .... Everything is back to front and upside down, like driving on the right only worse.

I, to have been talked into Apple and so far have managed to mess up completely, had everything wiped and latest is I've lost word...so back to Apple store for fourth time...dont think I've got the knack of this. Cannot access any of my writing which is really doing my head in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone have any idea when we will see this marina open? Ian

When it's ready. wink.png

I expect they have a guide date but as with all of these things it will move.

Debdale Wharf at Foxton will probably know. (It's their baby)

• 6 months later...

The Facebook link has a picture, but typically, the Harborough Mail fails to.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1056799344403149&id=990976340985450

The main body of the marina is now in water, the section shown, slipways, wetdocks etc. is kept dry currently by a temporary dam.

Website was down for a few days, but back now with latest gallery pictures showing some of the purpose-built staging going in.

I went past on Monday afternoon and all eight stages on the north western side were in.

It has been fascinating watching the marina slowly emerging and this most certainly will not just be a water-filled pit like some.

They seem to have fitted it to the landscape with a great deal of thought, and once the dust settles it will be a real asset to the Leicester Arm.

http://www.northkilworthmarina.co.uk/september-12th-3/nggallery/thumbnails

Edited by Kwacker

• 1 year later...

9D7987A0-3BD7-4507-9B5F-064BE31B5FE1-1730-00000331FBBD56BE.jpeg.a6240e61aef961700a49ea5a8c9f38a4.jpegHas a year really passed! 

Having sold my motorbike, I don't get out to Kilworth as often as I did, only passing (hurriedly) on the way to somewhere else these days. The Marina is progressing steadily, all be it slowly, with all the steelwork for the main building now erected.

This picture (from their website), taken in May shows an excavator starting to form the canal entrance. I can now see where my boat will be moored for the foreseeable future.

The guy who moors next to me at Debdale is working there full time and tells me that they hope to get the entrance and a small part of the marina open by November to accommodate winter moorers, but they are not compromising or rushing anything.

Edited by Kwacker

Does anyone know what is happening here? We went by this Friday and Saturday. I know its a bank holiday but we didn't see one person on site. The Main facilities building does not seem much further on than the last photos posted to their website in May 2017. It is now 3 years since work first started.

This is in complete contrast to Dunchurch Pools where the entrance basin opened in July and is now home to several boats on the temporary moorings. When we were there a few weeks ago the place was a hive of activity from first thing in the morning! 

• 1 month later...