An update on New Mills for anyone interested

kiki

Featured Posts

Hi All, since the Brammers desisted and deserted New Mills things have not really moved on at all. CRT took over the Moorings....and this is in the loosest sense of the word. They paid the rates and had the rubbish removed. Other than that, there has been no maintainance at the marina and things have really gone from bad to worse. We have all faithfully paid our mooring licenses and they have even more faithfully taken our money but since they took over:

Letter box rotted and fell off the gate: Boaters clubbed together and bought a new one, put it up and share a few keys between us.

Breakin in the buildings through a bit of hardboard over the windows: One of the boaters repaired this after CRT asked someone to do it for them.

The driveway has disintigrated into a quagmore which is now almost impossible to drive or walk on.

But the most worrying thing is that the lock which was used to keep the gates closed at night was stolen. Since there is no lock the gates are now left open to the public day and night. Our security was badly compromised 3 weeks ago when an intruder who I approached and asked to leave punched me in the side of my head and pushed me to the ground (I am a girl and 57 so really didn't expect that reaction) blackend my husbands eye and knocked a neighbours 3 front teeth out and really damaged his eye. A police case was opened and the intruder was caught. However when we called CRT and asked them for a new lock we were told "no you have already had one, you are not getting another one". They have not even had the decency to reply to the indicent reports we filed with them.

Things have really deteriorated there, Since the beginning of the year we have had 3 boats leave and another 4 due to leave at the end of March. Whoever the poor person is who finally does take over the property are going to take over a ghost town...dogs are running free around the moorings, pooing wherever they choose, strangers stoll in and out on weekends and we are thinking of charging entry fee to stare at us. Its such a shame but really I do think that CRT should be taking a bit more interest in their property. Aparantly there is a "taker" for it but it has been delayed for 3 months, so I don't think we will even see a new lock.

One good thing that came out of this is that people have been able to pull together in adversity, but for how much longer I just don't know.

Nothing to really be done except sit and wait...just thought a catch up might be in order.

Sad news and a sad indictment of CRT really.

Forgive me for asking, but why not buy a new lock, and share some keys among you. I don't know how much those high security locks with several key copies cost, but it won't be too much between several boaters?

What an unfortunate tale. Very sorry to hear you were assaulted.

One thing puzzles me. Why not club together and buy yourselves a new lock for the gate? Seems a small cost for a major benefit.

Or just leave, like the others!

MtB

I did hear that CaRT had applications in before Christmas on taking over the marina - a 30 year business plan had to be submitted - on that basis maybe they have had to revise their plans?

Perhaps, buying a new padlock is a short term answer. CaRT, as a landlord, has a duty of care or is this BWML?

Best of luck, the marina looks as though it needs some TLC when we pass it

I know it would be a hassle, but could you form a group of some kind and become volunteers to CRT, with the responsibility of providing minimum maintenance to the marina? They might provide some funds for the works - like the gate, security, and driveway?

I don't know how it works, but this seems like an ideal opportunity for them to make something happen

This isn't "new" news, Kiki, apart from the assault which would of course be unacceptable in any situation.

However, thanks for publishing the lack of security measures to all and sundry. I suspect that some miscreants may be sufficiently computer literate to read about it.

Vigilance required on the part of all moorers, not just the liveaboards,

Or just leave, like the others!

Really not a very helpful comment, our lives are in New Mills, we love the place, we work in Manchester and there is no other suitable residential mooring.....but why do I have to justify that.

We have of course considered buying a lock but its the key issue.....also really eveyrone who was pulling together and doing things are the ones that have now given up and left. Trying to get the remaining boaters to get their a**ses into gear is going to be an excerise in futility at this stage. Most of them are sitting waiting for the new owners to just come in and fix everything.

I know I sound like I am just having a kvetch here but honestly I am just so tired of all the hassling over every thing that has to be done. I was just updating you all.

Thanks for the sympathy, to be honest after Saturday's attack one of the couples who are retired did just that and moved.

I know it would be a hassle, but could you form a group of some kind and become volunteers to CRT, with the responsibility of providing minimum maintenance to the marina? They might provide some funds for the works - like the gate, security, and driveway?

I don't know how it works, but this seems like an ideal opportunity for them to make something happen

I agree that this would have been a very logical thing to do....which we did not have to offer, we just end up doing it anyway.....cuttig the grass, doing repairs, electrics etc......we are just not acknowledged as doing anything.

I assume that you all have some sort of contract or mooring agreement, and if CaRT are not complying with their part of the arrangements, i would have thought that you have the right to take legal action against them. If you do not have a contract, etc. i would suggest witholding part (or all) of your rent until they rectify matters, but make it clear that you are witholding rent until matters are resolved, rather than refusing to pay.

Keep records of all incidents, conversations and lack of maintenance, including photographs which could be used in the event of you taking legal action or you dedfending yourselves for witholding rent

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

I assume that you all have some sort of contract or mooring agreement, and if CaRT are not complying with their part of the arrangements, i would have thought that you have the right to take legal action against them. If you do not have a contract, etc. i would suggest witholding part (or all) of your rent until they rectify matters, but make it clear that you are witholding rent until matters are resolved, rather than refusing to pay.

Keep records of all incidents, conversations and lack of maintenance, including photographs which could be used in the event of you taking legal action or you dedfending yourselves for witholding rent

Good advice I think . It could also be worth the residents engaging a solicitor to advise on legal standings and help with communications.

Excellent point David and what I was alluding to in the duty of care a landlord has.

It was ever thus - everyone waits for someone to do something and so no one does it. I realise there will be 'caravan boats' there, but if you can get a letter done to all the moorers saying you want to form a moorers association or use the RBOA legal dept to help?

Yes the option is to move but as you say that isn't an option for some.

Best of luck

Semitrad, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

If a padlock will help your situation I have one that you are welcome to, It is a key retaining type, meaning it has to be relocked to get the key out.

Old but serviceable.

Nice offer....

As to the OP it sounds pretty dire and not something paying customers should be having to put up with at all. I think I endorse David's strategy of withholding payment on the grounds they are not fulfilling their side of the agreement (or at least initially threatening it) - I am however wary of involving a solicitor in this type of situation because invariably they are often the only winners.

There must be grounds for bringing a claim against them in the small claims court possibly?? any body know?

I am however wary of involving a solicitor in this type of situation because invariably they are often the only winners.

There's nothing wrong with taking legal advice though...........

Nice offer....

As to the OP it sounds pretty dire and not something paying customers should be having to put up with at all. I think I endorse David's strategy of withholding payment on the grounds they are not fulfilling their side of the agreement (or at least initially threatening it) - I am however wary of involving a solicitor in this type of situation because invariably they are often the only winners.

There must be grounds for bringing a claim against them in the small claims court possibly?? any body know?

You could always ask a solicitor.

As far as the padlock goes, a reasonably secure combination one can be had for about £20. It's not foolproof, but it'll likely be enough to deter any casual wanderers. If you change the combination after each boat leaves permanently, or every month or so, it's almost as secure as a keyed lock.

The expensive master keyed locks are as easy for any determined thieves to get past as a £30 Chubb disc lock. They don't pick locks much nowadays, they just use a crowbar or battery powered angle grinder.

I'm disappointed to hear that someone could get in and attack anyone in what should be a secure compound. The effects last long after the physical evidence disappears. mad.gif

Sorry Kiki but I didn't mean it as an unhelpful comment. You don't have to justify anything. It was a genuine question. Thank you for explaining.

It's a shitty situation you are stuck in.

MtB

Sorry Mike that was unnecessary of me to react like that. Please accept my apologies.

We being the Much Beloved and myself have witheld our mooring fee, the other couple have left so that is about as much as we can do really.

If a padlock will help your situation I have one that you are welcome to, It is a key retaining type, meaning it has to be relocked to get the key out.

Old but serviceable.

Yes yes yes....absolutely. That sounds like the one we had. I did ask around this weekend to see if anyone was up for just buying a lock and getting keys, but honestly they were about as enthusiastic as a pot plant. All just want to "wait till the new owners get here" - in other words as long as they did not get punched in the eye they are not prepared to spend a fiver on a new key.

Where about are you. I guess it will be expensive to post that is the problem.

Report the problems in writing as they happen, keep a copy

Warn CART in writing that unless they fix the list of problems (Attached) of which they have been notified on the following dates (copies of correspondence attached) you will withhold a fair percentage of your mooring fees.

That should do it. If not, withhold a reasonable proportion of your mooring fee and keep it in a separate account in case you need it.

The only way to get a landlord moving is to withhold rent.

Yes yes yes....absolutely. That sounds like the one we had. I did ask around this weekend to see if anyone was up for just buying a lock and getting keys, but honestly they were about as enthusiastic as a pot plant. All just want to "wait till the new owners get here" - in other words as long as they did not get punched in the eye they are not prepared to spend a fiver on a new key.

Where about are you. I guess it will be expensive to post that is the problem.

The padlock isn't a BW one - does this matter? The essential measurements are :- hasp diameter 10mm, inside hasp to body 25mm.

If you think this will fit pm me your address and I will send it.