"No mooring - private"

Featured Posts

We now have official CRT signs at Greenberfield so nasty smelly boats don't upset the resident of the former lockkeepers

cottage

How come? You can't moor outside a lock cottage because you'd be in the lock. So you trundle on past the lock-mooring bollards, by which time you are no longer near the cottage. Problem solved, if there was one in the first place. Edited by Athy

RichardH, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

We now have official CRT signs at Greenberfield so nasty smelly boats don't upset the resident of the former lockkeepers

cottage

Yes one does rather wonder if there was a clue as to the location in the sales literature.....

How come? You can't moor outside a lock cottage which time you are no longer near the cottage. Problem solved, if there was one in the first place

Qué?

(Edited to insert the text to which I was replying, which Athy edited whilst I was doing it. Confused? Me too!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Yes, right by the sharp bend in the area of bridge 165.

The signs are highly UN likely to be valid then.

Unless they are just making a factual statement, i.e. that there are no boats moored there, in which case I imagine they are often correct! :D

MtB

Athy, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

How come? You can't moor outside a lock cottage because you'd be in the lock. So you trundle on past the lock-mooring bollards, by which time you are no longer near the cottage. Problem solved, if there was one in the first place.

Not at Greenberfield - it is a flight of three locks with the cottage at the top of the flight. If you moor at the location of the cottage you are actually a short way away from the top lock.

ed -

this not my picture but it shows the site in question. The top lock is at the right of the picture.

u0F7Vrg.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Ah so, hadn't realised.

MtB, when I first posted my comment several words of it were cut out - I think somebody else mentioned the same thing happening to them recently. So I had to withdraw and edit it for it to make sense.

Athy, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Ah so, hadn't realised.

MtB, when I first posted my comment several words of it were cut out - I think somebody else mentioned the same thing happening to them recently. So I had to withdraw and edit it for it to make sense.

The area immediately past the 'culvert' on the left is for the water point and the moorings are just past that.

It is as you can see a lovely spot to moor.

Athy, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Absolutely. Does the curmudgeonly incumbent object to boats stopping to take on water, too?

He's never stopped me....

I once had an irate houseowner have a real go at me for parking outside her house in a village, shouting very aggressively at the top of her voice. My reply was something like "The bit you own ends there. the pavement and the road are for public use. I'll park where I like and there's nothing you can do about it so you can bugger off" - She was somewhat stumped

If the same happened on the towpath I think I'd be tempted with something similar though I might miss out the "bugger off" bit

Yes of course, it was a software glitch...

I took it to be the sherry. My apologies :D :D

MtB

Absolutely. Does the curmudgeonly incumbent object to boats stopping to take on water, too?

The one at a new build house in Macclesfield did, so BW spent £thousands of OUR money moving the water point to please him:-(

George ex nb Alton retired

The house on the corner at Napton Junction has these unofficial signs up too.

MtB

C!

Is that the one that was for sale a few years back? Nice looking house on the left just before the junction if approaching from Calcutt.

I think they had a small camp site??

THere is a stretch on the Nantwich embankment south of the aqueduct that has official signs saying no mooring. I had a meeting there last year with a C&RT official who said that they can't find any record of these signs going in and no one in the office was working there around 2003 when I think the signs went in. There are certainly a number of boaters in the area who remember them going in, and it was just after some fairly expensive houses were built just below the embankment. I complained bitterly at the time was given some bullship about it being on a bend so the banking was weaker.There are some new houses now built a bit further down. I asked if the same thing is likely there and was assured that no way would C&RT consider stopping boaters from mooring on the towpath just because some new houses have been built.

We will wait and see.

If the signs do look official, then it is worth raising it with C&RT, especially if they look new. It's not like the canal is a new thing is it? But when you hear about church bells being stopped because of nimby newcomers in villages it does make you wonder.

Ansty is a prime example of no mooring signs being erected for owners of recently (by canal standards) built houses. Then the pub refused to maintain the bridge from the visitor moorings to the village so it was demolished

Ansty is probably one of the most boater hostile villages on the cut.

It's their loss I will take my custom elsewhere.

Top Cat

I vaguely recollect a handful of unusual situations where people have towpath-side houses (canalside) and have obtained an "end of garden" mooring, thus making that 57' or so of stretch of towpath a private mooring. I don't know if its true though, it was something I saw as I passed one, not an official line from CRT or a thread on here etc.

By bridge 92 in Simpson (MK) their are two bollards where a previous homeowner (towpath side) had an agreement to moor there - initially hotel boats, then his personal boat.

JHKDP2Y.jpg

THere is a stretch on the Nantwich embankment south of the aqueduct that has official signs saying no mooring. I had a meeting there last year with a C&RT official who said that they can't find any record of these signs going in and no one in the office was working there around 2003 when I think the signs went in. There are certainly a number of boaters in the area who remember them going in, and it was just after some fairly expensive houses were built just below the embankment. I complained bitterly at the time was given some bullship about it being on a bend so the banking was weaker.There are some new houses now built a bit further down. I asked if the same thing is likely there and was assured that no way would C&RT consider stopping boaters from mooring on the towpath just because some new houses have been built.

We will wait and see.

If the signs do look official, then it is worth raising it with C&RT, especially if they look new. It's not like the canal is a new thing is it? But when you hear about church bells being stopped because of nimby newcomers in villages it does make you wonder.

I totally agree with dor about these mooring signs on the embankment at Nantwich. Years ago (long before those first new houses were built) we have moored along there. Then suddenly (cant remember now what year, but those first houses now built) and SUDDENLY the sign was there 'NO MOORING'. We thought then... what!!! So interesting point raised here by dor, and now that there has been more house building further on, mooring for us now for the town and shopping is very limited, unless you sort of hover around and wait for maybe someone to move on... sounds like the supermarket car park on a weekend lol... But maybe we should check this sign out with cart and see if or if its officially placed cos if affects us all eh?

Is that the one that was for sale a few years back? Nice looking house on the left just before the junction if approaching from Calcutt.

I think they had a small camp site??

Yes it is, and they actually have quite a big camping/caravan site. The house is called Wigrams after an earlier occupant called Wigerham, who ran the toll office there. He was actually a Vetenary Surgeon but spent most of his life working for the Warwick and Napton canal company as a Toll collector.