Alarm which links to your smartphone

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I saw this http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/safety-security/fire-safety-co-alarms/-brand-Nest/Nest-Protect-Smoke-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-Battery-13278566 and thought it looked great.

I have a cat on my boat and I often worry that if there's a problem with CO while I'm at work, I'll return to a dead pet. This is expensive but will give me peace of mind. It also gives me a fighting chance of dashing home and extinguishing a fire before it takes hold.

Any other views?

I saw this http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/safety-security/fire-safety-co-alarms/-brand-Nest/Nest-Protect-Smoke-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-Battery-13278566 and thought it looked great.

I have a cat on my boat and I often worry that if there's a problem with CO while I'm at work, I'll return to a dead pet. This is expensive but will give me peace of mind. It also gives me a fighting chance of dashing home and extinguishing a fire before it takes hold.

Any other views?

It looks very interesting and also topical with the current hype about "internet of things". I assume you have seen this in the details "Requires working Wi-Fi connection".

Bugger! I didn't see that! My wifi connection is my phone! The 'cloud' is inching ever nearer to my mooring though so maybe soon this will be an option.

I have a cat on my boat and I often worry that if there's a problem with CO while I'm at work, I'll return to a dead pet.

If you have adequate ventilation which you should have if a pet is aboard then there should be no problem...

Any other views?

I just can't believe you are being serious...

System why should Dave not be serious about safety, what protects the cat protects the people as well. Cats matter too.

The Wi fi connection seems to be the thing to sort, I'm out of my depth at this point as I still haven't got fully educated on this techy stuff.

I quite like the idea of monitoring my home while absent, peace of mind is worth a lot. Now we have no pets it's much easier not to worry too much when away.

Humans, as a first rule in case of fire, provide themselves with a means of escape, why shouldn't that be extended to their pets? Imagine, as a human being relying on an alarm sending a warning to mobilise someone to come and let you out, hoping they will reach you before the fire/smoke does.

It's a no brainer, fit a catflap.

Don't small animals have totally different tolerance levels to CO? Wouldn't you need a separate CO detector calibrated specifically for the specific animal species?

No, they don't. Canaries do, but mammals are okay.

Wi-Fi connection is perfectly feasible if you had a Mi-Fi and left it connected to a USB port to charge/power it. Its current draw is small - so if you had solar power etc or a good electrical/charging regime (or shoreline) then it would be a non-issue to just leave it on from a power consumption point of view. You'd probably want to double check its secure, so that people can't steal your bandwidth though.