spiders

paneuro

Featured Posts

we have been looking for a boat for our daughter to semi liveaboard for a few weeks now and have been learning about the life style as we go along,this may seem an unusual question but my daughter has a fear of spiders,is there any reason to believe that a narrowboat envoironment would attract more than general housing if the boat was lived on daily,i.e.cleaned,vaccumed,etc?it would be in a marina.thanks,phil.

I am quite an acute Arachnophobe - but mainly House Spiders! In 6 years aboard I can honestly say I have not seen one Tegenaria Duellica. But, other species of Spider - certainly the common Garden Spider - then yes, but I am less fearful of them and understand a lot of fellow Arachnophobes are similar. Perhaps not, but that's my ten peneth.

Yes it is definitely true to say that you very much get a different type of spiders in boats than you do in houses; the fat-bodied, pointy legged flecked garden spiders that tend to keep still, rather than the long-legged grey house tarantulas that suddenly run across the floor without warning.

• Greenie 1

The strangest thing is - a good few years back (when I was no less of an Arachnophobe it has to be said) I had a pet Chillean Rose Tarantula. I could just about tolerate it crawling slowly up my arm. The Giant House Spider though (endemic to the UK) forget it!!!!

paneuro

I can really understand your concerns about the safety of your daughter, especially in these difficult times of global warming etc, where even the experts are unsure of the effects on the environment that these changes will have.

I believe that, if my good lady was willing to take on the great risk, that we will spend 2 weeks on the said boat, and I will guarantee, once we have evicted any spiders that may kill your daughter, she will be totally safe.

Hope I can help you

David

paneuro

I can really understand your concerns about the safety of your daughter, especially in these difficult times of global warming etc, where even the experts are unsure of the effects on the environment that these changes will have.

I believe that, if my good lady was willing to take on the great risk, that we will spend 2 weeks on the said boat, and I will guarantee, once we have evicted any spiders that may kill your daughter, she will be totally safe.

Hope I can help you

David

I wasn't aware the UK had any spiders that could kill a person. I am aware that there have been recent sightings in the South of the UK of False Widdow spiders, but I believe their bite is not fatal. I have not seen any though.

We have a common garden spider taken up residence in each of our mushroom vents, and having spun their web, they have become a permanent fixture. I have never seen them move and I am sure they help to control other undesirable insects on board. I'd much prefer a few spiders than irritating mozzies buzzing around.

Ken

Paneuro, my wife detests spiders, she can spot a money spider from 200 paces so I'm aware of the problems.

Our first boat had bus windows which opened and we had spiders. Our present boat has all fixed portholes and has virtually no spiders.

Phil

We have a common garden spider taken up residence in each of our mushroom vents. I have never seen them move

Ah, what you have there, Sir, are CAs - Continuous Arachnids. Stay in one place for ages, they do, and if you do manage to move them on, they're back in the same mushroom vent a week later.

Ellisiana, the paradox is that spiders like dry places. So if a boat has no spiders, it could mean that the boat's interior is damp. I assume (though I am not totally sure) that proprietary brands of aerosol insect killer will also kill spiders. Personally I love to observe them going about their business and weaving their magic, but I can understand that not everyone feels the same way.

Spiders are our friends. If spiders are living on your boat, as they do on mine, they must be feeding on something. I would be more worried about whatever they are feeding on becoming a nuisance rather than the spiders.

Also spiders do not generally live in damp areas so spiders do indicate a nice dry boat.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

We have a common garden spider taken up residence in each of our mushroom vents. I have never seen them moveAh, what you have there, Sir, are CAs - Continuous Arachnids. Stay in one place for ages, they do, and if you do manage to move them on, they're back in the same mushroom vent a week later.Ellisiana, the paradox is that spiders like dry places. So if a boat has no spiders, it could mean that the boat's interior is damp. I assume (though I am not totally sure) that proprietary brands of aerosol insect killer will also kill spiders. Personally I love to observe them going about their business and weaving their magic, but I can understand that not everyone feels the same way.

LOL! CA's - I like that!

As we don't have spiders anywhere else on board, I put that down to a few handfulls of conkers we have strategically placed around the boats interior. Don't know whether that's just an old wives tale, but it certainly seems to work.

I notice there is an anti-spider spray you can buy in Midland Chandlers (and I guess other chandlers also) which is based on an extract from conkers. So maybe there is something in that after all.

Ken

I notice there is an anti-spider spray you can buy in Midland Chandlers (and I guess other chandlers also) which is based on an extract from conkers. So maybe there is something in that after all.

Ken

You believe that old chestnut, do you?

The problem with the spiders on my boat is they refuse to use the pump out loo and crap on the curtains . I've always left windows open in the past for circulation of air but this year decided to keep all windows closed over winter hopefully that will keep them out . I've had snails climb up the side of the boat and in through the windows when the river has been in flood and reeds have got trapped between my boat and landing stage . The joys of mooring on the River Nene .

LOL! CA's - I like that!

As we don't have spiders anywhere else on board, I put that down to a few handfulls of conkers we have strategically placed around the boats interior. Don't know whether that's just an old wives tale, but it certainly seems to work.

Ken

That's like the elephant powder I put down in my garden. Works really well.

Seriously though, isn't there a way of overcoming a revulsion about our eight-legged friends? In the UK they are completely harmless, as well as being fascinating examples of how evolution works. I like 'em (although I admit I still have to 'compose myself' before rescuing a large one).

we have been looking for a boat for our daughter to semi liveaboard for a few weeks now and have been learning about the life style as we go along,this may seem an unusual question but my daughter has a fear of spiders,is there any reason to believe that a narrowboat envoironment would attract more than general housing if the boat was lived on daily,i.e.cleaned,vaccumed,etc?it would be in a marina.thanks,phil.

I am petrified of spiders. My boat is full of the gits. My only respite is the winter time when they have the decency to die or hibernate or whatever it is they do.

Ive been on my boat, in a marina for 5 months now and I have not seen 1 spider. Don't let a fear of spiders ruin a wonderful chance. Get a spider catcher (if cant bear to kill) just in case one wants to make friends

It's winter

Yes it is definitely true to say that you very much get a different type of spiders in boats than you do in houses; the fat-bodied, pointy legged flecked garden spiders that tend to keep still, rather than the long-legged grey house tarantulas that suddenly run across the floor without warning.

I have giant ones the like that my parent's garage used to house. They live in the gas locker, bow lockers and come up through the dinette seats also in the front of the boat.

there's some in the cruiser stern bilge and back cabin too.

OP don't let your daughter read this!

paneuro

Hope I can help you

David

Brilliant!!! Still laughing nowclapping.giflaugh.png

I am petrified of spiders. My boat is full of the gits. My only respite is the winter time when they have the decency to die or hibernate or whatever it is they do.

It's winter

I have giant ones the like that my parent's garage used to house. They live in the gas locker, bow lockers and come up through the dinette seats also in the front of the boat.

there's some in the cruiser stern bilge and back cabin too.

OP don't let your daughter read this!

to late!! she's just fainted! seriously though as long as it's not an issue with boats,she'll be o.k.probably better than you by the sound of things!hug.gif