"Corridor in a ditch"

molli

Featured Posts

Hi, You might be interested in listening to a radio 4 programme today at 15.45 called Keep your Bricks & Mortar by a guy called Dylan Winter.

Today he is talking to someone living on a NB. Yesterday he interviewed a young couple living on a sort of farm trailer. The approx size of tailer is 20' x 8'. She described some of her friends who live on NB's as living in a corridor in a ditch !! That's a new one on me.

regards nicki

Hi, You might be interested in listening to a radio 4 programme today at 15.45 called Keep your Bricks & Mortar by a guy called Dylan Winter.

Today he is talking to someone living on a NB. Yesterday he interviewed a young couple living on a sort of farm trailer. The approx size of tailer is 20' x 8'. She described some of her friends who live on NB's as living in a corridor in a ditch !! That's a new one on me.

regards nicki

excellent! Thanks for that I shall endeavour to listen to it. I heard yesterdays and roared with laughter at the NB desciption!

She described some of her friends who live on NB's as living in a corridor in a ditch !! That's a new one on me.

regards nicki

When on the River Thames earlier in the year, we heard our boat referred to as a 'ditch-crawler'; apparantly the owner or skipper of one of those high river cruisers was complaining about the amount of space we had taken on the mooring.

Edited by NB Alnwick

When on the River Thames earlier in the year, we heard our boat referred to as a 'ditch-crawler'; apparantly the owner or skipper of one of those high river cruisers was complaining about the amount of space we had taken on the mooring.

'Ditch Crawlers' are slow river and canal boats, being the speed limit is around only 6mph.

NBs are 'coffins' or 'sewer tubes'

Large GRP cruisers 'Gin Palaces'

Small GRP cruisers are 'fenders'.

And yes, there is a ring of truth about someone who wants something 70ft X 6ft - 10inch, against the same, or more space in 37ft or more. No problem as long as they breast up.

Now I don't have a problem mooring. I just ask them to move up a bit, or even moor on the bank, but it really is a bone of contention with many around here. Being a quiet river there is usually plenty of space, but given the banks are stoned, so it's only possible to moor on the moorings provided. So to turn up and find 3 boats taking up the whole mooring, when our club has moored 13 in the same space, albeit with some breasted....well they do have a point.

• 1 month later...
Reminds me of something I heard, that living on a narrowboat compares with moving your bed, stove, loo and shower out onto the landing and forgetting about the rest of the house.

The way I look at it, less people know about how wicked it is living on a boat the better. Keep yer houses, if they all got boats we'd never get anywhere.

Oh yes, and its cold, damp, rats, no comfort, s**t in a bucket, no mains electric, at the mercy of BW and slow internet connection.

YES I WOULD MUCH RATHER LIVE IN A HOUSE. :)