4LW heartbeat

jenevers

Featured Posts

Indeed. On reflection, I've got one in ALDEBARAN!

MtB

How does that qualify?

I'm thinking of a two stroke with a separate scavenging piston

Richard

I've got one of these:-

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/a/aa/Gardner_at_Anson07.jpg

Single cylinder with compressor cylinder for charging air start bottles.

Does that count?

Tim

Triumph twin

Triumph-crank.jpg

Richard

Balancing is not a term which can be used with much accuracy if the subject is a 360 twin!

Can anyone imagine the vibration levels of a Kelvin K2 as a 360 twin?

N

Balancing is not a term which can be used with much accuracy if the subject is a 360 twin!

Can anyone imagine the vibration levels of a Kelvin K2 as a 360 twin?

N

Glorious?

Richard

I've got a 360 twin in my Bonnie. It throbs to let you know you are sitting on it

A 360 twin Kelvin would be awesome - It would certainly send ripples on the canal just sitting on tickover

As a matter of interest some Bonnie derivatives are 270 twins - precisely to enhance the uneven vibe that some bikers love (particularly Harley lovers, - think potatopotatopotato)

I've got a 360 twin in my Bonnie. It throbs to let you know you are sitting on it

A 360 twin Kelvin would be awesome - It would certainly send ripples on the canal just sitting on tickover

As a matter of interest some Bonnie derivatives are 270 twins - precisely to enhance the uneven vibe that some bikers love (particularly Harley lovers, - think potatopotatopotato)

You made me think "Potatopotato,Now i am going out to buy some chips,no peace for Gluttony!

CT

Now now, I'm sure Mike loves his engine, but there's no need to make accusations of that nature.

I was going to ask if the cylinder was horizontal, so it would be a Boxer engine like wot our Subaru has. A 1 cylinder Boxer, as rare as the sound of one hand clapping.

Now now, I'm sure Mike loves his engine, but there's no need to make accusations of that nature.

I was going to ask if the cylinder was horizontal, so it would be a Boxer engine like wot our Subaru has. A 1 cylinder Boxer, as rare as the sound of one hand clapping.

It could be a K1 Twingle - and I never knew of those types (twingles) till yesterday.

4lw running at 440 rpm. Four firings every two revolutions, so two very revolution.

Two times 440 is 880 firings per minute. Or 880 / 60 per second, 14.666 beats per second. Say 14 to make it easier

Not sure I could pick out 14 firings a second. Try clapping that fast

Richard

Is this correct - a twin (with conn rods at 180 apart) firing at 0 degrees on cylinder 1

I've mapped it out and the stroke cycles could(?) only be

0-180 180-360 360-540 540-720 = movement of piston 1

Bang Blow Suck Squeeze = cycle of piston 1

squeeze bang blow suck = possible cycle of piston 2

blow suck squeeze bang = another possible cycle of piston 2

Hence you will always get 2 bangs close together (180 apart) and then a long (540) gap between bangs.

Edited by mark99

Is this correct - a twin (with conn rods at 180 apart) firing at 0 degrees on cylinder 1

I've mapped it out and the stroke cycles could(?) only be

0-180 180-360 360-540 540-720 = movement of piston 1

Bang Blow Suck Squeeze = cycle of piston 1

squeeze bang blow suck = possible cycle of piston 2

blow suck squeeze bang = another possible cycle of piston 2

Hence you will always get 2 bangs close together (180 apart) and then a long (540) gap between bangs.

Mark

Is it an engine you are writing about or do you spend too much time around Shepherd's Market, Mayfair?........................

M.

Mark, you're confusing yourself! Your first two lines are correct, then that's it. Back to the start.

The two revolution cycle begins at 0 degrees. The first whole revolution contains a compression and firing stroke by each cylinder. The second revolution begins at 360 degrees and contains an exhaust stroke by each cylinder. Then back to the start and it all happens the same again.

MtB

Mark, you're confusing yourself! Your first two lines are correct, then that's it. Back to the start.

The two revolution cycle begins at 0 degrees. The first whole revolution contains a compression and firing stroke by each cylinder. The second revolution begins at 360 degrees and contains an exhaust stroke by each cylinder. Then back to the start and it all happens the same again.

MtB

lol Mike quite probably.

I'm trying to get clear (in my own mind) that on a twin with con rods at 180, you cannot have evenly spaced bangs and blows - the bangs will always be 2 quicks ( at 180 intervals) followed by 540 of quiet before the cycle starts again.

So in the map above, you either have the strokes arranged as per lines 1 and 2....... or........... arranged as line 1 and 3 - both give a 180 gap between bangs followed by 540 of quiet.

Edited by mark99

I see!

You are correct. Two consecutive bangs then two consecutive exhaust strokes.

Your second option just depends on the firing order of your engine. Is it 1,2? Or 2,1?

MtB

A, B

:)

• 3 months later...