4LW heartbeat

jenevers

Featured Posts

Have seen these Big Bang engines where 2 cylinders fire @ once, both petrol, and in race cars. One was a vauxhall 16V the other was a Suzuki hyabusa. Both had a very strange and unique sound. Was done by having specially made cam shafts done.

Thanks for the link Mark. Fascinating.

I guess the firing order becomes 1+4, 2+3, and yes they must sound really weird!

Not sure I fancy one in a narrowboat though :)

MtB

There's a fiesta on Utube modded - sounds great!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BSKTooB4TY

Back to Gardners - 2LW = 1 crank rev per bang taking into account there are two cylinders - I'll need to check the manual to see timing diagram to be sure.

Yes on a 2LW there will be to bangs on crank revolution 1, then two absences of a bang on crank revolution 2. So an average of one bang per crank rev.

On the OP's 4LW the two 'absences of a bang' will be filled with two bangs from the other pair of cylinders so two bangs per crank rev.

That big bang Fiesta sounds like my Scooby. Being a Boxer format engine I've never thought through the firing order but it strikes me there must be a problem with balance just like on a twin cylinder, hence the distinctive noise.

MtB

Yes on a 2LW there will be to bangs on crank revolution 1, then two absences of a bang on crank revolution 2. So an average of one bang per crank rev.

MtB

Correct, but it sounds like one bang every other revolution because the two 'bangs', or at least the exhaust pulses, blend into one except at very low speeds.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I feel I am detached from this thread.

When cruising our engine revs at something like 1100 revs.

Martyn

It's a bugger counting the bangs on those, even at tick-over, isn't it!

I counted 180 (30 in 10 seconds) so that's 2 revs per bang but there are two cylinders so thats actually 1 rev per bang = 180 revs per minute.

No, as per my earlier post, you only hear one 'bang' every other revolution because the two are close together, with a long gap before the next, so 180 x 2 = 360.

Besides, a 2LW would not be happy at 180 rpm sad.png

Tim

No, as per my earlier post, you only hear one 'bang' every other revolution because the two are close together, with a long gap before the next, so 180 x 2 = 360.

Tim

Tim

Thanks for that Tim.

Vid is not good enough, otherwise count a valves opening movements in 10 seconds and *6 (gives per min) and then *2 (as 2 revs per 4 stroke cycle.

Tim

NB

If the first cylinder bang is at crankshaft position 0 degrees, when is the second cylinder bang if not at 360 degrees? ta

Edited by mark99

NB

If the first cylinder bang is at crankshaft position 0 degrees, when is the second cylinder bang if not at 360 degrees? ta

180 degrees (how many cylinders do you have, and what shape is your crankshaft?)

Lister Petter:

06.jpg

Triumph twin

Triumph-crank.jpg

Richard

Edited by RLWP

180 degrees (how many cylinders do you have, and what shape is your crankshaft?)

Gardner 2LW - if one bang creates 720 degrees crank rotation before next bang on that cylinder (2 revs of crank) when does second cylinder bang occour - if it's 180 then that makes what Tim say logical - ie two quick bangs then a long pause (540 degrees).

Gardner 2LW - if one bang creates 720 degrees crank rotation before next bang on that cylinder (2 revs of crank) when does second cylinder bang occour - if it's 180 then that makes what Tim say logical - ie two quick bangs then a long pause (540 degrees).

Like the first crankshaft picture. Cylinder 1 fires (BANG) while 2 compresses, 1 exhausts while 2 fires (BANG) , [end of first revolution] 1 draws (SUCK) while 2 exhausts, 1 compresses while 2 draws (SUCK), [end of second revolution] and repeat

Richard

MORE strictly speaking, you hear the bangs when the exhaust opens, but you get the idea

Edited by RLWP

Like the first crankshaft picture. Cylinder 1 fires (BANG) while 2 compresses, 1 exhausts while 2 fires (BANG) , [end of first revolution] 1 draws (SUCK) while 2 exhausts, 1 compresses while 2 draws (SUCK), [end of second revolution] and repeat

Richard

MORE strictly speaking, you hear the bangs when the exhaust opens, but you get the idea

On my Kelvin, you can clearly hear the 'donk' of compression ignition, out of phase with the 'dum' from the exhaust pipe.

Even so, each 'dum' on the 4LW must be an exhaust stroke so 4 dums per two revolutions of the crank.

I always fancied a three stroke engine, or possibly a nine stroke....

MtB