HU Zinga 10kg @ £99 - some left

reg

Featured Posts

Just taken delivery of 2 tins of ZINGA coating from a guy based in the birmingham area. Only cost £99 per tin (about half the online retail price). He says he has a small number of cans left, If anyone is interested then PM me and I'll let him know of your interest.

My understanding is that he purchases ZINGA for specific jobs he does in his own company and some times has small amounts (to him ) left over which he sells on, so this may be repeatable in the future. I have pointed him to this site and the number of interesting discusions on the use of ZINGA

Seems a very genuine guy, delivered them to me for nothing at Fradley junction and gave me a free pair of saftey glasses and 2 pair of industrial rubber gloves plus alot of useful info on how he uses it.

If you want some tech info on ZINGA I found a verry good site which also has a coverage calculator (note this is NOT the site I bought them from)

http://www.classcoat.com/2327.html

Note: I have no association with this other than as a satisfied customer with a one of purchase.

I'm all set now with my ZINGA, Tercoo tools and a couple of Hempel 2 pack kits, just need a good DIY place now where I can get the work done, any suggestions appreciated.

Just taken delivery of 2 tins of ZINGA coating from a guy based in the birmingham area. Only cost £99 per tin (about half the online retail price). He says he has a small number of cans left, If anyone is interested then PM me and I'll let him know of your interest.

My understanding is that he purchases ZINGA for specific jobs he does in his own company and some times has small amounts (to him ) left over which he sells on, so this may be repeatable in the future. I have pointed him to this site and the number of interesting discusions on the use of ZINGA

Seems a very genuine guy, delivered them to me for nothing at Fradley junction and gave me a free pair of saftey glasses and 2 pair of industrial rubber gloves plus alot of useful info on how he uses it.

If you want some tech info on ZINGA I found a verry good site which also has a coverage calculator (note this is NOT the site I bought them from)

http://www.classcoat.com/2327.html

Note: I have no association with this other than as a satisfied customer with a one of purchase.

I'm all set now with my ZINGA, Tercoo tools and a couple of Hempel 2 pack kits, just need a good DIY place now where I can get the work done, any suggestions appreciated.

Should Zinga not be applied to a spotlessly clean gritblasted hull, reg?

Yep. Or I am informed that the TERCOO tools will give the required surface for coating so I have purchased a set of three of these from here http://tercoo-rotating-blaster.co.uk/ This a a cheaper option than grit blasting but is more work. Once grit balsted and coated The zinga should idealy but blacked over . My understanding is that the ZINGA should then be good for 15-20 years, as i'm now 64 I am hoping to be around when it needs to be redone.

Edited by reg

I've used Zinga with success on the galvanised trim on my landie.....some was rusty...some was ok...I just lighty abraded it then thoroughly degreased it and slapped two coats of zinga on.....three ish years later and it all looks good....

I also used it on the inside of the hull when we refitted the bathroom last year but as it's all now covered with the fit out I can't say how that's doing......one thing I would say is that even with a face mask on its a bit pokey when used in a confined space...you probably should use a full face air fed mask or similar...I was a little poorly for a while afterwards!!

Cheers

Gareth

I've used Zinga with success on the galvanised trim on my landie.....some was rusty...some was ok...I just lighty abraded it then thoroughly degreased it and slapped two coats of zinga on.....three ish years later and it all looks good....

I also used it on the inside of the hull when we refitted the bathroom last year but as it's all now covered with the fit out I can't say how that's doing......one thing I would say is that even with a face mask on its a bit pokey when used in a confined space...you probably should use a full face air fed mask or similar...I was a little poorly for a while afterwards!!

Cheers

Gareth

Although I have never used it myself I have read up on it extensively and your warnings are very pertenent, the technical specs give full info on safety. The guy I bought it from said that he knew some one who had a small splash into the eye and it was like having a cigarette stubbed out on the eyeball so .yes. full safety precautions need to be headed

• 1 year later...

How effective did you find the Tercoo blaster system? this included

Very Good. For a 57ft boat I should of bought a 3 pack of 3 blades as it was i bought a bundle 3 + 2 + 1 blades. The blades were pretty worn at the end of the job and were not giving an ideal finish i.e although they were stripping ok the 'grit blast' finish was not so good towards the end, with the 3 x 3 pack i would of had an ideal finish right the way through the job.

Having said they are very good they are a lot of hard work to strip a complete hull. The up side was that I galvanised the hull up to the rubbing strake and put a two pack coating on top for just about £960 albeit I got the ZINGA cheap. The cost included Zinga, 2 x two pack, dry dock for 14 days, brushes and rollers. paying full price for the zinga would of taking the price up to about £1,060-£1,100 So still a decent price. If you deduct the price of a standard blacking it starts to look a bargain.

For a 57 ft boat I used approx 11kg of Zinga, basically one 10kg tin plus a bit more. I though i would need more but the Zinga web site recommended that for a two part system i.e two pack system on top of the Zinga then only a single thinish coat should be used this nis because the Zinga needs to react/ combine with the stripped steel, a second coat would of been ZInga on Zinga not Zinga on steel.

If you want to do it yourself at a budget price then the TERCOO + Zinga + two pack is the way to go if you don't mind a bit of hard work. The way I look at it is that its a once off 2 week job that, at my age, you won't need to do again However If i knew then what I know now I would probably of waited a bit longer and gone for a grit blast job and then applied the Zinga and two pack myself.

In summary TERCOO tools very good and cost effective

Zinga excellent.

Its nice when you get a scrape to see Zinc rather than steel However its worth remembering a very heavy scrape will still go down to the steel so a degree of checking is still required. I intend taking the boat out of water in about 2- 3 years just to see what the wear is like.

Hope this helps

Note to Neil who asked why I had lost the contact details. Fair question, answer is total incompetence and ineptitude on my part which is fairly consistant for me

Edited by reg

Thanks for the reply Reg.

First hand feedback is always useful.

No problem

One addition re the TERCOO tool be careful near protrusion i.e rubbing strakes as these can rip the teeth out causing premature wear and an imbalance. Best to do all the large areas first and then either use the worn tool in the nooks and crannies (What is a crannie?) or use a grinder for detail work.

Also I found it most effective to run my mains powered drill at about a 3 or 4 speed, not sure what the rpm was but you will find the most effective for your own drill. Tried using a slower speed as recommended in a number of places but was getting nowhere

regards

• 6 years later...

6 1/2 YEAR UPDATE. 

Just an update on this. Had the boat out for some repairs a couple of months back and checked the Zinga on the waterline (3 coats) and below the waterline (2 coats) result

Waterline: required no touching up as no sign of rust at all. 

Below waterline: minimal maintenance and touch up required. Except for one area of approx 3ft x 3ft which was the first area I did and where I had not mixed the Zinga  sufficiently, even that area was much more healthy than if just blacking was used. 

NO ANODES were used at all during this period. 

Lessons learnt.

3 thin coats of Zinga very good. 

2 thin coats of Zinga good. 

Anodes not required (feel free to discuss just don't include me) 

Zinga must be thoroughly mixed before use. I used a large crowbar for this even then it took a while. 

Most important lesson surface MUST be correctly prepared, read up in detail before embarking on the job. 

Tercoo tools do the job but are very hard work for a full Hull. 

Hope this update helps. 

• Greenie 3