Re: 'Claiming Benefits like Housing if needed on water?'

Smudge38

Featured Posts

Hello All,.

I would just like ask a general Q. see if anybody could throw light on this..I know what the answer probably be but just would like any feedback on this subject.

Could anybody who has done this please answer me if know. I know it will probably be a definite 'Yes' answer if living in a Marina as I guessing this solves my Q. as saying got fixed address.

My Q. is just with regards 'Continue Cruising' situation.. Can anybody tell me the answer this Q. if poss.

Is it possible to claim any extra Benefits (I.e. if as was on land)) like 'Housing benefit' or related if living on the waterways & at a time out of work!??

Well that is it...

Regards

Newbee..

Problem is its run by local councils for the government, so if you move from one council area to another you have to reapply.

So basically claim licence fee and continuous moor within the council area.

I know it will probably be a definite 'Yes' answer if living in a Marina

I've been looking into the finer details of living in a marina, and most of the ones I've looked at have terms and conditions which specifically exclude using their address to register on the electoral roll, run a business or claim state benefits. (I run a business)

Of course, you could register as self-employed, "canal and wildlife photographer" or somesuch, and then claim Working Tax Credits (this is what the Romanian "Big Issue" sellers are doing), then you wouldn't have to jump through half as many hoops, sign on fortnightly etc.

In last months towpath all details about what you can claim are on there. Most councils don`t know their obligations. I upto now have found out that you can claim your licence fee and mooring third party insurance and your safety cert. Council tax is a desputed thing. Can`t get a strait answer to this. I have to pay 22% equal to £166 per year. But other people who are in the preverbual. Boat as me same cicumstances etc get it all paid. This is under the same council. I have asked the question ,still waiting for an answer. Even welfare rights don't know. Think they make it up as they go.

You do not need to be on electoral roll .What area are you looking at ?

No, I won't need to be on the electoral roll, and after six months or so in a marina while I get the boat ship-shape and Bristol fashion, I'll be off continuously cruising. I will probably stay on the electoral roll at my current address, just in case I need to obtain credit at some point in the future.

By the way you can claim if you are a CC er for licence insurance and safety cert-and you can use the local council office as a care of address. Or and freinds you like. So long as you provide income and any fees.

The 'Get a Job' brigade on here will be baying for your blood soon, so brace yourself for that.

I had the misfortune to be unemployed a while back. Because I had saved a small amount of money from previous work, I was just about able to support myself for a while in day to day living terms. So I didn't want to sign on the dole, although I would have been entitled to do so.

I did need to claim housing benefit however, as housing (rent) was by far my biggest expense. Despite my trying to save the taxpayer money by not claiming JSA, because I felt I could afford to, the local council (who deal with housing benefit) were having none of it. They insisted I claim jobseekers' allowance before I could claim housing benefit. They actually wanted me to cost the taxpayer more!

Being an upstanding citizen (and having a bit of time on my hands), I spent quite a while researching the lagalities of it all. Oddly, the internet didn't help with the nitty gritty detail and I had to spend half a day in a big library (Birmingham) reading the relevant legislation. Armed with that, I went back to the local council, who caved in immediately.

The point of this rather long post: look into the details of what you're trying to do - there's plenty on here about it. Also, have a look at the relevant legislation itself (day out at a big library) and don't take "computer says no" for an answer. Good luck.

Problem is its run by local councils for the government, so if you move from one council area to another you have to reapply.So basically claim licence fee and continuous moor within the council area.

C and River Trust pay a composit levy to central government which is distributed to local councils. You contribute to this via your licence fee. This should council tax. As I have mentioned before can't get an answer yet. But you can claim housing benefit from

nearest council office and this can cover you travel between different councils. So in tbeory you do not have to make new claims as you travel through boundaries-. I contacted Jenny Dibsdall Salvation Army who provided me with this imformation.As I could not continually cruise as had a son in the local school.

C and River Trust pay a composit levy to central government which is distributed to local councils. You contribute to this via your licence fee. This should council tax. As I have mentioned before can't get an answer yet. But you can claim housing benefit from

nearest council office and this can cover you travel between different councils. So in tbeory you do not have to make new claims as you travel through boundaries-. I contacted Jenny Dibsdall Salvation Army who provided me with this imformation.As I could not continually cruise as had a son in the local school.

I have never heard anything about this *composit levy*. Can you enlighten me please?

The 'Get a Job' brigade on here will be baying for your blood soon, so brace yourself for that.

I had the misfortune to be unemployed a while back. Because I had saved a small amount of money from previous work, I was just about able to support myself for a while in day to day living terms. So I didn't want to sign on the dole, although I would have been entitled to do so.

I did need to claim housing benefit however, as housing (rent) was by far my biggest expense. Despite my trying to save the taxpayer money by not claiming JSA, because I felt I could afford to, the local council (who deal with housing benefit) were having none of it. They insisted I claim jobseekers' allowance before I could claim housing benefit. They actually wanted me to cost the taxpayer more!

Yes, you cannot claim housing benefit unless you are already in receipt of some other state benefit.

You have got to tick boxes. The jobcentres are nothing more than that. Follow all their rules to the letter and dot. They don't take prisoners and are not interested in your welfare. They're looking for any reason to sanction. Fair play does not exist in these places. Signing on can be as short as every week.

If you do get sanctioned on JSA, you will lose your housing benefit as well. Clear proof that they really don't give a sh*t. Without money to pay for food, heating or pay for the roof over your head or pay for your mooring. In a moment, they have reduced your chances of stability and put you in an even deeper hole.

Considering the amount of damage they can do to those in need, and do it without warning, the system is really sadistic.

I was sanctioned after finding a job - forgot to list all my jobsearchers on the right form and was told I wasn't doing enough to find work. Had been on the dole for three weeks, got a job. BAM!!! Tick all the boxes, they're just following orders and the administration of policy. With a berk (Berkshire Hunt) like Ian Duncan Smith in charge, they have got to recoup the loss of £41,000,000 some how, lost through their faults. Ooops, sorry, they don't have any faults.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

No, I won't need to be on the electoral roll, and after six months or so in a marina while I get the boat ship-shape and Bristol fashion, I'll be off continuously cruising. I will probably stay on the electoral roll at my current address, just in case I need to obtain credit at some point in the future.

I continually cruise and use my sisters address as my point of contact for mail and suchlike. However, I haven't been on an electoral roll since I sold my house in 2008. I did think about using her address to be registered on the electoral roll. However I am reluctant to do that as it might compromise her single person council tax discount. Has anyone registered in similar circumstances without affecting a persons discount?

Regarding Council tax benefit, this was abolished a while ago by the government. Now it is up to individual councils to put their own procedures in place.
If they so want, then they can expect you to pay full council tax. Some councils have made arrangements, others havent.

Housing benefit is dependant on income, but is much easier to get if you are already getting something like JSA. Get sanctioned & your HB will stop. You then have to go to the HB & prove you have no income, to get it started again.

The sort of things you can be sanctioned for (apart from the obvious of not jumping throuigh their hoops) are things like going for a job interview.

Recently unemployment fell by 125,000 yet 789,000 have been sanctioned, these sanctioned people no longer count as unemployed, so in reality unemployment has gone up by 664,000

Edited by Ssscrudddy

I continually cruise and use my sisters address as my point of contact for mail and suchlike. However, I haven't been on an electoral roll since I sold my house in 2008. I did think about using her address to be registered on the electoral roll. However I am reluctant to do that as it might compromise her single person council tax discount. Has anyone registered in similar circumstances without affecting a persons discount?

Yes, I signed on, giving a friend's address. At the moment this marina is non residential, but have had a relaxed attitude to liveaboards. The friend's address was purely for the postal needs. It is an acceptable situation, to claim benefit. It did for a short while give my friend a headache with the council. I then had to write a letter to state the position of my non residence at the postal address and my friend's discount remained.

Your postal address determines the particular Jobcentre you will be signing on at and will be based in the local town or city Jobcentre of your postal address. If, like me, you actually live on a boat controlled by a different local authority, then, your claim for housing benefit will be through that local authorities office. If you're lucky, both postal and residential address' will be in the same local authority area.

Although it is acceptable to have a postal address and a different residential address, don't expect the system at the Jobcentre to see all this information on the same screen and together. They always ask you a few identity questions when you sign on. If they ask - "where do you live", for some reason, you give the postal address, because they cannot see you actually live in a different place to the postal. The system is stupid, so be prepared for some funny looks and constantly being in need of explaining what's what to them.

Their system allows for the two places, but for some idiotic reason, this is not displayed together on the same screen. The operators at the Jobcentres are treated like mushrooms. One other thing - you are expected to register on the direct.gov site. Although there is mention there of your advisor, etc, they actually have no input or take any active view of helping with job searchers and have no input. I asked them if they did and was told no. From the horse's mouth.

When registering at this direct.gov site, there are the usual compulsory fields to fill. One that gives a choice is wether to give them access to your site details. I ticked the no access box. They may say they need access to check your CV, so, just take a hard copy into your signing on centre.

They really should remove those jobcentreplus signs from their buildings. They are nothing more than bureaucratic mills.

Edited by Higgs

Recently unemployment fell by 125,000 yet 789,000 have been sanctioned, these sanctioned people no longer count as unemployed, so in reality unemployment has gone up by 664,000

Spot on. So next time the news reader says unemployment has gone down in a cheery voice..... This is why.... Complete con. Food banks are busy places.

By the way you can claim if you are a CC er for licence insurance and safety cert-and you can use the local council office as a care of address. Or and freinds you like. So long as you provide income and any fees.

Presumably, as you move around complying with your obligations as a CCer, you are continually changing the local council office address you have registered?

George ex nb Alton retired

Presumably, as you move around complying with your obligations as a CCer, you are continually changing the local council office address you have registered?

George ex nb Alton retired

No need to keep changing if you use c/o address or for that matter use public transport. Are you saying a CCer can not get benefits, I get all mine

well only get 1 benefit at present

No need to keep changing if you use c/o address or for that matter use public transport. Are you saying a CCer can not get benefits, I get all mine

well only get 1 benefit at present

Can't speak for how the bus pass system works, but I definitely couldn't get HB from the Local Authority that contained the postal address; HB was claimed through the local authority that the residential address was in.

Postal Address - City central. Residential - Southern Derbyshire.

Edited by Higgs

Can't speak for how the bus pass system works, but I definitely couldn't get HB from the Local Authority that contained the postal address; HB was claimed through the local authority that the residential address was in.

Postal Address - City central. Residential - Southern Derbyshire.

I was talking about winter fuel but bus pass easy for CCers all you need is an address ACC have done a lot of work on this for their members