Cassette Toilet.

mikejapope

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,

I know there are probably a hundred threads covering this topic so I apologise but there is just too much covering other toilets among these.

I live on a canal boat along the Regent's Canal and have a cassette toilet. I don't mind the emptying and the smell as I generally only have to do it every two weeks, but what is bugging me is the fact that my chin rests on my knees every time I sit down. I also dislike the fact that it isn't shaped like a normal toilet... but I can't have everything.

What I wanted to know from everyone's experience, is if there is indeed a cassette toilet that resembles a pumpout/armitage shanks type, or failing that, what is the best toilet to offer a sitting position similar to that of a normal household.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.

but what is bugging me is the fact that my chin rests on my knees every time I sit down. I also dislike the fact that it isn't shaped like a normal toilet... but I can't have everything.

What I wanted to know from everyone's experience, is if there is indeed a cassette toilet that resembles a pumpout/armitage shanks type, or failing that, what is the best toilet to offer a sitting position similar to that of a normal household.

Any feedback appreciated.

Place it on top of a couple of 'laid-flat' Thermalite Blocks, which you can surround with a timber 'skin' for aethetics

True. But it's from the previous owner and I've always said I'm going to replace it as it's a bit 'grubby'. So thought if I could get something a bit bigger, it'd be worth it. The Thetford is the kind I'd be after but maybe a bit pricey, maybe it's a case of a new one on blocks. If anyone has any other suggestions though, they'd be welcome.

True. But it's from the previous owner and I've always said I'm going to replace it as it's a bit 'grubby'. So thought if I could get something a bit bigger, it'd be worth it. The Thetford is the kind I'd be after but maybe a bit pricey, maybe it's a case of a new one on blocks. If anyone has any other suggestions though, they'd be welcome.

A manual flush version of the c200 is cheaper.

I think I'm an unknowingly economical person of average height. I was told I'd need to fill the water tank up every two weeks. It lasted me six. That's with washing up and showering every day (bar a couple of days a week I'm not there)... I'm quite new to this though, so I'm sure I'll come unstuck at some point.

As you are only emptying every two weeks or so, I assume that you have one with the larger tank like this

porta-potti-365-white-1019-p.jpg

Or is it the smaller tank like this?

$_35.JPG

If it is the smaller type, you could try and source a larger tank, although they are becoming difficult to find as they have been re-designed and even if you find one, spare tanks are almost as much as new complete toilets. Alternatively you could do what we have done, and mount the toilet on a wooden plinth which raises it to the same height as a normal domestic toilet.

If you are looking for a replacement, there are lots on eBay often hardly used. £25 to £45 seems to be the going rate.

I think I'm an unknowingly economical person of average height. I was told I'd need to fill the water tank up every two weeks. It lasted me six. That's with washing up and showering every day (bar a couple of days a week I'm not there)... I'm quite new to this though, so I'm sure I'll come unstuck at some point.

Resisting the temptation to write that if you're not showering that often, you're more likely to become stuck to some point than unstuck...biggrin.png ...

You are obviously very economical with water use. This could be because of the lack of female crew (sorry dear!) or because like a seasoned caravanner you adopt a WISE approach -- Wee In Somebody Else's!

As you are only emptying every two weeks or so, I assume that you have one with the larger tank like this

porta-potti-365-white-1019-p.jpg

Or is it the smaller tank like this?

$_35.JPG

If it is the smaller type, you could try and source a larger tank, although they are becoming difficult to find as they have been re-designed and even if you find one, spare tanks are almost as much as new complete toilets. Alternatively you could do what we have done, and mount the toilet on a wooden plinth which raises it to the same height as a normal domestic toilet.

If you are looking for a replacement, there are lots on eBay often hardly used. £25 to £45 seems to be the going rate.

I have the bigger one of these and I found that it was a bit too low down for me to sit comfortably on it. I built a 3 inch wooden plinth to stand it on. I have to say that the seat is not quite as wide as a standard domestic loo and if you have a fat arse as I have. well you can imagine. I am only of average height, 5ft 9 ish.

Pete

Ah, I have a porta in that case. As in I remove the top and lug the heavy, smelly waste to the facilities at the lock. I was told it was a cassette. Pardon me.

Not a problem - it was just that options for the two types would be very different - it sounds like a couple of breeze blocks with a nice 'skirt' around them may do the job.

Ah, I have a porta in that case. As in I remove the top and lug the heavy, smelly waste to the facilities at the lock. I was told it was a cassette. Pardon me.

Ah right - well I would say on average the free standing porta potti type are indeed lower than an installed cassette type.

Your cheapest solution would be to raise it somehow as has been suggested. (bearing in mind what ever you raise it on will need to contend with both your weight and the weight of the contents, which will be fairly substantial particularly when the loo is full.

Some of the newer Porta Potti's do seem a bit higher than yours though-

eg

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/PortaPottiCurve/tabid/886/Default.aspx

Apparently it is said that to have yours knees above your 'outlet' helps with the 'movement'.

Martyn

There actually is some basis to that.

You are in fact correct - whichever type of loo you have, the container section is known as a cassette.

Heavy it should indeed be, but if it's smelly then you have a leak somewhere - the cassette should not emit aromas until you open it.

You are in fact correct - whichever type of loo you have, the container section is known as a cassette.

Heavy it should indeed be, but if it's smelly then you have a leak somewhere - the cassette should not emit aromas until you open it.

I think that is incorrect. Drawing on my caravanning days.

The name 'cassette' comes from the fact it is a sealed unit that is inserted into the toilet akin to the way a cassette tape slots into a cassette player. The word 'cassette' is normally referred to when describing this type of toilet.

The bottom tank of a porta potti type is normally just referred to as the 'bottom' or 'holding' tank. To use the term cassette for one of those is not correct.

Edited by The Dog House

Some years ago Lee Sanitation demonstrated a toilet they had built which comprised a sort of plastic box with a ceramic dump-through toilet pan on the top, and with a porta potty type cassette in the box below.

At the time I thought it represented quite a good compromise between pump out and cassette. But I don't know that it ever went into production.

This is indeed true Mike. We use our now and then and the seal is not as good as it ought to be. That's the important sliding one. It needs updating.

How easy is it to replace the all important sliding seal on the trap door of the bottom/lower tank?

Thankfully we not at the point of desperation. We have a pump out!! Also, years ago we had a posh plastic bucket with a seat on top that had a lid on it. How things have cone on eh?

Edited as I posted too soon.

Before I was finished is probably more appropriate.

Edited by Nightwatch

You say. On our previous two boats we had the free-standing type of loo and we always called the bottom bit the cassette. We used this nomenclature because we had heard other people use it. So you may be right, and so may we. If we are incorrect we are but two of many!

This is indeed true Mike. We use our now and then and the seal is not as good as it ought to be. That's the important sliding one. It needs updating.

How easy is it to replace the all important sliding seal on the trap door of the bottom/lower tank?

Thankfully we not at the point of desperation. We have a pump out!! Also, years ago we had a posh plastic bucket with a seat on top that had a lid on it. How things have cone on eh?

Edited as I posted too soon.

Before I was finished is probably more appropriate.

Dead easy Martin, I have just replaced one, It took less than five minutes, and only needs a pair of long nosed plyers (and some tissue to clean out the housing !!) to do the job. But hurry up and get a spare (or two) now as Thetford have discontinued the older type of Porta Potti and are apparently when the spares run out that will be it.

I have just stocked up with enough slide and vent seals to see me out, cheapest source is ABC Leisure (Alvechurch Boats)