There and back again, to see how far it is.

junior

Featured Posts

Me and the wifey walked up Anderton last week as her parents live there and I did look out for the boat. As you say the area is nice and it's a place where we maybe moving to in the future. Ps go in the Stanley arms (the tip to locals) a lovely pub with good food and ale.

Darren

Watch "Late for the Anderton Lift" on YouTube

Late for the Anderton Lift:

Rushing to get to the boat lift for my allotted time!!

Of it seems I've made it private. Does anyone know how I change it using the smartphone app?

Edit: Sorted.

Edited by junior

• 4 weeks later...

Albion is back on 'home' ground. I'm almost at Bedford Basin, having set off at the end of February.

Here is a photo of Albion being loaded with coal on the Bridgewater Canal 30+ years ago.

Albion%20loading%20at%20Broadheath%20198

And here she is passing the same place today.

20141009_103617_zpsqcio2i65.jpg

This afternoon I finally reached the end of my 'summer cruise' from London to Manchester. Well I suppose technically I'm only halfway as I'd originally planned to get here in the summer and back to London for the winter, but it hasn't quite worked out like that. I've enjoyed exploring along the way and have taken in the BCN Challenge, Foxton Locks festival and the Braunston Rally.

This afternoon I made the short journey from Castlefield Basin to Bedford Basin, the place where my boat was built 35 years ago. It's great to have finally got here and have just had an enjoyable chat with Paul Lorenz, one of the brothers involved in the building of ALBION. It was great to meet him and hear all about the building of my boat, the history of this wonderful little boat yard and interesting to hear him talk about some of the boats they've had here in the past that are now owned by other forum members I think. Banstead, Hampton and a few others. It's a shame I can't spend more time here exploring, but commuting to France for work from this far north is becoming a pain so I'll be heading south again soon, hopefully a bit quicker than I got here.

20141012_161755_zpsbcf8k0iy.jpg

20141012_161835_zps2tcym6yh.jpg

(Arriving at Bedford Basin this afternoon)

ALBION's original owner will be having a few days on the boat this week moving her south, then I'll be taking up the reigns and will have 6 days to get from Middlewich to Atherstone to beat the planned stoppage

Sadly, I have made the decision to put ALBION up for sale. This is not a decision taken lightly as I love this unique boat and I've loved every minute of boating her. But I've got the historic boat bug and need the funds from the sale of ALBION to fun a new exciting project. I will probably put her on Brokerage somewhere in Northamptonshire when I get down that way in the next 6 weeks or so, but in the meantime I will still be living aboard, cruising and doing a few little jobs on her in preparation for sale. She is however officially up for sale from this point onwards and if anyone would like her at a slightly cheaper price than what I will want once the little jobs are completed, then I'm open to offers and can be ready to move out straight away. I'll be sorting a proper advert out in the next few days and once I've spoken to the broker that I hope to sell through I will publicise the price I'm looking for. In the meantime if somebody wants a 50ft tug with a vintage engine in it's own engine room and with a trad backcabin, then look no further :-)

I'll add some photos from the whole cruise shortly.

Edited by junior