Slow Cooked Beef Shin

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Add a chopped onion, mushrooms, carrots, diced beef shin and some beef stock to an oven proof dish. Cook in the oven at 140 degrees for three hours.

I usually make this the night before, store in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave.

Tonight I served this with Yorkshire pudding and mashed root vegetables (sweet potato, swede, parsnip and potato)

F9ACD856-26E1-4668-BF04-A58E15E2B571.jpg

• Greenie 1

I'd raise a fork to that! Thank's

Some green peas on the lower left hand quarter to pimp it up?

You can pretty much serve with any veg you have to hand.

Thought we had some green beans but alas the fridge said otherwise!

Will just say that it was seasoned with Hendersons relish and plenty of cracked black pepper.

I notice of of the control knobs appears to be missing from your hob.

:D

MtB

P.S. How do you make the yorkshire puddings come out so well?!

All knobs on the hob are present and correct thank you!

Yorkshire puddings need scalding hot fat, the right mixture of egg flour and milk, plenty of practise and a good helping of good luck!

I always add some kidney for flavour. Our local butcher whose good had a special 5lbs of shin for £12 last week.

Hmm didn't have any kidney.

Was using up some of what meat is left in the freezer before the next delivery arrives!

Think we might need a bigger freezer!

Add a chopped onion, mushrooms, carrots, diced beef shin and some beef stock to an oven proof dish. Cook in the oven at 140 degrees for three hours.

I usually make this the night before, store in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave.

Tonight I served this with Yorkshire pudding and mashed root vegetables (sweet potato, swede, parsnip and potato)

F9ACD856-26E1-4668-BF04-A58E15E2B571.jpg

Even better Rachel, is to cook it for 12 mins at high in a pressure cooker.

Or try Ox cheek. Cheaper and a bit more tasty than shin.

But I know a pressure cooker might be a bit old fashioned for a youngster like you!

Ox cheek is great. If you're a cheapskate like me and out at work a lot, then you can make a really good slow cooked stew in a Wonderbag. Safe to leave unattended as it cooks with the residual heat in the pan. I leave mine anything from 3 hours to 10 hours and end up with a still hot yummy dinner. It's my winter thing that I do. :)

Hungry now. :P

http://nb-wonderbag.com/

Either that, or a Tesco nearby.

I find frozen yorkshire puddings surprisingly good! :)

MtB

Being a Yorkshire lass through and through I wouldn't be seen dead serving pre made or frozen puddings.

Would probably be lynched for serving them as well!

Being a Yorkshire lass through and through I wouldn't be seen dead serving pre made or frozen puddings.

Would probably be lynched for serving them as well!

Yup. Same here. My Yorkshire mother would not be impressed if I used Aunt Bessies type stuff.

Anyway, whats difficult?

That's my kind of cooking. Good with a slosh of beer in it, to lift the gravy (nothing too bitter). Bung it in the bottom of the Aga then go to the pub for a couple of hours or so.

Indeed. Also good in the slow cooker. Stick it on in the morning and when you moor up after a long days cruising you have a nice hot meal awaiting.

Yup. Same here. My Yorkshire mother would not be impressed if I used Aunt Bessies type stuff.

Anyway, whats difficult?

'Predictability' is my difficulty. Sometimes they come out brilliantly, other times rubbish.

I find opening the freezer far simpler and more reliable!

MtB

Oh, and actually having all the ingrediments in stock when the need to have them arises unexpectedly! An egg especially.

And another thing too ...why do so many people miss the letter 'm' out of the word 'ingrediments'?

• 3 weeks later...