1st Night - a night to remember

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

lol, at least you are there. I don't think I would have chosen so late a time to move but just remembering when we stepped onboard for first time it was 5.30pm, absolutely hammering down, no kettle or teas etc so understand what fun you had. You can start to enjoy now ;)

I thought our move onto our boat was a hassle, but it was nothing compared to yours. It's good that you're settling in but be prepared for it taking a fair time yet before you full settle in, and that includes probably doing much re-arranging of different cupboards when you keep changing your mind about what goes where. We were still doing this for months after moving aboard.

The contents of the box that went overboard? Well if it was just the cat litter as Alan has suggested then it could have been worse.

Edited by comfortably numb

Sadly, I "think" the contents of the overboard box was all my photo albums; either that or a box of odds & sods kitchen bits & bobs. Of the 4 boxes still left to unpack, which are buried in the spare bedroom there is one that is either the photos or the kitchen bits; but I think it is too small to be the photo's. Dave felt really bad when I told him I think it was my photos that were lost, as those are the one thing we own which can't be replaced; but looking at it rationally, how often does anyone actually dig out their photo albums to look through? The really important ones I can picture in my minds eye and can treasure them in my memory, just can't share them with anyone else.

At the end of the day, Dave, myself and the cats are safe, dry, warm and happy - can't really ask for more than that in this life. I'll simply buy some new albums and fill them up with pics of our new life smile.png

LOL - besides, storage space is at a premium; even on a Wide Beam smile.png

A great tale Bettie. Does any move House or Boat ever go smooth? I know none of mine have in the past.

I was a bit worried about the title of the thread "A Night to Remember" as this was the name of the original Titanic film boat.gif

Good luck to your new life

P&H

(A greenie for you as well)

Edited by Pete & Helen

It's nice the way a warm fire makes everything all better. I hope your back is on the mend. Spring is on the way , a nice time to be making a new album and a new lifestyle to boot. Best wishes and Good luck in your new home.

Edited by harve90

Thank you very much for writing your story, it's shows that it's really hard to plan timing if you have to rely on others that don't show up at the right time.

Moving stuff in the dark, is never very practical, too bad for the photos but, there's more to life than photos, and as you say, you can by new albums and start them with happy photos of your new life.

I wish you success and nothing but happiness on your boat, and no more back pain.

ATB, Peter.

Surely the missing box can just be fished out. The water is rarely more than two feet deep in marinas....

Mtb

LOL well I'll get Dave to give it a try once we get him some hip waders, but alas, if it was indeed the photo's they would have been ruined within a couple of minutes of going under. Still don't want to leave the contents sitting on the bottom incase there's anything in it that could foul someone's prop

LOL well I'll get Dave to give it a try once we get him some hip waders, but alas, if it was indeed the photo's they would have been ruined within a couple of minutes of going under. Still don't want to leave the contents sitting on the bottom incase there's anything in it that could foul someone's prop

Photographic prints should survive a dunking. They have aleady been processed in wet chemicals, washed in warm water and air-dried.

Do not let them dry out or they will stick to the album pages. Remove them from the album whilst still wet, rinse in a bowl of tepid water with a little wetting agent added. Air dry clipped to strings.

Google drying out photographs for more info.

Photographic prints should survive a dunking. They have aleady been processed in wet chemicals, washed in warm water and air-dried.

Do not let them dry out or they will stick to the album pages. Remove them from the album whilst still wet, rinse in a bowl of tepid water with a little wetting agent added. Air dry clipped to strings.

Google drying out photographs for more info.

Seconded. They'll be fine if you can find and recover them. So will the negatives dried in the same way.

Biggest risk is losing half of them if/when the box and the albums fall to bits on lifting from the water. Best to lift it out using a large net assuming you locate the box.

Don't forget to take and post photos of Dave getting the box out!

MtB

Seconded. They'll be fine if you can find and recover them. So will the negatives dried in the same way.

Biggest risk is losing half of them if/when the box and the albums fall to bits on lifting from the water. Best to lift it out using a large net assuming you locate the box.

Don't forget to take and post photos of Dave getting the box out!

MtB

LOL - sorry to disappoint, but there will be no photos of Dave fishing out the box. He has unburied the mystery box from the spare room and guess what was in it? Yup, it contains my photo albums.....YIPEE, so the lost box was bits and bobs from the kitchen, baking tins, measuring cup, mixing bowls and such; all of which can easily be replaced clapping.gif

And the sun is shining, what more could anyone ask for boat.gif

Oh and btw - I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere about the strange noises one encounters living on a canal boat. Dave and I were sitting reading yesterday during one of the rainy periods and all of a sudden we heard a thump, thump, thump, quickly followed by a sound that sounded like water bubbling into the hull, Dave thought it sounded like a mini tug trying to shove the boat, as the boat did actually move a wee bit. We both jumped up to investigate, only to discover our local Mute Swan frantically paddling up against the boat to try and raise itself up high enough to see in the dining window and gain our attention to get it's daily treats.

http://rs1020.pbsrc.com/albums/af325/Bettie-Boo/photo_zps1df3eec4.jpg~320x480?t=1393421539

any other odd sounds we should be aware of? huh.png

Edited by Bettie Boo

The sound of said swans and their duck comrades trying to eat your waterline - or rather the weed which grows along it.

The unexplained nocturnal "globalobalob" of your water pump.

The startlingly loud metallic rolling sound which reminds you that you left the old food tin which covers the stove chimney on the roof when you meant to bring it inside.

Edited by Athy