Where "Not To Miss" On THe BCN?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

We often have trouble on Ryder's Green

Richard

Below Ryders Green locks is one of the dirtiest places on the BCN I would say, not really had any problem up the flight though.

We did the Walsall, canal and locks, 3 times last year, and I don't think the canal is that bad, much better since it was dredged, but there was a lot of stuff in the locks which are slow hard work.

We are moored outside the NIA after a bit of a difficult day. I have lost count of the times we have been down the weed hatch but it has been at least 9.

We limped the last couple of miles as we have gearbox issues again. We are waiting for RCR to ( hopefully) confirm it has thrown yet another oil seal and fix it for us. One day we might actually go away without having gearbox issues but I might miss them if we didn't get them any more

Glad you made it in one piece. Where are yuou heading to next?

The Walsall canal needs careful handling. You won't make 4mph, lower engine revs is safer and learn to knock the power off for bridge holes.

Not a lot you can do about Ryders Green.

Richard

We are currently tied up in Hawne Basin. We had planned to overnight here but as we have made excellent time and rather liked Windmill End as we came Through we may head on back up there for the night as tomorrow is a much longer day down to Stourbridge. We took the chimney down for Gosty Tunnel but flattened the TV aerial under the entry bridge to Hawne Basin. Bit more gaffer tape needed!

I am glad you are enjoying it Junior. I came close to not bothering posting any more as I didn't think anyone was interested in my drivel!

When I get a better signal and some time I will share a few more pics.

Lovely pics and stories. I was driving down the A5 towards Cannock from Shenstone yesterday morning (8.30ish)and there were 3 deer on a bit of wasteland near the M6 Toll.

Its amazing how things are so different by boat- I see the signs for Pelsall and Rushall canal etc but haven't taken the boat down there yet- and must do, so appreciate the updates and tips

Well we are moored in Walsall Town Basin tonight. A couple of community enforcement officer (parking wardens) advised us that it is a quiet night in the pub tonight (student nights are Monday and Thursday) and there is CCTV covering all this area so we will be fine here over night.

I'm a bit behind and just catching up with this. Wish I'd read it earlier, as I'd have got you to go and have a look in the reception of the Premier Inn at the basin because one of my photos covers a whole wall! The hotel wasn't there on the one occasion we went to Walsall. We had a pretty quiet night -- the pub appeared to be hosting ballroom dancing lessons.

I spent many years living in Tamworth and regularly working in and around Cannock, Chase Terrace and Brownhills. I used to drive along the A5 several times a week long before the M6 Toll was even thought of. Admittedly back in those early days I don't think the canals were signposted but they have been for many years and yet I still never had a clue that the line of the Anglesea Arm actually runs almost parallell with The A5 at a point when I must have spent many hours over the years waiting for red lights to change green and yet never thought to just look up the hill to see if I could see a boat!

Anglesey Basin on a frosty morning:

10001433_10152258898854070_463754275_n.j

Those lamp standards you can see in this photo are on The Toll Road ... and yes there is a significant amount of traffic noise if the wind is in the wrong direction!

Walsall Basin:

10006641_10152258898849070_327414363_n.j

The Tame Valley Canal:

1618444_10152258897859070_208354271_n.jp

I haven't had a look at what I have taken yet today so there may be more later

Ohhhh! We can so close to missing Ma Pardoes!!!

The good people of the Facebook group called "love the BCN" Suggested it and off we popped last night. What an amazing place. The beer is brewed on the premises and I can thoroughly recommend the "Bumblehole" we already had a meal planned so we did not eat there but reports are that the food is great. The bar has a fantastic enamel ceiling. All the locals were really friendly too. We had a wonderful night last night and met 2 people from the FB group there. Earlier on as we tied up at Windmill end there was a greeting awaiting us from the local vicar who is also a member of the group and came to say hello.
26 locks to do today and I am told the Delph is all against us and every bottom gate has been left open... deep joy :-(

Edited by cheshire~rose

We are currently tied up in Hawne Basin. We had planned to overnight here but as we have made excellent time and rather liked Windmill End as we came Through we may head on back up there for the night as tomorrow is a much longer day down to Stourbridge. We took the chimney down for Gosty Tunnel but flattened the TV aerial under the entry bridge to Hawne Basin. Bit more gaffer tape needed!

I am glad you are enjoying it Junior. I came close to not bothering posting any more as I didn't think anyone was interested in my drivel!

When I get a better signal and some time I will share a few more pics.

No don't stop posting! I've not had anything to add so haven't posted but I am enjoying following your travels. I love the owl picture but actually the robin is superb, it's easy to take common birds for granted.

I agree with your comments about knowing an area by roadthen finding there's an idyllic spot on the canal nearby. Spaghetti junction is my favourite, possibly not actually idyllic but we have seen a kingfisher there.

There's a lot of locks today but delph are superb locks and I don't remember them being difficult or stourbridge.

Keep posting!

I had a few days earlier this week visiting Halesowen for work, and took the time to visit the Hawne End basin. I had a chat with a very friendly moorer - once I had worked out how to get there by car.

The Delph locks did indeed look in good order on Tuesday morning. Enjoy the views...

No don't stop posting! I've not had anything to add so haven't posted but I am enjoying following your travels. I love the owl picture but actually the robin is superb, it's easy to take common birds for granted.

I have been making a list of all the birds we have seen while on The BCN. I am up to 39 so far. Many of them are quite common birds but the other day when we were plodding through the rubbish in The Walsall Canal and we had one of those heavy showers there was a charm of goldfinches flitting through the trees by the canal. Just what iwas needed to brighten the scene.

So far on my list I have:

Robin, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Wood Pigeon, Grey Wagtail, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Crow, Dunnock, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Canada Goose, Rook, Collared Dove, Starling, Wren, Magpie, Kestrel, Long Tailed Tit, House Sparrow, Common Gull, Little Grebe, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Buzzard, Black Headed Gull, Pheasant, Stonechat, Lapwing, Goldfinch, Great Crested Grebe, Sand Martin, Pied Wagtail, Little Owl, Fieldfare, Song Thrush and Herring gull.

No Kingfisher (yet!)

A first for me was seeing 14 magpies all in one flock. I have seen 11 before but never 14. I counted them twice to make sure!

I have to agree, I've been reading this and looking at the pictures too. I think most people would treat this as largely your thread, and it is mainly for reading, and not commenting, unless one had something specific to say.

I particularly like the misty photo of Anglesey Basin.

I think that we all have mental maps of the world in our heads, how to get from A to B, etc. I became aware that I have a 'canal map' and a 'road map' (probably walk and bicycle too). When thinking about how to get to a fairly local pub I could work out how to get there easily by boat, but not by road - a pity as I was driving. The two mental maps intersect at various points, but other than that I have little idea about how to get from one to the other.

One of those things I ponder on:

1017738_10152263360049070_2018371028_n.j

Nicholsons says it is Gosty Tunnel.

Gosty? Gorsty?

I am told the road over the top is Gorsty Hill

There are also pictures of the tunnel from the past where the sigs show "Costy", just to confuse the issue even further!

Edited by alan_fincher

I have been making a list of all the birds we have seen while on The BCN. I am up to 39 so far. Many of them are quite common birds but the other day when we were plodding through the rubbish in The Walsall Canal and we had one of those heavy showers there was a charm of goldfinches flitting through the trees by the canal. Just what iwas needed to brighten the scene.

So far on my list I have:

Robin, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Wood Pigeon, Grey Wagtail, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Crow, Dunnock, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Canada Goose, Rook, Collared Dove, Starling, Wren, Magpie, Kestrel, Long Tailed Tit, House Sparrow, Common Gull, Little Grebe, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Buzzard, Black Headed Gull, Pheasant, Stonechat, Lapwing, Goldfinch, Great Crested Grebe, Sand Martin, Pied Wagtail, Little Owl, Fieldfare, Song Thrush and Herring gull.

No Kingfisher (yet!)

A first for me was seeing 14 magpies all in one flock. I have seen 11 before but never 14. I counted them twice to make sure!

Wow! Impressive list. Particularly surprised to see stonechat-whereabouts did you see that? Who would believe they are on the bcn?

The stonechat was in a bush by The Cannock Extension. I had high hopes of seeing a few interesting things there but I think as the weather went suddenly cold most birds were hunkering down. Today we added jay to the list. I saw what may have been a mistle thrush too but I am reluctant to include it because the glimpse I got was not good enough to be certain it was not a song thrush

I was surprised at the sand martins. I thought it was a bit early for them. The sandy soil around Chasewater probably makes a good habitat for them

The stonechat was in a bush by The Cannock Extension. I had high hopes of seeing a few interesting things there but I think as the weather went suddenly cold most birds were hunkering down. Today we added jay to the list. I saw what may have been a mistle thrush too but I am reluctant to include it because the glimpse I got was not good enough to be certain it was not a song thrush

I was surprised at the sand martins. I thought it was a bit early for them. The sandy soil around Chasewater probably makes a good habitat for them

We saw sand martins at Holme lock on Trent on 21st march. We thought that was early but it is mild. We've seen them nesting there in previous years, they look like mosquitoes flitting in and out.

Yesterday was very hard work! The Delph, as we had been told, was not only all against us but also every single bottom gate was open. This set the theme for the day and when we got to The Stourbrige flight there were a very significant number of bottom gates open there as well. Some of those on The Stourbridge Flight would have blown open, I know because I had to crack a paddle to get them to stay shut. The ones on The Delph however all stayed closed without a problem after we left them. ... so... did someone go through and leave them all open or, as someone has suggested to me, a lock keeper has opened all those gates to let water down. It seems like a lot of work when they can just open paddles but I am interested to know if that is what they do at The Delph?

We tied up last night just beyond the junction of the Stourbridge Arm. It is so rural there. We had officially left The BCN behind us. We have thoroughly enjoyed exploring. We have seen hardy any boats on the move at all, I appreciate it is still very early in the season for boats to be moving but people really need to get their plans together and go and explore like we have. It is a huge shame that such fascinating canals are not being used. Before anyone mentions bandit country - it only exists in the minds of those who like to perpetuate the myth. The myth must have been started by people who love The BCN so much they want to keep it to themselves!

Today we passed through a lock on The S&W and I told the chap where we had been. He mentioned that there is a hotel in birmingham that has private moorings you can book and pay for in advance (I have no idea where he means?) He said he was considering booking so he could take his boat into central Birmingham. I told him not to waste his money! The scariest thing we saw all week was two youths carrying a gun case. The walked down from a bridge and went ahead of us through the bridgehole. We were both waiting for them to appear on the towpath the other side. They did not and although neither of us said anything I think we both thought they were lying in ambush behind the bridge. They were behind the bridge, As we came through the bridge hole they were sitting on a bench the other side. Gun case on the floor. They smiled, waved and said a cheery hello. Perhaps they were after a pigeon (or a duck?) for the pot?

As much as I loved the BCN we are really pleased to be back on The S&W which feels like "home" for us, at least for just a little longer anyway. We are so familir with all the locks. At least I thought we were. Dave suggested it was time he worked a few paddles and let me take the tiller. Except he forgot how prone some of the locks on the S&W are to vent quite spectacularly when you open the ground paddles......... I didn't forget to pick up the camera!

10151305_10152266322539070_921134012_n.j

did someone go through and leave them all open or, as someone has suggested to me, a lock keeper has opened all those gates to let water down.

They wouldn't do that. They would run water through the top lock and let it go over the overflows on each pound. That's how they filled Farmer's Bridge last time we came up

Richard