Silicone bathroom sealant and other dark arts

Featured Posts

Area to seal must be clean but most of all dry. The trick I use is use a plant sprayer to wet the silicone before smoothing over lightly with finger. Or you could fill the ares to be sealed with silicone and then press a length of pvc quadrant into the silicone, sealant that spreads from behind the quadrant can be sprayed with water and removed with a scraper

My question is: how do you keep the silicone mould free when next to the metal frame and I can't use bleach to nuke it for fear of ruining the metal?

Clove oil..it's an old gypsy ( am I allowed to use that..?) trick for caravans..and old boaty types..

My Grandfather/ great grandfather were working Thames boat captains..and off course..there were no fancy chemical cleaners in those days..and so I "inherited the wisdom"...as they used it on their boats..

Its one of the few things that will kill all mould spores...even bleach doesn't do that.

We would reuse a spray bottle from a preparatory cleaner...as the ones from the pound shops tend to end up with the spring going rusty and producing rusty water...

The clove oil IS an oil...in a little bottle from

the chemist..

As its an oil..you need to disperse it...so you half fill your spray bottle with warm..slightly soapy water..and then tip a few drops of the clove oil into it...then shake about...

Before leaving our (sometimes damp) boat for 6 months we would spray everything.....roof..walls..curtains..bedding...shower area ...

It smelt like "Mom's apple pie"...which we like...

6 months later..not a spot of mould..

Edited by Bobbybass
  • Greenie 2

I really hoped there was just some simple technique or hack that I was missing that would make it all simple, but I will persevere!

There is.

Cut the nozzle square ( have a look at the way window fitters do it), not at an angle, and slightly wider than the widest part of the gap. Put sufficient pressure just to expel sufficient silicon to lay down at the speed your are running the nozzle along the joint and with the gun at right angles to the run. If you are building up a bow wave of silicon use either more speed or less pressure. Finish by pulling the nozzle away quickly and at an angle to the run and quickly release the pressure in the gun.

Now the secret bit.

Hhave a small spray bottle containing water with a squirt of washing up liquid. Spray the silicon and run your finger along firmly. Your finger will be soapy and the excess silicon will come away without sticking to it. You will possibly be told not to use the soapy water as it will affect the seal. I have been doing this for quite a few years and have never had a problem.

It does take practice.

Masking tape either side of the joint run is a good idea so long as you get it in the right place, better still, PVC insulting tape. Apart from that, I use the wet finger approach as fingertips are brilliant universal application tools (better than any plastic gizmo I've ever come across).

That's how I do it as well. I have found that some of the cheaper sealants don't stick too well, especially to the aluminium frame of the shower enclosure. I wouldn't use a water based one for anything.

Another vote for Dow Corning 785.

Edited by pearley

Clove oil - never heard of that one, but will deff. give it a go, not only on the boat but at home as well. Particularly as I've just spent the w/e cleaning up the shower tray and re-installing silicone (yes, Dow Corning 785 bacteria resist) and sorry Starry, no problems getting it to go where it should and not where it shouldn't.

'Plumbers gold' is another one, not a silicone but a polymer sealant with 10yr anti mould g'tee.

As for the removing the old stuff, I usually cut it almost all of it out with a sharp blade, and use some silicone eater on the remaining smidgen which then scrapes off easily, helps to have a decent worklight or led torch for illumination.

The new stuff must be applied to a a totally clean and grease free surface, hence the above steps.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Clove oil - never heard of that one, but will deff. give it a go, not only on the boat but at home as well. Particularly as I've just spent the w/e cleaning up the shower tray and re-installing silicone (yes, Dow Corning 785 bacteria resist) and sorry Starry, no problems getting it to go where it should and not where it shouldn't.

I'm going to give this one a go too.

Thanks Bobbybass

Shall I just come down and do it for you Starry?

Yes please. biggrin.png I will be interested to watch someone who can do it properly to see how it is done.

What stuff would you like me to get to do it with? There have been lots of different suggestions!

Edited by Starcoaster

Yes please. :D I will be interested to watch someone who can do it properly to see how it is done.

What stuff would you like me to get to do it with? There have been lots of different suggestions!

Don't worry, I will bring some with me.

Not sure what day, I will pm you.

Simon