How tricky to convert pump out toilet to cassette please?

Sas

Featured Posts

On my quest for the holy grail which is a live aboard widebeam, I have just made arrangements to view a boat with a pump out loo ( that's all I know).

I have set my heart on a cassette toilet after absorbing the wisdom of forum gurus and after several smelly narrowboat holidays!!

Does anyone know if this change from PO to cassette would be tricky / costly please?

Thanks in anticipation?

Hi. Good choice. (chuckling)

1. Remove old toilet.

2. Rip out old piping.

3. Rip out old waste tank.

BIG STINKY JOB.

NEED SPACE TO REMOVE EVERYTHING.

4. Once all removed, buy casette toilet. Some have a water connection for flush water. These normally require a 12V connection, and water line connection. The simpler ones dont.

DONE.

Thanks guys but this boat is going to cost shedloads of cash so I ll probably end up paying someone to do it professionally.....no DIY ....

Will it cost mega money? Any ideas please?

Thanks guys but this boat is going to cost shedloads of cash so I ll probably end up paying someone to do it professionally.....no DIY ....

Will it cost mega money? Any ideas please?

Ours was a plastic tank and a macerator toilet. The tank was not integrated in anyway with the steel of the boat, it merely sat on the floor under the double bed and was connected to the loo by flexible piping.

Total cost was £900 and that included the Thetford C250 toilet. An additional cassette cost me around £100 from memory. The Rinse and emptying points on our gunwale were left in place and just left with the caps in them. The work was done by a reputable company (Aqua Narrow boats at Mercia Marina in Derby) to a very high standard in the first winter we had the boat which was Nov 2010.

They disposed of the tank for me (thank goodness!!) and I kept the loo with the intention of selling it or giving it away but in the end I just disposed of it.

Removing a poo tank integrated with the steel of the boat will likely cost more or it may not be removable at all and may as has been suggested above just need capping off.

Edited by The Dog House

Sound advice thanks Martin. I guess I ll have more of an idea after viewing. It's the prospect of laying out yet more cash on an already expensive purchase that's worrying me!

I have posted this before but his was the end result, we were happy and we too would not have contemplated DIY as the rest of the wood work inside the boat is so well done it would have been a shame to 'botch it' this being the likely outcome in my case.

JZqZ6eF.jpg

I would think it through if I was you. Pump out toilet is superior to cassette in ever aspect. It needs to be installed properly though, if it is, it won't smell. Also you are saying that you're going to pay a lot for your boat, changing your toilet will decrease value right away, as cost of installing decent pump out is £2k+,cassette £300-£400. It's your decision in the end though.

I would think it through if I was you. Pump out toilet is superior to cassette in ever aspect. It needs to be installed properly though, if it is, it won't smell. Also you are saying that you're going to pay a lot for your boat, changing your toilet will decrease value right away, as cost of installing decent pump out is £2k+,cassette £300-£400. It's your decision in the end though.

Well there are some very bold statements in there for sure.

I'm afraid you cannot determine what system is superior to another, that is patent nonsense.

People use the system that suits them and importantly where they do most of their boating.

Where is your evidence it devalues a boat BTW.

Well there are some very bold statements in there for sure.

I'm afraid you cannot determine what system is superior to another, that is patent nonsense.

People use the system that suits them and importantly where they do most of their boating.

Where is your evidence it devalues a boat BTW.

It's just my opinion (and many boat builder's) based on experience with both systems. As I said though, it's Sas's boat and obviously she needs to have whatever works better for her.

It's just my opinion (and many boat builder's) based on experience with both systems. As I said though, it's Sas's boat and obviously she needs to have whatever works better for her.

Which makes it a 'superior' system to her.

There is no overall better system.

At least with a pump out you don't have to carry a poo suitcase through the boat, past the bed or galley, two or three times a week, and you don't have to plan your stops around elsan disposal facilities.

A well installed macerator system, plastic holding tank and a self pump out option does it for me everytime.

• Greenie 1

A well installed macerator system, plastic holding tank and a self pump out option does it for me everytime.

Is this the usual pump out system I am used to or some new jiggery Pokery please?

Is this the usual pump out system I am used to or some new jiggery Pokery please?

New system -- ours was installed 2/3 years ago on a boat that previously had a bucket job, and works very well indeed. You have the option of having a commercial pumpout or a self-operated one, and there is always a third option in emergency of self-pumping into a 20li container (old diesel drum). The basic system is by Vetus and has an 'eco flush' which minimises the amount of water used. I wish the loos in the house were as straightforward!

At least with a pump out you don't have to carry a poo suitcase through the boat, past the bed or galley, two or three times a week, and you don't have to plan your stops around elsan disposal facilities.

Totaly agree. The ones that smell are normaly dodgly installed & people also don't know how to use them properly.

• Greenie 1