SureCal Calorifiers

cereal tiller

Featured Posts

Got one of them, had a different one in the previous boat. It keeps the water hot for a long time comparing to the other one (not sure what was the make of the old one though). The heating switches itself off around 7 am and water is still hot for the shower at 11 pm. On the other hand, I had it installed new and it was leaking on the immersion heater seal from the very start, had to change it myself as the boat builder couldn't be bothered to do it. It was suppose to be tested too.

I fitted one some 6,7,8 years ago after the original one from Stone got an attack of the copper-worm. Better design and built with thicker copper (3Bar instead of 2).

The newer versions have a sensible layout of pipes with their universal fitting (Mines just lost its immersion heater / thermostat and I've got to take the whole blurry thing out of the airing cupboard to change it.

I'm sure those nice Mr. Edwards' will be accommodating......

(ps: still got a spare engine....)

We went for a cheaper calorifier and wish we hadn't I ended up refurbishing the unit we bought and super insulated it with spray foam. Had we bought a Sur Cal type in the first place it would have saved us money and lots of time removing and replacing the repairing/upgrading the unit.

A good calorifier will be a good investment, after you basically fill it for years on end with hot water produced by the engine heat which is basically free.

I think I'm right in saying Surcal claim that their calorifiers lose no more than 1 deg c an hour.

Phil

I can well believe it.

Since applying an extra 30mm of insulation to ours, hot water is now still hot enough for a comfortable shower after 12 hours of being heated. The cheaper light Blue coloured foamed cylindar we bought only had around an inch of insulation on it initially, not really enough for efficient storage of hot water. We live and learn smile.png

As mentioned before, one of the best bits of kit we've ever bought is our Surecal 55 litre calorifier, and well worth the money. However, check the following with Surecal before buying:

I bought our calorifier about 4 years ago and at that time (I discovered) they were supplied with a 2 BAR (about 30PSI) pressure relief valve as standard. We had upgraded our water pump some months prior to a 40PSI Johnson so the PRV on the calorifier blew out continuously making it unusable. When I contacted Surecal they seemed nonplussed that I should own a pump with such a high operating pressure! They did agree to swap the PRV for a 3 BAR unit - but wouldn't despatch it before I returned the old unit. This was clearly NOT very convenient for me but maybe understandable given current Scrote levels.

Apart from this little hiccup I was really impressed with the quality of the product and heartily recommend the company.

Just make sure that you know the operating pressure of your pump and speak to someone at Surecal (Matt Battle was very helpful) to confirm that the correct PRV is fitted the the calorifier you're ordering.

If you want to read about our calorifier installation (with a picture) you'll find it through the link below

Edited by CygnusV

See the recent threads on the forums about expansion vessels and the correct pressure settings for these and for accumulators. Surecal I've been told by a big Midlands chandlery won't guarantee their calorifiers if used without an EV on the hot water output leg. An EV is pointless if not set to the correct pressure when the water system is depressurised. It should then be at the pressure at which the water pump switches off.

Interestin

I bought our calorifier about 4 years ago and at that time (I discovered) they were supplied with a 2 BAR (about 30PSI) pressure relief valve as standard. We had upgraded our water pump some months prior to a 40PSI Johnson so the PRV on the calorifier blew out continuously making it unusable. When I contacted Surecal they seemed nonplussed that I should own a pump with such a high operating pressure! They did agree to swap the PRV for a 3 BAR unit - but wouldn't despatch it before I returned the old unit. This was clearly NOT very convenient for me but maybe understandable given current Scrote levels.

Are you sure you are remembering the correct numbers, (i.e. 2 bar originally, changed to 3 bar).

I ask, because the current standard specification for a new one shows a 4 bar PRV.

Ours came with 3 bar, some years ago, and I understood some time afterwards they started being sup[plied with 4 bar.

I'm surprised it was ever 2 bar - I would have thought that would be too marginal for many of the pumps used on narrow boat, many of which cut out at 30psi, which is actually marginally more than 2 bar, and hence leaking past sounds very likely indeed.

Just installed a 40ltr Surecal and can confirm they come with a 4 bar prv. Also they require an expansion vessel in the hot circuit.

So far the thing seems ok, Surecals Matthew Battle was very helpful with my idiot queries during installation.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Maybe consider replace the 4 bar PRV with a 3 bar one that includes a gauge, about £10 from Ebay, very handy for diagnosing pump pressure and expansion vessel problems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boiler-Safety-Pressure-Relief-Valve-1-2-BSP-3-BAR-/261169027077

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Ours is 50 litres iirc. It's fine for two for the sort of use you speak of, but might struggle to manage a third shower daily I think.

It depends a bit on whether you have a vertical one or horizontal. Vertical ones in my experience work better, heating more if their contents and/or keeping the heated water hot longer. The vertical calorifier in a previous boat was of similar size to our current one but seemed to deliver more usable hot water each day.

If you can fit in a 70 l vertical unit I'd go for that. The horizontal equivalent should do what you need if a vertical one can't be accommodated, but I'd be less sure in saying that.

I echo Trackman's suggestions - - and add the caveat that, (of course) it helps the daily shower routine if you can stagger the shower times and give the immersion or engine time to heat a little more water. I would also suggest that (if your electrical systems allow) go for a 2Kw immersion, as a 1Kw unit takes a fair old while to heat a 55 Ltr calorifier (1Kw - takes 3 hours to heat from 15C to 60C)