Another eviction

sueb

Featured Posts

Err... this is the exact reason I bought a boat to live on in 1977. Nothing changes.

Anyway if base rates returned to 15% then house prices would fall to peanuts again. But youngsters would still not be able to buy them because mortgage rates would once again be sky high and lenders would refuse to lend at sensible multiples, because house prices are falling

Lenders were bending over backwards to give mortgages to first time buyers in the 80s and, despite the interest rates being high, house prices were rising throughout the decade.

After I sold my first house I was being offered 120% mortgages and up to 5 times my salary and house prices were rising.

Hardly a reluctance to lend...unlike recent times despite low interest rates and falling house prices.

Lenders were bending over backwards to give mortgages to first time buyers in the 80s and, despite the interest rates being high, house prices were rising throughout the decade.

After I sold my first house I was being offered 120% mortgages and up to 5 times my salary and house prices were rising.

Hardly a reluctance to lend...unlike recent times despite low interest rates and falling house prices.

That last is a key to the reluctance to lend. When house prices are rising, the lender is almost certain to get all their money back if there's a problem, which is almost the only thing that counts to the programs that decide on loans nowadays. If house prices are falling or static, they're not. Recent figures show that a lot of people owe more than their house is currently worth.

Higher loan to value mortgages are starting to reappear again.

That last is a key to the reluctance to lend. When house prices are rising, the lender is almost certain to get all their money back if there's a problem, which is almost the only thing that counts to the programs that decide on loans nowadays. If house prices are falling or static, they're not. Recent figures show that a lot of people owe more than their house is currently worth.

They also show that a lot don't.

Higher loan to value mortgages are starting to reappear again.

I'm not sure that is a good thing.

I've just had a quick look and the interests rates for high LTV mortgages are extremely high and, considering the high house prices, compared to the 80s repayments are proportionately much higher than back then.

I'm not sure that is a good thing.

I've just had a quick look and the interests rates for high LTV mortgages are extremely high and, considering the high house prices, compared to the 80s repayments are proportionately much higher than back then.

Neither am I to be frank. Was just saying!

Surely most brokers sell boats from their laptops. So yes he was running a brokerage from his mooring which is against the terms and conditions he signed up for.

Whilst not disagreeing with the general thrust of your argument, if the only part of the business run from the boat/mooring was using his laptop, it is pretty hard to argue that that actually amounts running a business from there. You could equally well argue that the business was run from his website provider's server farm, where the online data accessed by his customers was actually held. If a business owner can't keep a backup copy of data in his home, or make phone calls or think through business decisions in his own home then nobody could be in business!

Different of course if he has customers visiting, or has business post delivered to the mooring.

• 2 weeks later...

Didums!

Would you like your teddy bear back oh and the dummy now?

Surely most brokers sell boats from their laptops. So yes he was running a brokerage from his mooring which is against the terms and conditions he signed up for.

I'm not sure how much more black and white you would like it to be. Then again I'm sure you would probably argue black was white!

My how this thread has gained a squeaky wheel... <<>>... If you want to have a go at each other go to another channel.

For the record Rod has traded boats since before he arrived in Poplar (around 2000) and was asked by BWML to assist selling a boat before they did the "Exclusive" with Boatshed. More on this shortly but first some good news -

Rod met with BWML today and the matter is settled. The eviction order is withdrawn biggrin.png

Although breaking of T&C's was not mentioned in the eviction letter, Rod has agreed to stop trading boats. it's been over a year since anything sold and at 1.5% (Yes, that's one and a half) commission it's no loss. Incidentally, Boatshed never had a problem with Rods sideline and when Rod met with Derek Newton on 19 Dec 2013 Derek decried Rods commission as "No business at all". initial enquiries also indicate that stipulation of a single market is very likely illegal. Certainly this practice was outlawed in the mobile home market, oh yes... That has some regulation...

The allegations of being abusive to staff remain unsubstantiated and not mentioned... Could it be it was alleged in a fit of pique?

As a leaving comment look for my new topic - "Boaters regard themselves as second class citizens who deserve being thrashed by the marina owners, doffing their caps, and move off the marina or sell the boat as they clearly shouldn't have one"...

Andy smile.png

Edited by Grace & Favour
Removed personal insults

Jeez we have some knobs on here of late!

If selling boats wasn't an issue why has he agreed to stop?

And would you really want to stay somewhere where they obviously don't want you and I'm sure you are going to feel less than welcome? The eviction order may have been withdrawn but that doesn't mean all is going to be rosy for those concerned.

I fully expect we will more on this story this year. "Old man hounded out of marina" or similar headlines no doubt.

That's lovely, but the opposite is to just roll over & die, let them scam you out of everything...

So to go along with that, those early pioneers that reclaimed the waterways we all enjoy today, after they had been allowed to fall in to rack & ruin, should have not bothered... They fought the system & won, but now you reccommend we dont fight the system.

• Greenie 1

That's lovely, but the opposite is to just roll over & die, let them scam you out of everything...

So to go along with that, those early pioneers that reclaimed the waterways we all enjoy today, after they had been allowed to fall in to rack & ruin, should have not bothered... They fought the system & won, but now you reccommend we dont fight the system.

But thats just the thing. No one is scamming anyone.frusty.gif

By claiming 'rights'.....by wasting the limited resources we have .

Yeah these nasty people claiming rights and all that stuff.

Presumably you don't believe you should have any 'rights' or are the 'rights' you enjoy just more important other peoples' and, if removed, perhaps you would waste limited resources trying to get them back?

Rights are something we should all fight for and then, hopefully, if we lose ours someone will be there to fight alongside us.

• Greenie 1

I love this forum !

Found this topic interesting, in the early hours and trying finishing of this morning,

But keep giving my self a scare, making myself jump,every time I drop off, its when the iPad drops onto my chest, I jump back awake

I can't keep count of the times I keep doing it

Don't understand why we keep resisting the sleep

Ot do other folks suffer this phenomenon ?

Scarey isn't it?

Col

I love this forum !

Found this topic interesting, in the early hours and trying finishing of this morning,

But keep giving my self a scare, making myself jump,every time I drop off, its when the iPad drops onto my chest, I jump back awake

I can't keep count of the times I keep doing it

Don't understand why we keep resisting the sleep

Ot do other folks suffer this phenomenon ?

Scarey isn't it?

Col

I wasn't going to respond to Carl's post, you've convinced me I should

Richard

• Greenie 1

but now you reccommend we dont fight the system.

You didn't read / understand it all did you ?

I also mentioned BW and CaRT.

They have to fight the system where... instead of maintaining the canal, they have to get embroiled in 'petitions' and legal fights.

In turn..they are fighting 'our' system of claiming rights and taking out court cases.

We cheer the underdog...who has been allowed to stay free of charge, pay less than market rate for a mooring or ignore the terms of their license, then we wonder..."Why is there no money to fix this lock ?"

It's a shame that more people are fighting to establish rights than are fighting to get the money in to save the system.

You didn't read / understand it all did you ?

They have to fight the system where... instead of maintaining the canal, they have to get embroiled in 'petitions' and legal fights.

In turn..they are fighting 'our' system of claiming rights and taking out court cases.

I don't think you understand the role of CRT.

If they were just a canal maintenance organisation then it would have been far simpler to just farm the job out by CCT to a civil engineering company, like they do with the roads.

The waterways are a far more complex deal where they are an enforcing authority, a tourist information centre, a marketing company, a museum curator and much more, which means that they have to take into account the relevant legislation and, you'll be sorry to hear, peoples' rights.

I wasn't going to respond to Carl's post, you've convinced me I should

Very good but I prefer...

• Greenie 1

From what I understand, back in the day when IWA 1st started, BW where deliberately running down the system even though their mandate from parliament was to keep it running.

Now I'm not at all up on my history, but I think these people took BW to court to force them to do what the law said BW should have been doing, when in fact BW where doing the exact opposite. So how did that fit in with wasting BWs money by making them get embroiled in legal fights & petitions.

I understand what you are trying to saying, but it aint all moonlight & roses.

Didnt the OP in this thread fight to not get evicted for following the complaints procedure, apparently it's now been sorted.

We KNOW that if we live on a boat, we have few rights...so why suddenly think we have found a 'chink' and we should have rights, I don't know.

There was a time ( within living memory ) when if you rented a house you had very few rights. You would have known about that too.

Keith

Yeah these nasty people claiming rights and all that stuff.

Presumably you don't believe you should have any 'rights' or are the 'rights' you enjoy just more important other peoples' and, if removed, perhaps you would waste limited resources trying to get them back?

Rights are something we should all fight for and then, hopefully, if we lose ours someone will be there to fight alongside us.

Absolutely spot on Carl, have a greenie.

Keith