Gas bombing creature infestation...?

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

My thoughts exactly.

These things are pretty specific for : Ants...bed bugs....wasps...spiders..

There is not normally a 'one things kills all'...

Just because it has lots of legs...doesn't mean it will die...

it does work on spiders. It works by attacking the "shell" they have around them. The types of insects the chemical works on also have the same sort of casing on their bodies. The effect isn't dependent on the number of legs. :D I've used it before and it's worked. And the vendor has also confirmed it works. And the non aerosol hand spray of the same chemical also works. I've seen it

The "normal" flyspray stuff quoted above uses the same chemical. The difference is the aerosol gasses and chemical fragrances they add aggravate my allergies so I don't use them as I'd have to leave my home and vent the place every time I did!

I much prefer my one hit bomb method where I can go away for a few hours and it works.

Anyway I wasn't asking if it would work because I know it does. I was asking about safety with boat bilges. Thanks everyone who's added a reply to that effect. It looks like I need to be mindful of a potential powder explosion (and that's resolved by opening windows afterwards) and I need to find out what the propellant is.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I used the smokers to get rid of an awful clothes moth infestation in my father n laws house, it had got so bad they were eating the carpets, I once left a sheepskin coat there for a few months and discovered they had eaten the lining .

The smokers worked, anyway, I am pleased to report.

You will need to empty all your cupboards and drawers out though.

I'm lucky enough not to suffer from arachnophobia and love having spiders on my boat. Not only do they eat flies which is wonderful but they are quite fascinating - I've just bought a spider identification leaflet, and watching them weave massive webs last summer was just amazing. By switching on and off certain lights one night I managed to guide a load of flies into a web.

On my boat, the spiders are likely to pickle the conkers in vinegar, tie them to string, and donk me over the head with them.

I have squillions of conkers added to or replaced every year. Not very effective for me

Just how bad is your spider problem?

Is it really worth all the hassle of spraying and airing?

I don't really like spiders, in fact I really don't like spiders but for the odd one or two we get each year in the cabin (well the ones we find anyway) I can live with OH hunting them down and chucking them outside.

We get plenty on the outside, they seem to like making webs on the bow rails. For some reason though they don't seem to bother me.

We had one make it the whole trip from Lincoln to the Norfolk Broads, Southwold and back to Lincoln. Think he packed his bags and buggered off after that mind. We never saw him again after we got back ?

1. Very bad

2. I'm phobic

It's really not a good combo. So yes, it's very worth it!

just to say she is

just one glimpse of an admittedly large spider on Friday turned bsp into an athlete of Olympic standards, jumping from her well deck onto the bank with one easy bound

i have sorta got used to it by now seeing pud move from lounging lush with fine whiskey in hand to 100m sprint is a sight to behold

just to say she is

just one glimpse of an admittedly large spider on Friday turned bsp into an athlete of Olympic standards, jumping from her well deck onto the bank with one easy bound

i have sorta got used to it by now seeing pud move from lounging lush with fine whiskey in hand to 100m sprint is a sight to behold

laugh.png Yeah, I did move pretty sharpish. But dang! That was a BIG spider on the bow locker lid. I saw it physically stand up and come at me!

That's the flavour of spider I keep getting in the front cabin. I think they're chewing through the steel and strolling in. :P What am I saying!? Clearly they're big enough to just open the door.

Edited to add: "Lounging lush"!?!?! biggrin.png

We get massive very fast spiders darting across the floor, can't half shift. The boat has smaller dusty looking sluggish one that I ignore.

Out of the box thinking, what about the aerosol of chemicals that are meant to keep cat fleas from breeding. I never saw many spiders when we used these treatments but they are back now we have no cats. Mind you there's nobody to play with them till they break either.

How do conkers work?

They rely on the placebo effect.

Spend hours faffing about collecting conkers and hanging them up all around your boat, then watching hopefully as the spider season progresses has you really WANTING them to work.

But they don't.

I've givenn up with conkers and use Amiral Spider Spray now. It's astonishingly effective. The instant you press the spray button hundreds of them emerge from all sorts of places you never realised they hid in, and leg it for the exits. Most impressive, and they don't come back in later, either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPIDERGONE-AMIRAL-ANTI-SPIDER-SPRAY-SPIDER-DETERRENT-/140731836217?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item20c4456739

Highly recommended by me, and no I'm not the seller, or connected in any way!

MtB

Amiral is good, but then it nearly killed me the first time I used it too. Even if you cover your face with something, you have to work from one end of the boat to the other with it and it really is toxic and pervasive, despite avoiding the spray as much as possible, by the time I got outside I was choking and hacking and gasping with streaming eyes for a good five minutes. I haven't used a bug bomb but I would not recommend the spray Amiral to an asthmatic unless you have someone who can do it for you while you wait outside!

Amiral is good, but then it nearly killed me the first time I used it too. Even if you cover your face with something, you have to work from one end of the boat to the other with it and it really is toxic and pervasive, despite avoiding the spray as much as possible, by the time I got outside I was choking and hacking and gasping with streaming eyes for a good five minutes. I haven't used a bug bomb but I would not recommend the spray Amiral to an asthmatic unless you have someone who can do it for you while you wait outside!

that would be me then

• 2 weeks later...

We used an electronic/ultrasonic repellent thing. Requires 240V AC and you need to leave it on all the time.

Doesn't completely get rid of spiders, but they don't like it. bought on 28day-return-if-you-don't-like deal - after a week on board the wife and stepson refused to let me unplug the devices.

I'll try and find the make that we bought.

The effectiveness is a bit restricted by the room they are in; we found that there would be no spiders near the device, but the adjacent room (toilet/washroom) still got lots of spiders.

1. Very bad

2. I'm phobic

It's really not a good combo. So yes, it's very worth it!

You have my sympathy, phobias suck.

I used the smokers a few months back and they finally got rid of a really bad flea infestation that had been impervious to previous "bombing" attempts with the more conventional spray bombs. The smoke bombs create a really dense fog that gets into everything, which is what makes them so effective.

Boric Acid Powder can kill some insects/spiders when they walk through it. BAP needs to be used in a dry area that is unseen, but it can be a good prophylactic if you have dark, dry corners where spiders like to congregate.

If you use the smokers and you are really sensitive, you should probably allow a little more time than the directions specify before you go in and open the boat to ventilate it. That stuff tends to linger.