Shad's Relaunch

Tiggers

Featured Posts

The BCN plate is in the correct position for the boat in Anderton days. Some Joshers had the BCN plates mounted on the cabin sides at the stern end of the lower cabin panel surround as can be seen in this intriguing picture of "Dory".

gallery_5000_522_124697.jpg

What's that all about then? Or is it my terrible eyesight? It's got a motor's counter and ramshead, but they're sitting with their feet in what looks like a butty's hatches.

Edited by johnthebridge

I am sorry, I just wanted to reply to the points you made. I was very appreciative of the other comments you made and I certain was not referring to you as a bully. I understand your comments were purely due to a lack of knowledge

She was completely rebottomed, gunwales and panelling was replaced on the sb side (we have just done the port side) so we have just used the remaining money to do what we have done. Baring in mind she is completely composite (wooden bottom and cabin) it can be an expensive job

The gunwales, mast, stands, running gear etc have all been replaced over the past couple of years

David recently rang me in regards to what was happening at the museum and CRT in general.

This is good to know that the money was spent on Shad as David has never had any communication as far as I know from TWT since the press release. He had no communication when TWT finished and was not invited to carry on with CRT in charge, hence as far as I know his sponsorship then ceased. The reflection on TWT/CRT isn't good, hardly encouraging to sponsors, maybe your active group who is actually achieving results could point this out to the management.

What's that all about then? Or is it my terrible eyesight? It's got a motor's counter and ramshead, but they're sitting with their feet in what looks like a butty's hatches.

Dory has a rather chequered history, having been IIRC built as a motor boat, then converted to a butty, & then back to a motor again.

Whether that actually explains the picture I'm not sure..

Some of the GU 'Royalty' motors were built with 'hatches' like a butty, I believe, don't know whether any more conventional boats were.

Tim

Dory has a rather chequered history, having been IIRC built as a motor boat, then converted to a butty, & then back to a motor again.

Whether that actually explains the picture I'm not sure..

Some of the GU 'Royalty' motors were built with 'hatches' like a butty, I believe, don't know whether any more conventional boats were.

Tim

All very well, but this is neither (or both!) and how the hell do you steer the thing? If she stood up in the hatches, that woman looks as though she'd be able to walk under the tiller bar. And look at the height of the cabin doors.....

Edited by johnthebridge

There is a photograph of a similar arrangement on a Severn & Canal boat in the Railway & Canal Historical Society's collection.

I hope it will display below, but never have much luck trying to get photos to show up . . .

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/uploads/gallery/album_535/gallery_886_535_6003.jpg

Hugh

Well I wasn't going to add to this thread but I can agree with the comments made by tiggers about bullying on this forum, as someone who was a longtime member of this forum before posting, on his first post was shot down by what I thought were the well "respected & knowledgable" people I can agree with her assumption of bullying. Probably because then! heaven forbid I was a lowly hire boater looking for some information. Now to the current time, as someone who works @ the NWM and was heavily involved with SHAD & worked with tiggers and the team on the restoration I wish the do ers would come & do & the non do ers would shut up and stop criticising! It's a pity that tiggers is a legal eagle, because she would then post on here the truth as she tells me over coffee!!!. Considering the resources and equipment the heritage boatyard have I think they have done an amazing job, I just wish people could have seen the condition of SHAD when she was stripped back. Well I won't "HOGG" this post anymore other than to let you know that I was the steerer on it's relaunch and had tiggers stood next to me making sure I didn't scratch it in a howling gale by the way (no pressure). Just like to say WELL DONE! Dave, Tiggers, Millie, Alex, MartYn and all the volunteers who made this happen.

Andy B. (MCA Boatmaster /CRT Certified engineer & from the Black Country )

• Greenie 1

Probably because then! heaven forbid I was a lowly hire boater looking for some information.

Actually, iirc, some people took exception to your derogatory comments about other boaters (I seem to recall you described them as like something out of "Deliverance").

Were very lucky to have people like you giving up their time. The passion, knowledge, skills and effort that comes from the volunteers never ceases to amaze me.

And I'm glad to say he didn't scratch the paintwork, despite being asked to put her in a spot you'd struggle to get a canoe in! Thanks again Andy :)

As did the folk that criticised the museum.

One rule for you, one for everyone else?

Oh yeah, because that's the same isn't it Carl..

What was put forward here was someone sharing something she was incredibly proud of, and news to show that we are doing good work at the museum despite what people think, and keeping people up to date, so don't give me that rubbish that they were just saying what was infront of them. We all know that people like Laurence despise the museum and will under no circumstances choose to see they've turned a massive corner and so instead of not saying nothing, they have to bitch.

My mother always taught me that if you do not have anything good to say, then don't say anything

I agree, I was one of those having/come/worked here for 20 years, but I wish you could come here and sit here in front of my nice warm fire on my nice warm modern boat with bow thrusters (hang & crucify me) and discuss this over warm beer/cold cider face to face rather than here on an open forum, you will always be welcome. Please PM me.

Victoria (now owned by Mike Askin) was like that when I looked at her for sale in the late 80s/early 90s (but had a coventional back deck by the time Mike bought her). No idea if she was originally like that.

My mother always taught me that if you do not have anything good to say, then don't say anything

Being mischievous - I have nothing good to say about racism, Russia's position on gay rights, China's human rights record, dog fighting, sexism, (morris dancing) - however, I think saying nothing at all would be a very dangerous position to take. "First they came for ....etc"

edit - spelling

Edited by Speedwheel
  • Greenie 1

Victoria (now owned by Mike Askin) was like that when I looked at her for sale in the late 80s/early 90s (but had a coventional back deck by the time Mike bought her). No idea if she was originally like that.

The well deck on Victoria was put in in 1963 when she worked the BCN. Her steerers kept hitting their heads on the bridges. I think Tim put it back to as built condition.

Oh yeah, because that's the same isn't it Carl..

You're right it isn't the same.

Most people made valid comments about a museum that they have an interest in and they believe has a responsibility towards its collection.

I, and others, felt that the museum was failing to meet that responsibility, made sensible criticism about the museum and, when you demonstrated that things were changing, acknowledged that and, in my case, apologised and thanked you for correcting my presumptions based on past experience.

andyb116, on the other hand made derogatory comments about a group of people and their boats, based solely on a brief observation.

If you want to see "smashed up boats" then one only has to look at the majority of the museum's collection but any comments about those are met with cries of "bullying".

Yes the museum is making progress but there is still plenty there that more judgemental folk could, at a cursory glance, dismiss as "smashed up boats" and make equally judgemental comments about those associated with those boats.

There was no "bullying" of andyb116 when he made his derogatory comments, merely people attempting to address his prejudices.

David recently rang me in regards to what was happening at the museum and CRT in general.

This is good to know that the money was spent on Shad as David has never had any communication as far as I know from TWT since the press release. He had no communication when TWT finished and was not invited to carry on with CRT in charge, hence as far as I know his sponsorship then ceased. The reflection on TWT/CRT isn't good, hardly encouraging to sponsors, maybe your active group who is actually achieving results could point this out to the management.

Cant help but think you are either misadvised or not telling the whole truth there Laurence? From my understanding, all TWT Vice Presidents were invited to become Friends of CRT. Only Sonia Rolt turned this down as she was becoming too frail, but Timothy West, Miranda, John Craven, AND David Suchet all became founder members.

I am also quite surprised that he was asking you on updates on the museum baring in mind you have washed yours hands of it, have no dealings any more and are openly anti the museum, and of course when he is a founder member...

• Greenie 1

You're right it isn't the same.

Most people made valid comments about a museum that they have an interest in and they believe has a responsibility towards its collection.

I, and others, felt that the museum was failing to meet that responsibility, made sensible criticism about the museum and, when you demonstrated that things were changing, acknowledged that and, in my case, apologised and thanked you for correcting my presumptions based on past experience.

andyb116, on the other hand made derogatory comments about a group of people and their boats, based solely on a brief observation.

If you want to see "smashed up boats" then one only has to look at the majority of the museum's collection but any comments about those are met with cries of "bullying".

Yes the museum is making progress but there is still plenty there that more judgemental folk could, at a cursory glance, dismiss as "smashed up boats" and make equally judgemental comments about those associated with those boats.

There was no "bullying" of andyb116 when he made his derogatory comments, merely people attempting to address his prejudices.

I think a lot of people have made valid comments about the past, and I was so grateful that on the previous occasion you had given me the time and listened to what I said and agreed they have turned a corner. Of course there are still boats in a dreadful state at the moment, that was never going to be a quick fix, but hey, were getting there. We did Shad as a stop gap when we waited for Ferret to come out, and because we had the funds available then and there (like we did with Ferret and Mendip). We are currently fund raising for Merak and hoping to get started on her as soon as possible (very excited about that as shes one of my favourite boats) and theyre close to getting the funds to completely restore George. Its not just the staffing at the museum drastically, but also the mindset, and we are all determined to get those boats restored properly, rather than just tarting them up with a bit of paint to make them appear alright.

So yes, I do think it is uncalled for that peoples first response is pulling apart good work (particularly as they have no idea just how much time and effort went in to getting the colours right, it was a tense couple of weeks!). I also think that anyone who thinks that since we have turned a corner, all those boats in a bad way should be completed by now, has no idea just how much work, time and money goes into it.

• Greenie 1