Shad's Relaunch

Tiggers

Featured Posts

Shad has finally been relaunched at the National Waterways Museum after extensive work.

1940063_10153837412250360_713567176_n_zp

1899204_10153837344985360_455579281_n_zp

The work completed includes replacement of a number of pieces of sheering on both the cabin top and sides, the majority of panelling on the port side, new gunwale the length of the cabin, new running gear, a number of pieces replaced in the backcabin, new back doors, new slides, full engine service, new ash strips, all new livery, complete redecoration of the backcabin plus lots more. Of course, she has also been reunited with her original BCN plate thanks to the generosity of many. We are all incredibly proud and a lot of peoples time and effort have gone into this. Now on to Ferret!

• Greenie 1

Shad has finally been relaunched at the National Waterways Museum after extensive work.

1940063_10153837412250360_713567176_n_zp

1899204_10153837344985360_455579281_n_zp

The work completed includes replacement of a number of pieces of sheering on both the cabin top and sides, the majority of panelling on the port side, new gunwale the length of the cabin, new running gear, a number of pieces replaced in the backcabin, new back doors, new slides, full engine service, new ash strips, all new livery, complete redecoration of the backcabin plus lots more. Of course, she has also been reunited with her original BCN plate thanks to the generosity of many. We are all incredibly proud and a lot of peoples time and effort have gone into this. Now on to Ferret!

Bootiful!

Looks nice but I am afraid the shade of blue is far to deep ACC boats had a lighter shade than that and also they were not glossy. I hope you invited David Suchet to the launch as he has funded Shad until the end of TWT,there seems no mention of this?

I'm sorry, but when if that is a re-launch was that put back in the water?

Very smart and tidy, and a lot of work has gone into it, but there's only blacking down to the rubbing guard, and rust patches and crud along the water line that indicates it's been in the water a while. I hope this isn't spoiling the ship for h'aporth of tar.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother trying to share good news. Shad was docked last year, an is coming out again soon as soon as we have the all clear on our bostocks. The colours we got from Tony Lewrey and also looking at mendips original doors, and that's was the only place we could put the bcn plate due to the diesel tanks. And I believe David was contacted.

Think this will be all from me on this website, I was so proud when she was done being the first boat I've worked on, and it just gets ruined by people pulling it to bits

And we also have pictures of shad clearly showing the registration number is on black. And if that pic was taken at the end of their days Lawrence's, it's likely the red would've faded, as reds do.

There was a good couple of weeks consultation over the colours, finding original parts of Anderton boats, speaking with tony and Phil Speight. I trust them over a picture

• Greenie 4

Sometimes I don't know why I bother trying to share good news. Shad was docked last year, an is coming out again soon as soon as we have the all clear on our bostocks. The colours we got from Tony Lewrey and also looking at mendips original doors, and that's was the only place we could put the bcn plate due to the diesel tanks. And I believe David was contacted.

Think this will be all from me on this website, I was so proud when she was done being the first boat I've worked on, and it just gets ruined by people pulling it to bits

That is a real shame Tiggers but reading some of the pathetic comments that have been posted in this thread perfectly understandable.

It's one thing being a bit of a 'restoration anorak' and liking to see things restored as carbon copies (which is no doubt what will be used as justification) but quite another to diminish some ones hard work just to grandstand and showcase your 'superior' knowledge of a subject.

Totally and utterly pathetic.

As some of us have said It looks superb, don't be put off by a few comments from those that clearly are so up themselves that they felt the need to say what they did.

Looks nice but I am afraid the shade of blue is far to deep ACC boats had a lighter shade than that and also they were not glossy. I hope you invited David Suchet to the launch as he has funded Shad until the end of TWT,there seems no mention of this?

I wonder if next time if you want to 'put down' someones four months of hard work or point out that they may have made some sort of error regarding 'launching ceremony protocol' you might want to avail yourself of the private message system.

That way you can look less of a 'Know it all clever clogs' and still get your point across but in a much less public way.

Tiggers, please re consider, re: leaving the forum.

One of the problems with restoration is you will always get "The Rivet Counters" who put in their pennyworth which is not always constructive. One of the posters really should have known better.

I for one enjoy your posts as I have a interest in the historical side of our canals and value your input.

PS well said above Martin.

Edited by Ray T

I wonder if next time if you want to 'put down' someones four months of hard work or point out that they may have made some sort of error regarding 'launching ceremony protocol' you might want to avail yourself of the private message system.

That way you can look less of a 'Know it all clever clogs' and still get your point across but in a much less public way.

I agree entirely - really unnecessary comments. You and your colleagues have done a great job Tiggers and don't let anybody sap your enthusiasm for what you have achieved.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother trying to share good news.

Because the silent majority love reading it. Shad looks lovely, and let's face it, you were never going to satisfy every expert no matter what you did. I've never found a group of historical experts who agree on every point

Congratulations on the conclusion of an excellent project - what's next?

Richard

Tiggers, as someone who has restored half a dozen historic boats, to varying standards it must be admitted, and is in the process of yet another long drawn out epic please believe me when I say that Shad looks very original and well finished.. There are always people, especially the self appointed experts who often have never tried to restore anything and certainly haven't considered paying out of their own pockets for the privelege who will criticise.; Just smile at them and ask to see their rivets. Regards, HughC.

• Greenie 1

And we also have pictures of shad clearly showing the registration number is on black. And if that pic was taken at the end of their days Lawrence's, it's likely the red would've faded, as reds do.

There was a good couple of weeks consultation over the colours, finding original parts of Anderton boats, speaking with tony and Phil Speight. I trust them over a picture

As others have said, don't let a few comments dishearten you and drive you from the forum. I've enjoyed the updates and followed the progress of you and the other trainees via Facebook and think you're doing a great job and very lucky!

Shad looks great. Keep up the good work and keep posting.

... any way red fades, any fool knows that.

How a boat painted red appears when it was first built or repainted during it's working life and when it reaches the end of it's working life will be different......

Edited by The Dog House

As one of those rounded on, for not joining the back slapping masses, I'll respond.

Yes , the paint job looks great, and there has without a doubt been a lot of work involved to get Shad where she is now. And plenty of people have already pointed this out, and no doubt plenty more will. With or without knowledge.

I commented on the state of the hull, because the hull is what keeps the boat afloat.I did not critisise, or put down the rest of the work, just pointed out that the hull needed blacking, urgently, judging by the state of the waterline.

And the BCN plate looks out of place. As far as I am aware (and I'm no expert, but did own the front end of a 115 year old BCN boat, and spoke about it with Malcolm Braine when he surveyed my boat), the BCN plate was mounted to the forward bulkhead, not on the cabin bulkhead. Where it is on Shad, looks like an ornament..

If you think this is unfair nit-picking, you should try showing a scale model you made on a modelling website... arguments about the correct shade of paint of WW II vehicles are never ending..

Don't get upset about such comments Tiggers. People who frequent the historic section are interested and keen that some aspects of canal history are not strayed too far from original - it happens. Any subject matter that is in the vein of restoration or renovation be it fountain pens, cars or traction engines will have a core who want things just so. Given colour prints ability to capture some things inaccurately, and given that paint - especially red and blue - discolour over years especially near the end of their working lives - SHAD looks pretty good. As to the registration number being on black, most were like that, and from Laurence's old image it looks to me that that was on black too - but there your are, perhaps my eyes are deceiving me.

I don't know if the hull has been checked for thickness, perhaps all is well there, but it needs blacking properly.

Edited by Derek R.