Droitwich this weekend.

Chickadee

Featured Posts

So I haven't been on the boat for more than a day since we moved off a year and a half a go but now we have 4 days spare. We'd be leaving from Droitwich marina this weekend but i wondered if we can actually get anywhere. It looks like tardebigge is shut for work. Droitwich I'm guessing we wouldn't get under the bridge at the moment so that leaves heading down to Worcester. Is there any point, would we get there? Does anyone know what the basin like? I've been sick most of January so it will be nice to get out the house and just have a change of scenery but I'm starting to think we're not going to get anywhere.

Others will be along I'm sure, we did this length a few times when I had Ripple at Saul, which IIRC you were also based in? It's pleasant enough and a good stretch of the legs as it were. Not sure how long Mariane is but Ripple couldn't turn between Viking afloat at Lowesmoor and Diglis, so if you want to pull up short Viking Afloat is where to turn back.

4 days should do it easily enough, although in this weather you might wish you hadn't... There's a pub by Offerton Locks should you need to seek refuge

edited to add the basin is pleasant at Diglis but you'll only use it to turn in, moor along the canal approaching it if you go that far

Edited by magpie patrick

6.5 hrs according to Canal Plan to go from Droitwich Spa to Diglis. We did it in a bit less last summer but with more day light hours and better weather. We moored overnight in the basin and walked down by the river but you wouldn't be doing that at the moment.

Thanks all. Should have said other than the G&S this is our most used bit of canal so I do know where I want to go but even though we've been up in high water before this is totally unpresidented. I do know the sports field floods sometimes as you go out of worcs so I wondered if this would be an issue. We will be driving up from Glous and might need to stop in the city (if we can get in the city) so I supose we can always have a look at it from the other end before we leave.

Worcester's lovely. Too many good pubs (try the Plough, the Cardinal's Hat, the King Charles II, the Dragon, and I'm told the Firefly is good); superb cathedral; and, right now, the Severn at its mightiest...

Yes, but we were just watching pictures of the river on the National news.

"Good grief, we went under that bridge!" says OH, looking at footage of something where only the very top of the arch is now above waterline!

Check out Diglis bottom lock 5 photos down! http://www.itv.com/news/central/2014-02-10/flooding-pictures-midlands-submerged/ This lock always felt a long way down to me when i've been in it. Whats that at the lowest about 8 or 10 feet!?

I've grown up in the area and went to college at the Tech right next to the river so i've seen some floods but this looks like the worst. I think we're going to head towards Worcester for a bit but if it looks a bit silly we'll head back up to black prince and turn there. I'm quite happy to just have a little pootle for our first run out in a while.

Yes, but we were just watching pictures of the river on the National news.

"Good grief, we went under that bridge!" says OH, looking at footage of something where only the very top of the arch is now above waterline!

Indeed. Worth following the local EA area manager on Twitter for some faintly horrifying photos - https://twitter.com/davethroupea . Don't think we'll be eating in the Old Rectifying House for a while. :(