Marinas Near Chester, Capenhurst to be exact.

JBoaB

Featured Posts

This is very early days but I'm considering change of job and can't face selling the house. I'm considering buying a boat to live onboard throughout the week, possibly full time if I take to it so that I can rent out the house. I've spent some time on a somebody elses boat and can just about keep it in the right direction (I was surprised how hard that was) but this would be my first time owning and living long term.

Right preamble over I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas suggestions of moorings/marinas near Chester. I find myself hoping to get the job now so that I have the excuse to make the jump. In fact if I don't I might just go ahead anyway.

Is Nantwich near Chester? I'm not an expert on geography of northern England as I try and avoid it due to all the crime, but I went to Chester Races a few months back and think I saw a sign for Nantwich while I was there. There is a brand new marina just opened there which would be good for transport links. I also went to Venitian Marina and Aqueduct Marina (Google for locations) to look at boats while I was in Chester, so neither of them can be too far away.

I can recomend tattenhall, our home marina, but also the national waterways museum @ Ellesmere Port, where I am @ the moment. You have to move for water & services, but only 2 locks (10 mins) up to reception/boatyard. And it's cheap.

Ahh but at the boat museum you have to dodge the sunken boats and noise from the holiday inn aircon or find yourself with a fisherman on your front deck chucking bait on your boat....oh and find that the trip boat is blocking the passage down the locks and that random paddles have been left up or unlike I was in the summer are you now welcomed when you arrive by boat?

Cheers

Gareth

Well the only sunken boats on the visitor moorings are two private ones, which we have no control over, even though we have raised one of them in the past a couple of times. I agree about the aircon, but then I would of thought any body with sence wouldn't, moor next to it. I,m actually typing this moored in that arm a couple of hundred feet from the AC plant and you can,t hear it, there was a wedding last night and the smoking area is directly opposite our bow, come midnight noise stopped and the doors were locked. Not had any problems with fishermen, hardly seen any. As for the lock paddles, that is a CRT/H&S official policy due to being a visitor attraction, all top paddles must be left open at all times when the locks not in use. As for the trip boat, it is kept where it is during the day because the MCA require we have fixed steps for the public to enter the boat and the boat has to be fixed directly to them when in use. I always move the boat at the end of the day to the end of its berth so there is room for people to use the locks outside of working hours, but as it is only on two ropes and not chained anyone could move it if they needed too. As for not being welcomed, I do agree, when myself and other volunteers are about we always go out of our way to try and help and welcome people. Well that's my two peneth, must go as I'm late for work and I need to go and open the locks and shift the trip boat to get water. (That is me being serious, not taking the pee)

Cheers.

Andy.