Shower tray

Featured Posts

The time has come to think about taking a shower.

I'm planning shower arrangements in my widebeam shell. is it normal practice to sink the shower tray between ribs. I have keelsons then ribs on top so would aim to go between top cross members and on top of keelsons. This would give me 70 mm between bottom of shower tray and baseplate. This would mean getting a waste trap to fit? I've seen it done with a standard waste trap and a whale gulper pump in another spot taking the water out. Anyone have any ideas or experience of this?

Merci

Looking to the future when seals may degrade/fail I would position the shower tray in such a way that you have easy access to the fittings underneath so that you can see if they are leaking and replace stuff if necessary.

Down between the ribs might give you extra headroom and look neat but it's going to be a pig to work on in future years

• Greenie 1

On my boat you open up a hatch in the outside wall from the bathroom, and get full access to the drain on the bath and the pump. It is all above floor level, but no reason why same arrangement shouldn't work if dropped down a bit. It's really good access, and definitely one of the things that said to me that it was going to be a well thought out boat, and made me want to buy her!

If only it had've been sunk below floor level, then maybe I'd have glimpsed some of the water in the bilges and the underside of the floor turning to mulch!

As said, you don't need a trap, just a waste connected to the pump. That is easier said than done sometimes. However, B&Q do a reasonably shallow combined waste and trap for big-hole modern shower trays, and which can be fitted from above. It's a fiddle, but basically you put the trap under the tray, lift it up to the tray with a bit of hooked wire and screw the waste down into the trap, then fit the grid bit into the waste.

You can get the water grid out and most of the trap's "works" without any more dismantling so it's cleanable from above if needed and it could also be given the Bizzard Scotchbrite filter treatment if wanted.

N

Standard shower trays tend to be about 760/780mm square. Even the resin stone ones need a pretty well continuous support under them and most of the installation instructions suggest they should be bedded in sand-and-cement mixture, which is not helpful in a boat. If your supports are 550 mm apart then I would expect trouble unless you can get more coverage. Maybe sacrifice 18 mm of headroom and use some well treated marine or WBP ply under the tray.

N

Most buildings are connected to either a sewer system or a septic tank. Both of those are sources of some pretty noxious gasses. To keep those gasses from entering the building, a "trap" is used to trap water in the drain line to block the gasses from passing.

Your shower is not connected to any source of noxious gas, so you do not need a trap.

Most shower trays are built to be installed on a floor. If you want to install the tray on framing, you'll need to find one with a reinforced floor. (Maybe that's the norm for the kind of trays you're looking at, IDK - but it's best to make sure.)

Do yourself a favor and make sure that all of your plumbing connections have good accessibility. In the case of your shower, the only thing that might ever leak is the seal where the drain passes through the floor. It's a simple task to replace that seal (gasket/ washer) from the top, so it's worth your while to fiddle with the drain pipe and do whatever it takes to make sure that it is real secure directly under the hole in the shower tray.

Good luck with your project!

I used a shower drain intended for a caravan shower tray which I bought from CAK tanks in Kenilworth. It has no trap but exits sideways at 90 degrees. I attached this to a length of flexible pipe which goes straight to the drain pump and then from the pump to the skin fitting. never had a problem with it.

We had it made by Wesley marine windows (Newark)

There are many different coloured panels to choose from, they also supplied the whale gulpher pump and 90deg waste which comes with a non return valve that fits underneath the shower tray. The waste is self sensing so no need for a switch. This waste system only needs about 4" underneath the shower tray. The pump fits in the bottom of the pod under a removable panel and is very easy to fit once you plan out the pipe work. The shower trays come in different sizes and the cubicles in different heights (ours is 1600 high)

If you need any more info feel free to ask.

Dave

ps the g clamps are an added extra, but only come in red and orange :-)

Edited by davehull

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm thinking of installing shower tray and whale gulper pump (at the moment it discharges into bilge and uses bilge pump) . What stops the water from the outlet which is higher than the tray from draining back into the shower tray. I'm assuming the pump should be sited next to the tray?