dead animals in locks

harve90

Featured Posts

On a recent trip from Tring to Tardebigge I was surprised to see a dead animals floating in several of the locks along the route. Although the creatures were floating close to the boat it was hard to tell what species I was looking at because they were very bloated. I think they may have been Beavers, all looked identical. Could these animals have been nesting in the locks and died when the paddles were opened. Has anyone else seen the like of this. I saw at least eight. Not the same one eight times just thought I would mention that as if replies on this forum are true to form ...... well you know what I mean. Anyhow is this a common sight at this time of year or am I unwittingly guilty of a one man cull of species specific wildlife?

On a recent trip from Tring to Tardebigge I was surprised to see a dead animals floating in several of the locks along the route. Although the creatures were floating close to the boat it was hard to tell what species I was looking at because they were very bloated. I think they may have been Beavers, all looked identical. Could these animals have been nesting in the locks and died when the paddles were opened. Has anyone else seen the like of this. I saw at least eight. Not the same one eight times just thought I would mention that as if replies on this forum are true to form ...... well you know what I mean. Anyhow is this a common sight at this time of year or am I unwittingly guilty of a one man cull of species specific wildlife?

i have no idea what you saw but i can with almost 100% certainty tell you it wasn't a beaver, i think there is a local large rodent that established itself after escaping from a private collection, called a Glis Glis , they may have been those?

Beaker, on 10 Feb 2014 - 9:22 PM, said:

I didn't know that beavers nested, I'm certainly not googling it! rolleyes.gif

disappointingly

http://admin.harunyahya.com/books/science/devotion/images_devotion/beaver3.jpg

i am very aware what a beavers lodge is and was just playing along with your light hearted post

"And some fell on stony ground."

Touche! tongue.png

ETA Can't find the acute accent on my tablet.

Edited by Beaker
  • Greenie 1

MtB wisdom regarding animal corpses in the cut:

Sometime animals die and fall in. Other times animals fall in and die.

There. Was that helpful?

:)

MtB

Nope.

Sometimes animals die when they are thrown in..

To big to be Glis glis and not any kind of dog. Sorry I am no expert on Beavers (some would disagree) accommodations, lodge it is then I won't forget that one again. I should have taken a photo of one, the animals in the lock I mean, not a Beaver. It's a mystery.

Edited by harve90

To big to be Glis glis and not any kind of dog. Sorry I am no expert on Beavers (some would disagree) accommodations, lodge it is then I won't forget that one again. I should have taken a photo of one, the animals in the lock I mean, not a Beaver. It's a mystery.

Corpses swell when in water..

Rabbits are the most common bloated corpse around here

Richard

Rabbits the most common by far round this way as well

Followed by small rodents killed by my cat

I saw a moorhen surfing on a dead cat near Coventry

and I did have to flush a dead sheep out of a lock once

Muntjac deer are the size of dogs and there have been otters sited but if there was that many it points to a more common animal. Guess shows importance of keeping cameras handy,. I heard in our local tescos that the camera snapping brigade had stampeded one of the otters seen locally to its death--not quite sure how as I left because it appeared a highly amusing topic amongst the staff.