jp starter ring gear

station tug

Featured Posts

me again!!

my lister jp has a marine type fly wheel...the ring gear isnt shrunk onto the fly wheel it looks like its been made and then bolted to the fly wheel...it looks like this

Lister_jp3m_marine_engine_001_zps958ca0f

picture stolen from marine power services (sorry)

can i get a modern 12v starter motor and a mount for the starter easily??

if so were from........promt from tim....my engine is industrial and the flywheel is at the oposit end to this one

Edited by station tug

me again!!

my lister jp has a marine type fly wheel...the ring gear isnt shrunk onto the fly wheel it looks like its been made and then bolted to the fly wheel...it looks like this

Lister_jp3m_marine_engine_001_zps958ca0f

picture stolen from marine power services (sorry)

can i get a modern 12v starter motor and a mount for the starter easily??

if so were from........

Yes to the motor, no the mount will probably have to be fabricated & machined.

If your flywheel is on the opposite end to the pic above, it'll be a standard rotation starter, which makes life much easier.

A CA45 type is adequate (they have a different, metric, designation now which I can't remember), the one in the pic is a BS5 which is getting a bit scarce now, though Bosch might still be making their version of it.

Try talking to Middletons in City Road, Manchester if you don't know a good knowledgeable auto electrical supplier nearer to you. I believe there's a good one in Stoke, but can't remember the name.

Be aware that although the CA45 is a good motor, they don't like running from a low battery, that can kill them - shouldn't be an issue if you keep starter & domestic separate from one another.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

heres a few pics of the fly wheel and engine...the oil pressure gauge looked very rough the plastic lense was touching the indicator hand and was covered in paint....the last pic is of the other jp which has some interesting parts fitted....

IMAG0530_zpsb1b9753b.jpg

IMAG0536_zps1b1e330d.jpg

IMAG0547_zps7aaffd87.jpg

IMAG0550_zps65b7e9e0.jpg

IMAG0554_zps19bd41c2.jpg

IMAG0562_zpsbc478e3c.jpg

IMAG0556_zps367f2dc6.jpg